“Hotel with breathtaking sea view. Brilliant and always smiling service.”

Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Agios Gordios
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Hotel has the breathtaking sea and cliff view. Hotel is placed directly near the sea and sandy beach. Beach is narrow and the quality of sand is far from perfect. Moreover, unless there is a flood tide, there are a lot of stranded seaweeds. Nevertheless, this is not the obstacle to spend relaxing time on the beach. We did!

Disadvantage is payable sun beds on the beach, which costs 7 Euro per day (two sun beds, table and sun-shade). Under All Inclusive offer this should be free of charge, because sun beds are owned by the hotel. At least sun beds near the swimming pool are included in AI offer. On September the water in the swimming pool was freezing.

Hotel is clean, comfortable and modern. At least main buildings where we were accommodated - I cannot rate other premises as bungalows. Disadvantage was out of order jacuzzi in the SPA.

Our apartment was perfect. Unforgettable sea and cliff view. We had two rooms - living room and bedroom. Both rooms with balcony and sea view. In addition, there were fridge, coffee and tea service and bathroom with bath.

Service is brilliant and always smiling. They are always ready to assist you.

Food was tasty and varied, as well as choice of alcohols and soft drinks included in AI offer. Drinks and beer are not diluted, which sometimes happens in other resorts. We never had to queue for food, drinks, snacks etc.

Without a doubt, this hotel is worth to visit! We would recomend it to all our friends for relaxing and romantic holidays.

However, if you are a party animal and loking for hot spot, for sure this is not a place for you. Majority of quests are middle or elder age and around the hotel there is nothing more to visit - no clubs, pubs, taverns etc.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,434)

Reviewed 3 October 2009

Most reviews have been stunning. I must have missed something. This is the first time I have counted the days to leaving a hotel ever. We chose this hotel as it was meant to be 5 Star, no it is a 3+ at the most. The food was like canteen food, if it was hot that was a bonus. The A La Carte was a hit or miss affair. I ate 1 course out of three which is not good. La Gavroche has not worries with restaurants like this about.

Not interested in the drinks as I am teetotal but my husband said it was satisfactory. I wanted freshly squeezed orange juice but at 6.50euros I felt it was excessive considering there were oranges everywhere you looked!

The beach walk was a joke. Filthy and full of rubbish. Considering there was meant to be a top class hotel at the end of the walk, I would have thought the hotel would have done something about the beach first as it was embarrassing.

The bathroom needed a shower screen as they tried to make it look like a wet room and wet room it became after trying to shower. It was long and narrow and I am small but still managed to get water everywhere. The tiles made the room look dark.

For 5 Star I imaged that dressing gowns/slippers and all the usual toileteries would be supplied. You got given 3 cotton buds and 2 cotton pads. Thankfully I got in touch with someone who had stayed previously and was warned at the lack of items supplied so took my own.

Wasps were everywhere which really spoilt our stay, but seemed very normal for some. We have used the Med lots of time and never accounted this before.

I did mention that the sunbed situation should not occur but was advised the customers get angry. When we have stayed 5 star we have been taken to wherever we have wanted to sunbathe by the pool area or grounds and the towels and sunshade put up for us, that is 5 star!

This is the first time I have counted the days to leaving a hotel ever. Even on our transfer back to the airport, the van driver forot to pick up our cases and left them in the carpark at the hotel so we had to wait for the next van to arrive with our luggage. This was a bonus as the departure lounge at Corfu needs to be knocked down and rebuilt, it is utter confusion. It cannot take the amount of people in transit. The pilot on departure even mentioned that the runway needs resurfacing and apologies for the bumpy takeoff, that says it all.

On a positive side the hotel was clean and the staff very pleasant but we will not return or recommend.

1  Thank cambridgetravller
Mexas, Hotel Manager at Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2009

Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your detailed review and the possitive comments that you made for our staff efficiency and for our rooms.
Concerning now the negative comments allow me to kindly remind you that the most appropiate should be to contact our FO or myself personally for all this comments that you raised prior your departure answers and solutions are always available, and most likely as you have seen from other reviewers, our main aim and ambition is to solve all problems "in house" and prior Guest's departure but it seemed that defenately that was not your primary intension.
Now cutting to the chase-we are not and we never claimed taht we are a 5* property and even though we are aiming for 5 star service, feel free to visit our website, to check yourself that we are a 4* property but several tour operators have given us five out of their own rating, and although we are very happy about it, we believe that apparently confuses the guest.
In contrast to what is been offered to all inclusive resorts in the Mediterranean area, namely no label local spirits, Aquis offers apart from local drinks, unlimited consumption of one predefined international brand for each one of the main spirits ( whisky, gin, vodka, tequila and rum) and a selection of cocktails in an unlimited consumption throughout the day. (i.e the brand we have selected for whisky is Cutty Shark, and for Vodka Filandia, everyone selecting to drink whisky, Cutty Shark, the all inclusive international brand will be offered instead of a no label local whisky) and from 16.00-18.00 hrs daily a wide range of snacks and finger food together with coffee, selection of tea, fruit juices and desserts are available.We regret if none of them corresponded to your expectations!
Concerning the lack of sunbeds and towels that you are mentioning we where really surprised as we are closely monitoring it daily compared with the number of guests that we have in house plus a 10% more in order always to be on the safe side and they are always available by the Pool Bar before 10.OO hrs daily.!!!
Concerning the Beach that you are mentioning let me inform you that even though it is not belong to the Hotel our company has spent a considerable amount of money and manpower at the beginning and during the season in order to keep the area underneath the Hotel clean and spotless but there are not a lot that we can do a coastline that goes more than 2 miles and even though we wanted -we are not allowed.
I will refer again to our web site that it is clearly stated that Toiletries and Bathrobes and slippers/designer's amenities are avaialable only in our Suites and Bungalow Junior Suite and certainly not in Double Deluxe Rooms.In case that we have a request from a guest for extra toiletries by all means we wiil provde them on the spot- but it seemed once again that this never brought up to our attention!
Wasps -even though we conducted spraying sessions at the beginning and during the middle of the season and as we are in the middle of wine grapes harvesting period it is a physical phenomenon that it seems it is everywhere in the Med countries this period.
About the Food and the Ala carte issues that you are mentioning, even though that we receiving excellent comments about our Food quality and taste wise, rest assured that this issues will be closely monitored and addressed to our F+B department .
Concerning the transfers from and to the airport and the conditions that you are mentioning this issue should be clearly addressed to your Travel Agency and not to the Hotel.
We will keep on constantly monitoring our performance against the high service and standards indicative of Aquis Hotels and Resorts and we will insure these areas are restored to approve upon these concerns for future guests.
Thank you for your review and we certainly hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in any of our properties.

Reviewed 2 October 2009

Just returned today from a week at the hotel,all I can say is that it was absolutely marvelous. This was due to the staff's attention to detail and that nothing was too difficult for them to achieve satisfaction for the client. We had the all enclusive package and it was well worth the expense, the food & drink was very good and plentiful. The layout of the hotel & location does not lend itself to anyone with any sort of disability "even minor", but this is noted on all other reviews. The staff make you feel special and important, I do think that the hotel needs to invest in better daily activities for the clientele but this may be a personnal opinion, being that it was near the end of the normal season the evening activities were adaquate. But overall very very pleased. WELL DONE.

Reviewed 1 October 2009

My wife booked this place way back in April, and we've been carefully monitoring the reviews on all the feedback sites ever since, especially TripAdvisor.

Could it really be as good as almost everyone was saying?

The answer is an unequivocal 'yes'! If anything, our expectations were actually exceeded.
The hotel is in a beautiful if slightly remote setting, is very tastefully decorated (at what I'd imagine was considerable expense), was always scrupulously clean throughout our stay, and is staffed by cheerful employees (the reception girls especially) who are apparently happy in their work and keen to make your stay comfortable and memorable.

The restaurant food is good, very good in parts. All all-inclusive guests will receive an invite for one evening to the a la carte 'Olive Tree' restaurant adjacent to the pool bar, and without wishing to be unduly critical, our meal here was fairly poor, and represented our least satisfactory dining experience of the week!

We, like several others who have also posted on this site, received an upgrade upon arrival to one of the self-contained apartments located further up the hill from the main hotel, and although this guarantees a literal 'uphill struggle' at least twice a day, the accommodation is again to a good standard, (nice big 'superking' bed) although the bathroom design is flawed - it's basically too small, and trying to be all things to all men by providing bath and shower, the shower being attached to the bath taps. You can't knock them for trying to cover all the bases, but the result is a too-small bath and a shower head not sufficiently far up the wall for the taller chap or lass. The smallness of the bathroom also meant that the toilet roll dispenser was located on the opposite wall from the toilet itself!

The bars and public areas are all as fairly described by all other respondents on here, and although there is the ubiquitous 'Animation' team in residence, they're pretty low key here - if you want organised games, they're there, but it's up to you to go and find them, which I think is the way most would prefer it. Also, for the most part the piped music played in all the bars caters to a reasonably discerning european palate, and is thus mercifully light on Zorba-esque bouzouki!

The beach is lovely - the water is clear, so clear that fish can be seen swimming around your feet, and it's possible to walk to the village of Agios Gordios along the pleasingly ramshackle boardwalk.
I need to correct one misleading statement posted by a recent correspondent - 7 Euros buys you 2 sun loungers for the day, not 1. I think that is perfectly reasonable.

Wasps! Midges! lots of both I'm afraid, and although both are a nuisance, the former are relatively benign and will leave you unstung if you refrain from hysterical arm-flapping and newspaper-thrashing, and the latter are overcome by the usual sprays and unguents. On no account leave any window open at night - you'll be eaten alive!

Although the weather wasn't especially kind to us, this was still a fantastic break, truly relaxing. My wife and I would definitely go back, and really only Mr & Mrs Churlish from Much Churlish-in the-Marsh could find any serious fault with this place. Highly recommended.

1  Thank bigsand
Reviewed 30 September 2009

This is the second time that we have stayed at the hotel this year. We came early on in the season and had quite simply the time of our lives in just one short week. As such we returned at the end of the summer to sample some more of this fantastic hotel and to drive around the island to visit some beautiful places in our own time.

On this visit I emailed to the hotel to tell them that our booking this time did not allow us to stay in one of the beautiful new villas just adjacent to the hotel and asked them what would be the upgrade to the villa as a bit of a surprise to my lovely wife. Mr Mexas came back that afternoon with a no cost upgrade as a result of our loyalty in coming a second time, this time a longer stay with the Agios Gordios Beach Hotel. What a great start to what turned out to be a great holiday.

The staff are superb, the all inclusive package is very generous and serves all our needs more than adequately. There are many short walks illustrated in Cathys Guide at the what to do files opposite the toilets in reception and they allow you to get to the very top of the mountail behind the hotel, visit Sinerades through the olive grove path, use the same path to get down to the beach and walk back (through the nudist beach) to the hotel or even go around the headland to visit Pentati and a get a coffee at Chris's Place, before decending back to the hotel on the main roads. Do not do the last walk when its been raining and I would advise that you bring your walking boots if you can or very sturdy and comfortable ones at any rate.

Our daily saunas followed by one of the San Francisco cocktails were a perfect preparation for Dinner and the evening entertainment.

It is easy to get the bus to Corfu Town at 2 Euros each which leaves at 9am 10am 6pm and returns at 2.30pm, 5.30pm and 8pm and the town is full of great things to do and places to shop and explore an easy task to fill in a very interesting day for your holiday. You really must go into the Old Fort and get the views from the top, have a shop in the little narrow streets of the old town (turn right as you come out of the bus station and keep walking past the new fort on the right and the shops are through the arches). - Also get the number 2 bus to Kanoni, have a coffee in the cliff top coffee bars and then walk down through the bars to the Monastry below and watch the planes take off and land.

Our car hire was via the Olympus car hire guy Stefanos who sits at reception every morning and every night so if you need a place to go or fix a problem with the car he is always there to help. I checked the internet thoroughly and Olympus were about the same price for the 7 days as any of them, we got a Seat Ibiza for 7 days with an all inclusive insurance (covers all package), car delivered to the hotel and we could drop the car off at the airport on the day of our departure - all for 200 Euros and the airport drop off at their office right next to the airport saved us 35 Euros on a taxis, they even frop you and your bags off at the departures entrance for you. We got the tom tom Greece map for our Sat Nav and it was superb for the island trips we did.

We visited most of the great places on the island such as Acharavi - Sidari - Kalami - Kasiopi - Kuloura - Benitses - Lefkimmi but our favouraite by far was Paleokastritsa with the most fantastic cliff side lunch at the Bella Vista restaurant just up the mountain in Lakones. To get to the hotel as you come into Paleokastritsa there is a right turn up the hill to Lakones as you get to the village you will be stopped at the traffic lights for a good 10 minutes as the other cars coming down the mountain get through the village on their way to Paleo below, whatever you do wait until they change to green because the village is too narrow for more than one car and you will end up looking very stupid and with a long reverse drive to perform down a steep hill.

You may be tempted by the other posher restaurants such as the Golden Fox and another with a glass sided lift, but I assure you the grilled chicken lunch with Greek herbs and lemon cooked over the barbeque is the most sensational meal, certainly I have never tasted chicken and chips taste such a gourmet dish cooked by a lovely local family.

In closing I just wish to congratulate the Agios Gordios Hotel for two amazing holidays and to Mr Mexas in particular for his personal touch which you will encounter if you take the trouble to exchange a few words with him. He and his staff introduce themselves to you at the Greek night every week. Well done sir I hope your hotel goes from Strength to Strength - Best wishes Phil and Carole Southward Room 7204

1  Thank Chuckletronics
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Travelled with my partner in early September when we arrived approximately 8.30pm Greek time tiered and exhausted from travelling we had to wait at least 20mins to check in for our room, reception seemed to take their time dealing with other people and seemed not to be in a rush. Once we had checked in and found our room we were looking straight over the sea on the top floor, rooms were clean and comfortable and what you would expect for a four star hotel. We just about made it for the evening meal which was full of variety and something for everyone’s taste, one thing to note is that men must wear trousers not shorts for the evening meal, I personally did not see the point in this as it wasn’t exactly an al a carte restaurants. Food was of average quality some days were better than others but wouldn’t put me off going again. There is a pool and bar on the back of the hotel with steps down to the beach (steps are not suitable for people with walking difficulties but are not too bad). The pool was clean and cleaned every morning by staff, the bar served drinks all day from 10am - 11pm after 11pm the bar is no longer all inclusive, this I have never experienced on an all inclusive holiday and I have been on a few, It would be more enjoyable if the bar stayed all inclusive all evening. A variety of drinks were served but again only certain drinks were all inclusive (soft drinks, coffee, beer, and local spirits). The beach was clean and good for having a snorkel especially around the rock that you can see from the beach sticking out of the sea. The entertainment was not for me but they always had things going on like pool volley ball and table tennis others seemed to enjoy this. Every morning we awoke to the most beautiful views looking over the sea and saw the sun set every evening; you can even watch the sun set whilst enjoying a meal in the main restaurant just watch out for the wasps! Sun beds are always reserved every morning from about 8 - 9am so if you’re not willing to get up then there will be a strong possibility you will not get a sun bed! Sun beds on the beach are always free but this is because you have to pay 7 euros to have one per day! Overall I would highly rate this hotel, staff were friendly, rooms were clean, food was nice and I would recommend this to friends and family, its not the best all inclusive hotel I’ve been to but there is always a small town to visit down the road if you want to have a look around (make sure you take cash with you as the cash machine in the town doesn’t work plus you can walk along the beach back to the hotel if you don’t want the climb back!).

1  Thank Emma501
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I stayed in this hotel with my husband and 2 friends. We had lovely upgraded rooms set next to the main hotel overlooking a garden with a sea-view, we had a large bed, TV with only CNN and Tru Movies in English but there was a DVD player. Although it was nicely furnished I would have preferred more storage space. The bathroom was a good size but again could have done with some shelves and a shower curtain! The dining times were very good, 3 hours per meal but you didn't get thrown out at the end, even when it was busy there was always seating. The food was very good and varied, I'm a vegetarian so not quite so much choice but I was never going to starve! The hotel is set on the beach at the end next to some rocks, fab beach bar, pool bar and plenty of space to lay out there if you wished plus a lobby bar with some semi-outdoor seating. There was unfortunate problem with wasps, we were told it was the grape harvesting season and of course the usual plague of mosquitoes so go prepared. The staff were really lovely, helpful at all times to us and even sorted a problem with our transfer back to the airport before we even knew there was one! We all really enjoyed our stay very much. We didn't use the gym, spa or join in any activities or entertainment as we were relaxing and enjoying each others company but there were things going on if you wished but not intrusive. You could easily get into the great Corfu Town and we went on a couple of organised tours. For us the now children policy was a real bonus!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel
Romantic Palace Hotel
Romantic Palace Hotel
#4 of 13 in Agios Gordios

Been to Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort? Share your experiences!