“Disappointed”

Old Mill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Firstly I am going to start with the good aspects of this hotel. The location is lovely, next to the river and surrounded by beautiful countryside. This is the main reason I booked the hotel as I didn't just want a generic Premier Inn experience. The room was clean and had a new bathroom fitted and the staff were friendly. The breakfast was good: not greasy as you sometimes get, lots of choice of cereal and nice tea.

Now the bad. I booked through last minute so granted I was thinking of money so I wasn't checking perhaps as closely as I should have. Now I have checked my booking it says 'lodge double'. I have also checked the website and I can see no pictures of the lodge or any indication that it is completely separate from the hotel! The room was tiny - me and my boyfriend literally couldn't walk round the bed! And really hot! I am terrified of spiders and there are hundreds outside which made me not want to open the windows too much! We asked for a fan the second night which made it slightly better. The bed wasn't great - really hard and creaked whenever you moved! The breakfast was a bit of a joke, you only get one serving of hot food and we literally got a spoon size serving of egg. I have seen reviews on here and mentions from the management that hot food is unlimited, not sure if this is true as on the sign by the food it says "only one breakfast per person", so this implies that it is only one serving per person. They are obviously quite funny about health and safety here, not being allowed to serve yourself breakfast and there was also a man serving the toast who had a minor freak out if any guests tried to get some more! I think they should try and adopt a bit more of a relaxed approach to breakfast, you did feel slightly like you were at school. They were also playing Christmas music, weird.

I would recommend anyone staying checks the room they have been allocated, it wasn't horrendous - I have seen worse but I think for £150 you could do slightly better i.e. a Premier Inn! The location is lovely though so if you aren't bothered by room size/small breakfast then book away. There is a lovely pub across the river - great food and location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steffie_26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Very friendly staff, although the decor is a little tired. However...at 6.30 am the hotel move their wheelie bins! The noise is comparable with a squadron of Challenger tanks! Not great for the paying guest.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane O
Sherfield upon Loddon, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We booked in to the Old Mill for one night and were very surprised by the beautiful location and the ease of walking access to Bath City centre. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and checking-in was a pleasure. The room itself was spacious and on the whole well furnished with the exception of the bed which was a pull down one that came out of the wall. As a result it had a metal base that felt more like a camp bed. There was also a rather shabby futon type sofa bed in the room. The bathroom was lovely though and looked as though it was just installed - perfect. Breakfast was good and once again the staff very friendly. Overall would have been a great place if the bed had been comfortable but i am afraid a sleepless night ruined it for me.

Room Tip: Check what type of bed the room has.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 944NikkiJ944
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed for one night at the start of July. Hotel is in a beautiful location. We arrived early and were given the option of having a drink in the bar until our room was ready but decided to go for a walk. Lovely pub just down the road.
Hotel was very easy to find although the sign to the turning could be a bit more obvious and when we got there parking was rather tight (and I drive a mini!) room was clean and spacious with a lovely bathroom (although not sure anyone would actually fit in the bath, would be better as a large shower! Our room looked onto the carpark but was very quiet.
One complaint was the bed. It was fine but as soon as we sat on the mattress we sank right down. Could do with sturdier mattresses.
The pub over the bridge has a pick up point for boat trips into bath. This was lovely with a guide giving you various facts on the way in and a lovely way to see some of the beautiful architecture bath has to offer. Just remember to check the pontoon for boat times, as the hotel and website might not be so accurate (we learnt the hard way and missed 2 boats!)
Breakfast Buffett was lovely in a room overlooking the river and hills beyond.
All in all the hotel was lovely (but not luxury) and I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank lozzage
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I have recently stayed at the Old Mill Hotel. I was glad I was only there for two nights. If it had been a long visit or a special occasion, I would have been very, very disappointed. On returning I have read many reviews on trip advisor. I have also seen the sort of responses the hotel management has made to the writers - apologetic, but not really getting the point. The tragedy for this hotel is that they need to take a serious look at the comments that repeatedly occur. It has the potential to be a very successful hotel. The location by the River Avon is lovely. The staff were friendly but seemed out of their depth. However they clearly need some help in turning it from the disappointingly shabby place it is into a hotel that people would wish to return to. If I ran a hotel and read the sort of comments I have read here, I would know that I needed to make some radical changes. Examples from my visit to illustrate the point: stuffing coming out of chairs in dining room, stained chairs in dining room, person deposited on floor by chair that collapsed in dining room, dangerously hot shower, access from garden to bar involved a circuitous walk through a car park, no ice for drinks at the bar, menu notice outside the hotel gate aiming to attract casual diners lying on its side behind a glass which had clearly slipped out of place ages ago. PLEASE get some advice so that this hotel can be one you can be proud of and one which visitors will want to return to.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank CathandAlWimbledon

Travellers are raving about these Batheaston hotels

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

A very pleasant experience. We arrived early and the staff were very helpful with directions for catching the bus into Bath (about 10 minutes). So we left the car in their parking area and didn't return around 10pm, where we were greeted and checked in.

The room was cosy with twin beds (which was what we booked) and a very modern refurbished bathroom. The staff were very detailed on check in with clear instructions for the trick to hot water for the shower which was also written in their information folder. I had forgotten my international power adaptor and reception came to the rescue.

Breakfast was included and in a beautiful setting overlooking the mill wheel, river and bridge. Continental and hot were available - both good quality. Fresh and plentiful. Again, staff were excellent.

Would definitely return if I was lucky enough to visit the area again!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Kaye M
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This hotel is a little hard to find and is located next to an old toll bridge.
The location of the hotel is beautiful, on a river and next to an old bridge.The room we had was a bit small but compensated by the bathroom which was big.

Room Tip: Maybe ask to see the room before you check in
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank colin0235
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
Holiday Inn Express Bath
Bailbrook House Hotel
Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Travelodge Bath Central
Dukes Hotel
Dukes Hotel
#2 of 31 in Bath

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!