“Will definately be going back - hopefully in October!”

Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Agios Gordios
Reviewed 16 June 2010

My husband, and parents-in-law stayed at this hotel for a week to celebrate my 40th birthday and I am so glad we decided to go there!

We had stayed at this hotel (in a bungalow room) in 2003 when it was a Thompson 3 star hotel and loved the location then, hence wanting to return this year. The recent renovations have done wonders for the hotel. The location was always fabulous, but we loved the new (ish) tunnel bar and the pool area upgrade. As before the food was fabulous but one of the strongest points of this hotel is the wonderful staff - they were all so warm and friendly and really couldn't do enough for you.

There is a very well equipped gym and Spa and the helpful staff again shone through - the gym was open from 1000 - 1800 hours - I commented to my husband that these hours were not great as he likes to exercise first thing in the morning. When we visited the gym, the young lady explained that we could just ask at reception for the key and use the gym whenever we wanted to - how is that for service!

The evening entertainment was just right, with a team of just three staff conducting small and amusing quiz hours and holding creative sessions of jewellery making, painting etc each day. Every evening there was some enertainment from the elegant pianist, local dance groups and local singers - I thought it was the most tasteful entertainment I have experienced in any Greek hotel we have visited and clearly well thought out.

On my birthday we ate at the a la carte restaurant and they really made my evening special - with a bottle of champagne and a lovely birthday cake. The service was outstanding!

One of the thoughtful touchs we liked was the DVD player in the rooms - I am usually relatively early to bed and my husband likes to watch movies, so most nights we selected a DVD from the reception free of charge - a good thing as the only English channels were the news and the odd movie with subtitles.

The rooms were very clean and the maids worked so hard - cleaning the rooms to "new guests standard" every day. I can't understand why some people who have written reviews on here about the colour of the tiles in the bathroom - I thought the bathrooms were lovely - very up to date and well equipped.

As many other visitors have mentioned - the sunsets are amazing and the location is just stunning. The village is very cute with just enough little shops and restaurants to wonder round. We walked into the village one day and had a delicious crepe and a coffee, otherwise we didn't feel the need to go down there as the hotel catered for our every need.

We hired a quad bike for the day and visited the east side of the island which I highly recommend. One day we hired a car and visited the north of the island - the roads are safe and well maintained, so it is well worth getting out and about.

The only down side we could find was the noise from the restaurant. We were in room 5303 which is the floor below the restaurant. We had asked to be in a room on a higher level and the staff accommodated this. When the staff were preparing the restaurant and guests were using it, we could hear chairs being moved about and people walking etc (I think the restaurant opened about 0730am ). This was never a huge problem to us as we don't lay in particularly late anyway. Nothing can be done about this as with most Greek hotels the floors are tiled and therefore noise carries more easily. This is a very minor issue and I only mention this to show that this is a balanced review.

I loved the fact that this is an adult only venue and I think this adds to the relaxed atmosphere. We go on several holidays a year, but this is the most relaxing holiday we have been on for ages - within 36 hours I felt like I had been there a week - which is perfect! IIf you are thinking of visiting this hotel - GO FOR IT!!!!! Do not hesitate. We are hoping to go back in October.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HeidiColchester
Write a ReviewReviews (2,439)

Reviewed 14 June 2010

the raport quality-price is very good. the room wose ok, kind of small, but modern furniture and clean. the food is deliciouse...and so many kind of deserts...the pool not very big,but the view ist gorgeous... i liked that in this hotel wore not alloud children under 12,it wose a calming silence...

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2010

Our first time in Corfu on an adults only holiday and it was fantastic we strongly recommend this hotel to al our friends when we arrived home the hotel was set on a cliff
side the views were stunning our room over looked the sea and was to a good standard
the food was exceptional like most all inclusive holidays into the second week the food starts of like the first week but not here well some dishes did still a differant selection than the first week All the staff were great so helpfull nothing was to much trouble for them no problem with sun beds had two every day next to the pool entertinment was ok
at night by day lacking as the entertinment team sat at the far end of the pool doing nothing most days they did not try to get anyone involved in anything The beach was nice apart from a large bank of sea weed on the waters edge the vilage was small but nice lovely places to walk and take in the views A bus from the village took you to Corfu town 2 euros We made many friends and had a great laugh when we all sat together at night in the bar over all a great and fantastic relaxing holiday cannot wait to go back

2  Thank chcdavid
Reviewed 9 June 2010

We should have visited the hotel on 19th April but due to the ash cloud this was delayed. The hotel were great only charging us an extra £20 each for the week even though we were now attending in the summer rather than spring.
We arrived at the hotel at 23:50 after a short taxi ride. Friendly reception staff greeted us. Even though we had arrived after the all-inclusive offer we were still given a drink at the bar and a sandwich. Our room was lovely with all the mod cons the only negative for the whole of the holiday was the bed, it was too hard. However after a few vodkas each night I had no problem sleeping.
The food was fantastic the best I have tasted in an all-inclusive hol. They catered for everyone and the theme nights were very enjoyable. All the cakes and sweets were beautiful and well presented. This hotel has so much to offer located in a quiet area of Corfu. The scenery is breath taking.
We booked a coach trip to Corfu with our YOU travel rep. It was an evening excursion from 16:00-21:30 it cost 17 euro each. We were told a member of staff at the other end who would give info on where to go would greet us!!! They were useless to say the least. My advice is get the bus at 2 euros each (last bus book 5pm) and get a taxi back costing 35 euros. To save even more come try back with another couple.
We met some many lovely people. The staff were friendly & helpful, the whole of the hotel was very clean. Food cooked perfect and at the correct temp.
Overall an excellent holiday and we will return.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Englishcouple09
Reviewed 2 June 2010

i cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, they just cant do enough for you. we were delayed 6 hours at edinburgh airport,and did not arrive at hotel until 6am.when filling in passport details,i just happen to mention it was my birthday today! late that afternoon we heared a knock at the door, two girls presented me with a lovely birthday cake,bottle of bubbly,basket of fruit and all the trimmings,even a cake slice?.this hotel was spotless,you could not fault it.all the staff seem to take a pride in their work,the food was a work of art.the drinks were wonderful as well,real SMIRNOFF.would go back tomorrow,but will have to wait until next year

1  Thank ianliz_walker
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I arrived at this hotel by taxi at 2:30 am after a wearying delayed flight. (The taxi driver was courteous and obliging, and charged just the 35 euros that the hotel had previously told me to expect). At the hotel the night Receptionist was most welcoming and I immediately felt this would be a good holiday. I must say, the staff are the most engaging and friendly I have come across in staying at top-rated hotels world-wide. The all-inclusive food (an "international" buffet) is so good - fresh, varied, Greek and other specialities... that mealtimes are a highlight! The rooms are fine - lovely sea views. The beach leads on to the little village where shopkeepers are also friendly and English-speaking. The sea is warm and clear and safe to swim in.
Enjoy!
John

Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Fraser61
Reviewed 1 June 2010

My partner and I retured on 27th May. The worst thing about our 2 weeks was the weather.The second week was unsettled and chilly ,with some storms.The best thing was the staff,so pleasant,helpful and made people feel welcome.Possibly half of the staff were from Poland and Romania.The best we have ever had.Food was good but as with all buffies samey,but we understand that.
The hotel is adults only which helps it to be more relaxing.
The entertainment was not good.A Greek duo,good but I have limited ear for greek music. A Trio which had more a general repertoir.Then a duo of male keyboard player and female singer which were the best of the three groups. Other nights were were Bingo ,quiz,board games, arty type things.
The accommodation is either hotel or "bundalow",which in reality are four small blocks of appartments dotted along the entance road to the hotel. The nearest to the hotel is about 200 yds up a steep hill,the farthest is up the same hill,down another and up another total possibly over quarter mile.Not good in evening wear or when going for meals in wind and rain.We got caught a couple of times .I shall be taking this up with Qwerty who failed to advice us of this.
Auis Group ,we understand are German operated with middle eastern funding,so on our stay ther were possibly 60% German clientel.
A car be hire from inside the foyey 89E for 3 days which is good for seeing most sites.
The village has two other rentals places for comparison.
Taxi for two to airport 30Eu,for 4 35E.Book it thro.hire desk not "reception".
We would go back again,though not for a while , but would stay in the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Aquis, Marketing Manager at Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2010

Thank you very much for your time to send us your feedback about your stay with us in Corfu. We can entirely understand that rain while being on a beach holiday resort can make you feel disappointed and spoil the experience (especially entertainment satisfaction) however occasionally there might be some ruining days as well.

Our guest service levels are of the utmost importance to us and I am so glad to hear that our staff was professional as we always endeavor to exceed our guests’ expectations. I will make sure to pass the compliments about the staff and food to the appropriate departments and I thank you very much on their behalf.

In regards to your room we are so sorry to hear that you didn’t know that the bungalows are not in the main building but they are spread throughout the gardens offering calm and privacy. It is true that bungalow is a type, with varying meanings across the world. Common features to almost all of these definitions include being detached and low-rise, We totally encourage our guests to email us asking for information even after a booking has been made, if we feel that there might be any and we mean any dissatisfaction we will be happy to offer or alternative option in order to keep our guests happy and at the end of the day to offer brilliant holiday.

We also take the opportunity to inform your that Aquis is not German operated, we offer fifteen properties so far in Greece and our head offices are based in Greece.

As we are always trying to do our utmost for our guests’ satisfaction and to keep up our service standards your very positive feedback, especially referring to food and helpful staff, is highly appreciated.

Thank you again and hopefully we have the pleasure to welcoming you next year again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Agios Gordios
Delfino Blu Boutique Hotel
#1 of 4 in Agios Stefanos
Aeolos Beach Resort
Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel

Been to Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort? Share your experiences!