“Fab Holiday”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Agios Gordios
scotland
“Fab Holiday”
Reviewed 13 October 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a weeks holiday at the Agios Gordios hotel and cannot praise the staff enough. Staff were always smiling and helpful. We were invited into the managers office and he asked us if we were enjoying our holiday and did we feel there was anything else we thought could be improved. I have never encountered a hotel manager being so involved with his guests we were very impressed with this. All the girls at reception were both friendly and professional (Anneta and Fotini were very helpful in trying to locate a package that I had left on the plane)
The rooms are not large but clean and all have fantastic views. There was a varied menu and plenty of it! The Olive Tree restaurant was very enjoyable.
I found the week just what we wanted which was to have chill out time and a bonus was that we met some very nice people.
We hope to return for a second visit.

3 Thank macca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Had a clean room with a nice sea view, plenty of good food at meal time (we did half board). Staff were pleasant. Did not use the pool area we used the week to explore Corfu, recommend one hires a rental car as the location is not served by a great public transport system. There are many nice Greek villages not too distant.

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kiwiabroad60
shropshire
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I agree with alot of other reviwers comments regarding the confusion with the numbering of the floors and the ease with which one could get lost, however that apart, I think the aquis group of hotels are fantastic value for money. I travelled with my mother as a winter break for her. She has not been abroad for over 10 years and despite the thousands of wasps, midges and bugs, it has not detered her from really enjoying our break, she will be recommending the hotel to all of her friends, as indeed I will.

Only critisims I have are the portions in the Olive Tree Restaurant were Billy Bunter sized (lots of un-necessary waste), and also I could not fathom out why certain folk got upgrades to the Junior suites ( kettles with tea making facilities, lounge with a 2nd tv, sofa etc) and others did not...as we are all price conscious these days, and will compare notes, this did leave me somewhat bewildered. Twin beds were disappointingly narrow, however a small obstacle.
Thankfully we missed the rain too. A great break.

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank travelbug2Shropshire
isle of wight
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I am glad others have started telling the truth about this hotel, as when I complained to the manager that the receptionist had been rude, what happened next was truely amazing. He held "court" in his smoke filled office. He bought the "offender" in, and then promptly told me she had won awards for her service & Trip Advisor was quoted many, many times. Well Sir, you had best read a few more of the reviews! After I left the office & went back to the beach (a very long way away, and via very slippery steps, I was summoned back to the office ( he had sent another receptionist all the way down to get me), where they had tracked down, some poor bloke who had been by the pool bar, who had been stood next to me at the reception. I have never been so embarressed in all my life. This is how he treats his paying guests? This poor guest sat there, well it was very "Carry on ". We checked out.
Here are some other points you might want to consider before you book this hotel.
We had a "Premier Inn" style room. It was never very clean when we got it, but I am glad I didn't say anything. The luxury toiletries were a soap dispenser, a shampoo dispenser & some cotton buds.
The food was at very best luke warm, lots of frozen vegetables, if they weren't used, then they would reappear later ( Yes cold sprout salad!?). We did have one good meal, that was at the a la carte restaurant, but that was also due to the company (thanks Paul & Louise, you still owe us that Baileys, even at 7 Euros a pop).
The lobby bar did not raise a smile the whole time we were there, and I tried very hard to get one.
The evening "entertainment", was for an hour & a half. We had a pianist, an accordion player and a jazz duo. Now I'm not young, but even I would draw the line at an accordion ? But this is just my view (oh, and many others at the hotel, but were affaid to say anything). The weather had been good, and yes the wasps and the sand flys were abundant, but that was not down to the management. I am far travelled, and thought great things were waiting for us at this hotel, how wrong we were. NEVER EVER AGAIN.
May I thank the lovely Janet & Graham, for making our very short stay bearable. You were truely great.
This is never going to make 5 stars, not unless the management is changed.

5 Thank pigbod
UK
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Just got back from our stay from Aquis Agios. We went for 7 days and I have to say the overall experience was good enough to want to write a review. The negative that stopped me from giving this 5 stars was the wasps at the pool side and around the beach, near the hotel. On the first day I got my first sting followed by another one a few days later. The wasp situation was very frustrating to the point where we had to buy some sprays to combat the problem, which never went away. That aside, the hotel was great, our room as well as the views were breathtaking to the point where this could substitute as a honeymoon experience. The staff were friendly, the hygiene was impressive and the all inclusive buffet meals cated for even the most fussy, I saw one review which said the food was cold and while I didn't eat there three times a day everyday we ate at least once there a day and there was no issue with the hot food being cold. The ala carte restaurant was very good and near by eateries also have a good selection of fine food if you fancy a change. Luckily the weather held out and 5 out of the 7 days gave us sunshine to make the overall stay a very pleasent experience and one in which we would repeat.

Suffolk, England
Reviewed 10 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 10 days and from speaking with many other guests it would seem that most of them visited this hotel because it was such a good deal. So was it worth it. Of course it was! I have read the most recent reviews, from guests who were at the hotel at the same time as ourselves and most all of them have valid points to make. It really depends on your expectations and what you want from your holiday. Here are my thoughts about our stay.

Staff.. Mostly friendly and capable, sometimes not enough staff on reception.

Cleanliness.. all general areas cleaned to an acceptable standard.

Rooms.. stayed in a deluxe double overlooking pool. A liitle small but nothing Aquis could have done about this. Why orange bed covers and pink curtains? Strange combination.

Food... Good quality, a little repetitive but always found something I could eat. Very palatable white and red wine served. Olive Tree, good meal but would not pay to eat there on top of AI. Sushi, saw very liitle attendance there. This restaurant would have been better served as a snack bar, quiet lounge or similar.

Drinks.. not a problem with what choices we had but felt that it was overly complicated by the confusing AI options, after spending many holidays at caribbean AI's I think it needs to be one thing or another. There was no way we were going to pay the prices quoted, expensive in the extreme.

Entertainment... Although I think this comment may be attributed to the 'late in season' time of our stay, I found most of the evening entertainment to be intrusive and very loud. Because the roof bar was not open it meant that you had 3 choices of what to do during your evening, the lobby, lagoon bar or your room for evenings. The lobby was full to bursting most evenings with a high level of conversation, ok in itself but when joined by loud jazz or piano music, it becomes impossible to have a conversation without shouting, not a relaxing prospect and sometimes we just couldnt be bothered to try, deciding to opt for a quiet sit on the balcony (although as we were above the pool bar, the continuous loop of music was a little irritating). I think another quiet area would be a valued addition but as I said this may not be the case if the roof bar was open as I suppose it is in high season? Animation team .. not much in attendance but honestly didnt go looking for them.

Pool.. very cold so didnt go in but plenty did. I agree that the sunbed cushions were not very clean but I suppose this was because this is late in season and not cleaned during the season? Amusing to see those people who put out their towels early in the morning on beds towards the middle or 'rock' side of the pool area and the sun doesnt reach them until early afternoon.

We hired a car from the airport so did not need the transfers. Glad we did as we felt quite isolated by the location of the hotel and the fact that this is not 'the real greece' which we have been back to time and time again. I think I would have gone stir crazy had I not been able to get out when I wanted. I know other guests were restricted by the diminished bus service.

One thing that has not been mentioned is how difficult it is to navigate yourself around this hotel. The numbers of rooms seem to bear no relation to the floors they are on and even after 10 days we still managed to end up where we did not want to be. I dont even know if a map of the hotel would have helped?

We dont usually return to any hotel twice and I am afraid this will be no exception although not for anything more that the hotel could have done. I think the increase in prices that will inevitably have to be charged for next year will stop many peoples return to this hotel, as if they are complaining this much as these bargain prices what will they say when they need to pay double.

We did enjoy our stay, met some great people and loved Greece as always. I am afraid the exchange rate has taken the edge off for many visitors from England and that may prevent many returning in the forseeable future.

Would we reccomend this hotel to a friend.... only at the right price.

1 Thank AbbieC
Pszczółki
Reviewed 10 October 2009

If you will go to thiis hotel, you will back from there very happy and You will be not regret this decision...!
Staf from hotel is always helpful and smiling, particularly mrs. Gosia from pool bar :)
If you go there to have some fun You can count on Animation team, Suzy and Miki are great..!

• Stayed September 2009
#1 of 4 in Lefkimi
Grecotel Eva Palace
Grecotel Eva Palace
#1 of 3 in Kommeno Bay

Been to Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort? Share your experiences!