Old Mill Hotel
US$187
US$170
  • Room Service
1,240 results
All reviewsriver viewwater wheelbuffet styleposter bedfull englishlovely roomvisit bathyogurtavonwaterwheelengland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 April 2012

On arrival it was difficult to find a place to park the car, at reception a friendly greeting but the registration form had a long list of do's and don'ts which i thought a bit unwelcoming. The room i had was quite small for a double but was double aspect overlooking the river Avon which was in flood and the weir was a spectacular sight. The restaurant served gpood food but it was difficult to get bread, when it came it was stale and had to be sent back not to be replaced. The food was quite good. A good nights sleep was followed by a good breakfast but on checking out i was asked to pay a premium for using a credit card which i found surprising. I thought £95 for B&B about £20 miore than i thought foe good value.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank catherinanddavid
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I was part of a party that planned a reunion at the Old Mill (27-29 April 2012) and I must say that the various reviews I had read concerned me greatly. I noted previous comment about the poor quality of the rooms and the surliness and indifference of the staff. My resulting 'pre-conceived ideas' gave me a sense of foreboding regarding what to expect.
As it transpired, reality was quite different, our room (104) was in the main hotel and provided a dual aspect outlook, one side overlooked the weir and the other overlooked the car park but even that was predominantly a vista of large trees and associated wildlife. Throughout our stay the staff were extremely helpful and the hotel as a whole was run professionally and placed the interests of the client foremost.
Overall, whilst there were minor issues (what hotel doesn't?) it was a thoroughly pleasant weekend that was enjoyed by each member of our 13 strong party.
Having spoken to the proprietor it was evident that the lodge rooms (we were in the main hotel)are slightly inferior regarding outlook but, to be fair, the room tariff is somewhat cheaper. Moreover, it must be understood that there is no lodge room that provides a viable outlook over the picturesque river and weir.
Overall my wife and I enjoyed our break at the Old Mill which included eating in the hotel restaraunt on both nights and we would make a return visit.

Room Tip: Go for a main hotel room rather than a lodge room, it is well worth the extra price.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
respondance, Manager at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2012

Thank you for your kind comments I have passed them onto the staff and we hope to see you again

Reviewed 29 April 2012

I read the reviews on this hotel before booking, and was a little worried as some people felt this hotel to not be "up to" their standards!! so taking the preverbial bull by the horns we booked anyway and was delighted to find the people who had complained were wrong!!! It is a beautiful hotel in a setting to die for right on the River Avon, we were not lucky enough to have a room over looking the river but hey you can't have everything in life. The rooms were clean and certainly adequate, and after all, all you do is sleep in them. The actual hotel was clean and the staff extremely friendly, the restaurant food was wonderful and nothing was too much trouble. I would highly recommend this hotel, and to any persons checking with Tripadvisor first, I would say that many people in this world love to complain - about anything - and please just go by your own instinct that if a hotel has 3, 4 or 5 stars it can't be that bad, not in this country anyway. We would certainly go here again if we found ourselves wanting to visit Bath or the surrounding areas. Bath is about 5 minutes away from the hotel but if you take the main road in it takes around 20 minutes due to the build up of traffic, so try the "Toll Bridge" right beside the hotel, you will be amazed at how quick you get there, its also a far prettier route. Its worth the 60p you pay

Room Tip: I could agree with the person who had a "lodge" as they did'nt look too inviting, so stay in the main hotel. I believe there are some 37 rooms, so book early, as we went in April and it was quite busy
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2012

stayed 3 days in main hotel building room very clean .staff very friendly.food average advise people to use the pub/restraunt 5 min walk over the bridge,great food lovely atmosphere

Room Tip: choose main building overlooking river &weir fabulous views
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We had an excellent stay. Did book over the phone so we knew which room we were having. Gary was very helpful, stayed in main hotel which was great, overlooking river. Breakfast was good, more than enough choice, restaurant in the evening was very good and value for money. Thanks to all the staff, all cheerful and polite.

Room Tip: Dont just take a cheap room and expect top quality, easier to phone and speak to someone and ask what you get for your money. Main hotel was better than annexe,
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple