“Night Porter Nightmare!”
Review of Old Mill Hotel

Old Mill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Well....where to start! Having already advised the hotel of our late night arrival, as planned and after a long journey from Surrey, we finally arrived in Bath about 11.30pm at night. Our first experience of George "The Nightmare" Night Porter was when I coincidentally turned up at their Reception asking where the Old Mill hotel was?, as my sat nav had taken me where we needed to be as it turned out,but the hotel name was covered over by ivy and it was dark when we arrived, so couldn't see any signs apart from their restaurant name. George grunted at me"What?" and "Are you joking?", "you are here" he snorted! "Sorry" I said, "it's just the sign wasn't very clear!". Next nightmare came when my partner and I bought our bags through to check in. We were left standing there 10 minutes whilst George chatted to his friend in Egypt whilst completely ignoring us and shoving a registration form in front of me to fill out. Finally the phone call ended and we were then handed a room card and told to go to an apartment outside and right down the end of the car park. We did as was suggested only to find ourselves aimlessly wandering in the night looking for a room, that turned out to be in the main hotel all along (if only George had paid attention in the first place!).
We eventually got to bed at near on Midnight and explained that we had a very early start the next day and in fact would be checking out before 5.30am as I had an outing planned for my partners Birthday the next day.
Once in our room I have to say it was very nice, clean, new and modern looking complete with a comfy bed, flat screen tv, tea/coffee facilties and a decent bathroom.
The problems started again when we had finally drifted off to sleep only to be awoken by continual noise echoing through the floorboards from the Reception area in addition to George hoovering at 1.30am on and off for at least an hour to the point my partner actually got up, got dressed, went downstairs and asked him to stop! After George apologised, the hoovering did stop for a while but then it started up again at 3am before completely stopping a short while later.
Other problems encountered were with our electronic room card which we couldn't get to work and several times had to go up and down the stairs to Reception to try and sort the problem out, after many attempts George finally came upstairs and let us into our room.
We can honestly say we have never met a Porter more unhelpful, ignorant and rude with absolutely NO Customer service skills! Having said all of this we did complain to the staff on early shift the next day and explained everything, they were very apologetic and discounted our room rate and said that they would speak to George, so we left happy in that respect.
Some plus points previously not mentioned were the breakfast which wasnt bad, view of the countryside and water mill were very nice and there is a free car park, in Reception there are also some free leaflets about outings in Bath which are helpful.
If the Management seriously address the issues we encountered then I'm sure that future stays at this hotel will be very nice, however, until this point we're afraid that we can't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 June 2011

I booked through a company and usually I am happy with my choice however not this time! We were in the Lodge (American motel). The room was dirty: carpet not hoovered properly, window and door covered in dirt/mould, beds covered in one sheet no mattress protector, burns in the curtain, rusty bin and shower changed between scalding hot and cold with not a touch on the dial. TV signal did not work properly on all channels and was not fixed when brought to the attention of staff. PAT testing skickers that ran out in November 2010! Paper thin walls where you can hear the other guests conversations as well as TV. Yes it has been refurbished but it is dirty as well as being run by a vile manager who should be taught about customer service and how to inspect his own motel rooms. See my photo's if you don't believe me.

1  Thank Ezzy30
respondance, Manager at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2011

This customer made a non-refundable booking through a webb site, she agreed to pay for the two nights stay when she made the booking and accepted our terms and conditions by giving her credit card details.
If she was un happy with anything about her room why did she leave it till she was leaving before she said anything. The hotel takes security and safety very seriously and the thought that our PAT testing is out of date is un-true as we have a certificate to prove that it is valid until17th May 2012.
Further more I do not recognise the photo's that she has posted , this customer became very rude and offensive when I explained the type of booking she had made and asked her why she did not complain whilst she was staying and why she left it till she was checking out . She left the hotel threatening to publish bad reviews where ever she could unless i refunded her money and calling me names. ( she only really made herself look ridiculous in front of other guests) My advise would be to read between the lines on this review and wonder where she got the photo's from

Reviewed 1 June 2011

Chose this hotel on the reviews but very disappointed, As we arrived I thought the outside of the hotel was untidy and neglected looking. We booked in by a very friendly and helpful receptionist. The room was only adequate it was very small. As we entered the room the carpet was badly stained and the room had to much un-needed furniture except the wardrobe whic could only hold enough clothes for a one night stay and wasn't very clean. I had booked a quiet room but when going to bed found we had been put over the wedding function room and could only try and go to sleep after tweleve when the music finished and then had endure people going passed our room to bed constantly slaming doors. When came down in morning we chose a coooked breakfast which was utterly disgusting, scrambled egg which was as white as the plate it was on and watery it didnt appear to be real egg, sausage which didn't looked cooked and had dried congelled fat on it, we left everything and settled for cerial. Overall a very disappointing stay but on a positive note the setting is really lovely but the hotel lets it down. We would not stay again.

Reviewed 31 May 2011

Tthe hotel as a great veiw over the river and is well situated for travelling into bath We had fantastic service the staff where very frendly,
The rooms had every thing you could need for a pleasant stay.
the restaurant food was very good and breakfast was very enjoyable we would stay there again .

2  Thank shirlandjohn
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We wanted to stay just one night in Bath but could find very few hotels that did not have a two-night minimum stay requirement. How lucky we were, then, to find that the Old Mill not only took a one-night booking but had vacancies. It's very easy to find, only a couple of miles from Bath city centre, but if you have the time to spare, take the river boat that picks up passengers just a couple of minutes' walk away over the toll bridge and spends a leisurely half hour meandering along the Avon to Pulteney Bridge. There was a wedding at the hotel when we got there but as they had self-contained accommodation we were hardly aware of their presence and their was no problem with noise. The setting is beautiful, the level of comfort very high; the staff seemed genuinely concerned that we should enjoy our stay and they could not do enough for us. The restaurant and bar prices were reasonable and the food was superb. What an excellent chef they have in Chris, whose offerings were so good that on the day we checked out we returned to dine again before setting off home. Our stay came about as a happy accident of availability, but when we return to Bath we'll go direct to the Old Mill

3  Thank dinnodaze
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I arranged a two night stay for five couples who used to work together and wished to have a reunion. The stay was voted a great success by all the party who particularly enjoyed the location and the friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank tonyh69
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I can honestly say this is one of the nicest places i've ever stayed. I've stayed in several hotels for business purposes over the years, most of which have been 5* this one LTHOUGH NOT 5* was by far the best. Using hotels as a single female can sometimes be awkward. I was welcomed and made to feel part of the family as it were! I enjoyed a very reasonably priced delicious evening meal in their Italian restaurant, couldn't fault it! The restaurant has panoramic views over the river and was spotlessly clean. The Italian waitress was attentive just enough. My room was lovely, bed a little narrow but quiet all night and again spotlessly clean with all the facilities one would expect. Fantastic en suite shower. Superb atmosphere throughout. I am considering returning on a social visit to explore the local area purely as an excuse to stay here again! Lovely!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank nurseyjouk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
Holiday Inn Express Bath
Bailbrook House Hotel
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Radstock Hotel
Radstock Hotel
#30 of 34 in Bath
Travelodge Bath Central
Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!