“A Brilliant Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
Hatfield, United Kingdom
“A Brilliant Weekend”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Stayed here for the weeknend, and had an excellent time.

Room was slightly on the small side but well furnished and an excellent small bathroom

Staff were all freindly and helpfull, and the hotel is set in a beautifull location.

Breakfast was very good, and we ate in the restaurant Friday evening and the food was good.

Stroll across the private toll bridge and you will fine the Bathampton Arms, a very nice pub with beautifull views and good food.

Saturday we took the water taxi into Bath wandered around for a few hours then caught the water taxi back again. All in all a very relaxing and enjoyable day.

Sunday we walked half a mile up the road to the canal and wandered along there for a mile or two.

We enjoyed all our weekend and will definately will be returning.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hatfield_Owl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2013

This hotel is rated no.1 in Batheaston - its the only one I think! We booked here fairly last minute to go to a rugby match so were grateful to have a bed for the night so I shouldn't be too critical really but..- anyway - heres the pros and cons
Pros
Beautiful position on the river (as you expect from the name)
Handy taxi ride into the city
Not as pricey as the city hotels
You can book for one night only (many hotels and guest houses in Bath have a 2 night minimum)
Staff on reception were helpful on the phone - called a taxi for us. Also, having read reviews about how small some of the rooms were I called ahead to ask if we could have one that wasn't tiny - a bit cheeky as we had only booked the basic grade but in an old building there is some leeway.
Breakfast was OK - lovely views from the dining room.
Cloakroom and en suite recently re-furbed (but see cons)
Air conditioning unit in our room (cold day so didn't check it - not sure if air con is standard)

Cons - normally I say that my cons may be other people's pros but somehow i don't think so this time!
The room, while a good size (see Pros) was clearly used mainly as a meeting room - The bed was a pull down and although a reasonable size was not very comfortable and the pillows were the thinnest I have come across in a long time.
The en suite had a musty smell although it looked clean BUT no hot water - as we were heading straight home this wasn't too much of an issue - just wanted to leave. However when we (helpfully as I thought) brought it to the attention of the management that there was a problem we were told we should have read the instructions. And where do you think these were dear reader? In the bathroom perhaps? next to said shower? No - they were on the key card! of course - how silly of me! To read them you would have to take the card out of the slot (thereby switching off the electricity) and of course known to look there. Clearly something they know is a problem but have failed to address in any guest friendly way. Similar problem with the light in the bar claokroom - had to go back to reception to ask where the switch was - actually you have to close the door (in a room with no window) before the light will come on.
Decor and ambiance tired
Breakfast OK but if you are going to have a buffet don't have someone standing there doling out one rasher of bacon per plate.I do not believe it is, as the sign said, an H&S requirement to have food served this way - if it is then pretty much all other hotels I've stayed in are in breach.
Outside is shabby
Automated greeting on the phone is not welcoming and the manager (as I suppose) was surly

Generally this was a hotel which could be sooo much better with a bit of investment of time and pride - I suppose they get plenty of custom being so close to one of the main tourist attractions in the UK though so don't need to change.

Room Tip: Talk to them about your options before you book
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank listmaker589
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I stayed here on the 11th May 13. I was in a 'lodge' room - The room was only a few inches bigger than the bed itself, which was surprising as on a phone call to the hotel before i booked i was tolde the 'lodge' room is bigger than a standard room. It turns out The Lodge rooms are no more than huts on a separate building apart from the hotel, this was not mentioned on my call enquiring about the Lodge room. i Have stayed at Butlins with nicer 'huts'. The room was not only VERY tiny, but it was also VERY over priced for what it was. I have stayed in 5 star london hotels for cheeper. Infact, travel Inns/Travel Lodges are much much nicer, of a much higher standard and class. The room bas VERY BASIC. It was very clean though.
I cant say much more for the service, staff standing outside smoking while guests struggled with suitcases up steps to reception.
Inside the main hotel - very dated and worn out. Scruffy, no sign of quality at all which is what i expected by the cost.
This was birthday treat for my girlfriend, and sadly it made me look like i had not made any effort at all.
I would not recomend this hotel . As a comparison i paid £140 for one night stay with breakfast, i have just recieved an email from a 5 star central london, offering 1 night stay, breakfast and spa treatment for less.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank CraigCameron

Travellers are raving about these Batheaston hotels

Reviewed 14 May 2013 via mobile

After a mix up with another venue the old mill stepped in with 24 hours to spare and provided Sunday lunch for 22 hungry students to celebrate my sons 21st.
The food location and attention by the staff was very good.they were helpful proactive and we had a lovely celebration of my sons 21st. Thank you

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Wicklow100
Ystradgynlais, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My partner and I booked to stay here for a couple of nights for my 30th bithday in February. The location is lovely, although a lot further from the town than we had anticipated, and we had a nice view overlooking the river. IOnitially, I had booked a different room but then called to change it after realising it was in the lodge and reading poor reviews.
The room was quite nice with a small four poster bed and the bathroom was clean and tidy, although small. The bedroom carpet was stained in a couple of places - I assume this was a mixture of dirty shoes and tea/coffee or possibly make up. The bed was clean and comfortable although there was a distinct lack of bedding - no duvet or extra pillows. The small mini fridge was way over priced and we didn't use it once. The TV was also poor with a very limited selection of channels.
Breakfast was also very poor. We were kept waiting then seated in an area which did not appear to have been set out for breakfast. Full English breakfast was available from a buffet only, which was also disappointing as it was mostly cold and the bacon was tasteless, low quality lijke you would get pre packed at a supermarket. The girl serving could do with a few tips on customer service as she was not very friendly and also took ages to bring us any toast - when it did arrive it was not very hot.
I was really looking forward to the evening meal as I love Italian food but again, I was extremely disappointed. My pasta was bland and my partner's meat was dry, chewy and very small. Drinks wise, the glass of wine I had was adequate but my partner was served a flat pint of lager in a Guiness glass. I find it appalling that a waitress/barmaid does not even know which glass to use when serving drinks or does not care enough to ensure the correct glasses are used!! The meal and drinks came to nearly £50 which was more than double what I would have been happy paying. We really wished we had eaten out as we did the previous night; it was my 30th birthday and I was hoping for something special. We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant because we both love Italian food but this was way below par. The decor was also very bland and not very cosy.
In general, the staff were quite friendly although the manager/owner did not acknowledge us once, even when he was standing next to a member of staff who I was speaking to! There was little attempt to engage with us however, and upon checking out, we were not asked if we had enjoyed our stay or invited to return. I don't think the staff cared that much and the owner/manager certainly did not.
I booked at the last minute so I paid a cheaper rate but the overall cost of the two night stay was still almost £150 - any more and I would have been asking for a refund.
I booked this trip as my partner and I wanted an enjoyable weekend away. This was a special birthday and the first time we had been away together so I was hoping it would be lovely.
Bath is a lovely town and we still enjoyed our trip but I think next time we will be staying elsewhere. This hotel has lots of potential given the location but it really fails to live up to expectations.

Room Tip: Avoid the lodge as these rooms do indeed overlook the car park and look very basic.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Naomi G
London
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed just one night on the way to a wedding. The views from the restaurant overlooked the river and were stunning. Rooms ok with all the facilities but a little tired. Food very good. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hammer99
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

Dropped my mother in-law here for a one night stay with her uncle.
We arrived and the setting and location is beautiful however, the service does need improving.

A man that seemed to be the manager was dealing with another couple that were complaining about their room and wanted a room change so was in reception when we were all collecting room keys. Then the man/manager came over and snatched my mother in-laws room key from her hand and gave her another one without saying anything! Very rude and unprofessional.

I was concerned she had been down graded but the room was actually pleasant. It had a lovely balcony overlooking the water which was lovely. The rooms are on the small side, smelt a bit as it was right next to the kitchen fan but overall ok.

The next morning our uncle had 2 poached eggs for breakfast and asked for some tomato but was simply given half a tomato and the staff looked horrified when he asked for more than the half that was given!

The car park was also really small and tight!
The whole hotel really needs a revamp and updating, wouldn't stay again.

Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Anna0202s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
Radstock Hotel
#31 of 35 in Bath
Holiday Inn Express Bath
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!