“" The VERY Old Mill"”
Review of Old Mill Hotel

Old Mill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Reading the reviews before we arrived at the Old Mill we were a little anxious. Upon checking in we were told we were in the "chalet", which was the smallest room ever, we could not even fit our suitcases in. We had been travelling for 3 days staying in various places and were looking forward to being in the one place for 4 nights. Realising we could not stay here for that length of time we went into town to find wifi as you do not get free wifi at Old Mill to google somewhere else to stay. We found a B&B but it was very difficult to find parking. We went back to the Old Mill and said we were checking out. The manager offered us an "upgrade" in the main building for an extra £15 per night. Purely for the luxury of a car park, which is a very tight fit anyway, we chose to stay. Whilst the room was clean,the carpet was stained and there was no mattress protector between the mattress and bottom sheet. The furnishings were dated, the towel rail was half off the wall, the tv boasted 27 stations but only 3 worked. Our room was cleaned every day and clean towels given which was a bonus. The chairs in the dining room are disgraceful and breakfast was uncomfortable with the manager overseeing everything as if too ensure no one took more than they should - breakfast is dished up to you anyway. Location is good, a couple of good pubs in walking distance, just make sure you don't book the "chalet","annexe" or "lodge". Also beware of photo gallery - our room looked nothing like this.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cathy E
Write a ReviewReviews (1,218)

Reviewed 1 November 2013

As below. jaded, clean, good food, be carful when booking you could be put in the anix, staff very nice good for the city, manager strange furniture needs changing. Could do with changing the manager and giving in a refurb this could be made into a top class hotel.

Room Tip: On arrival the staff were helpful, the manager was like a Cheshire Cat! He failed to speak. The hote...
1  Thank Tim W
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I booked the hotel via Booking.com for a Saturday/Sunday night stay on the third weekend in October. On arrival we were given our room key and shown the dining room. We did not see a single table that looked presentable or a chair that was not worn through to the foam padding. We were told that new chairs were on order but they had not yet arrived. They must have been ordered a long time ago for the chairs to have got into that state whilst waiting. The room was described as small but I hadn't appreciated how small they were. The other thing that had escaped my notice, my error I admit, was that the room I had thought I booked in the hotel was in fact in "The Lodge". " The Lodge" is a extremely misleading term for what is actually a two storey, pre-fabricated, accomodation module on the car park. It is similar to the modules that can be seen on a building site or oil rig platform. The room was small. No space for a chair. The shower room although generally clean did have mould on the sealant and the waste bin by the washbasin was dirty, broken and full of sanitary towels. The window furniture was broken but still secure. We complained and the manager was polite but unable to relocate us due to the hotel being fully booked. We debated whether to leave or at least visit the city and return to see if any progress had been made. None had. After a comfortable night we attended breakfast the following morning. There was no table service. A buffet style breakfast with heated turines containing precooked ingredients and cold toast. During the course of a very pleasant day in and around Bath we decided we couldn't face another night in the Hotel and checked out. I have since complained to Booking.com and received a £60.00 refund on our £180.00 weekend. Not enough in my opinion.

Room Tip: Don't go there till they've considerably improved.
2  Thank Mitchypoos
Reviewed 29 October 2013

On arrival, all looked great, nice friendly staff! I am basing this on 1 nights stay, but felt it was reasonable! The location was beautiful, but old decor, furniture and house keeping let it down. Beds comfy, rooms nice size! Sadly the heating in this room was unbearable, turned off radiator, opened door to balcony, thank goodness it worked as the cool air was great! Noticed Stains on bedding, looked like blood, so slept on top of bed covers. That aside, slept reasonable although did get woken up by noises guests and banging doors! Looked forward to our full English breakfast which was included in our price. On arrival to the room, you told to seat where appropriate, lovely stunning views over the river helped us forget the not so nice dry, cold breakfast! So disappointed, tea and toast were our saviour. Tired decor and furniture again kept this hotel down, sadly won't return!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lizzie B
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Just returned from a stay at this hotel and certainly didn't get value for money. We read the reviews before we went and can honestly say they were all pretty much right. Apart from the location of this hotel it didn't have very much going for it. We were with a large group and were all put in the outside accommodation which does resemble the bates motel !!!!! We arrived back to the hotel at about 11.00 following a night out for a friends birthday and the bar was closed. The receptionist didn't open the bar so we ended up taking our own drink into the bar area. We were told to keep the noise down which we did but the following morning the manager was very rude and said we broke the law by taking our own drink into the bar (which the receptionist had agreed). I explained he had broken the law by letting us, to which he couldn't respond !!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tracy M
respondance, Manager at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

This group of guests arrived at the hotel some what worse for drink and after giving them all ( 10 bedrooms) their keys etc it didn't take them long to start up-setting my other guests. Even to the extent of one man in the car park completely naked except for a sock covering his private parts, I had to deal with a very upset guest who's husband complained on her behalf. I explained to the party that we are a small hotel and that thing like that just were not allowed. They had made arrangements to go out that evening which meant that they all had to dress up in fancy dress as gouls etc which meant a lot of theatrical make-up used, some of which went onto the hotel bedding and bedroom walls,
When asked if the bar would be open when they returned I informed them that if the returned quietly then yes, I explained that I had to think of my other guests,in tghe morning I was informed by my night manager that they did not return quietly and he had to ask them to be quiet on more than one occassion.
The following morning I was asked if I would discount the rooms on the grounds that the bar was closed of which my answer was no .
We value our guests satisfaction and being woken up late at night by a group of people who had been drinking is not a good impression.
Even to the extent that when this party checked out each room was asked if they had used anything from the mini bar and they all said no yet on check it was found that some had used and drunk items. Now that is dishonest

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed in the additional building at the back, so I am not sure if the main building is better? There were lots of little things wrong with the room...the shower went from freezing to scalding. The toilet seat didn't fit, the room was as hot as an oven.

Generally not very clean, or comfy (two twins pushed together as a double)

The breakfast was all under those heat lamps so it was quite bland and overcooked.
I'd avoid it if at all possible!

2  Thank C M
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Old Mill Hotel is in a great location set on the banks of the river and easy to get to Bath either by walking along the canal (beautiful walk) or catching the river boat. Yes the hotel is a little tired and could do with some upgrading but over all it was clean and acceptable for the price we paid. We had a room in the lodge area in the ground floor which wasn't large but adequate for a couple with two suitcases. The breakfast was plentiful and even though they didn't allow you to serve yourself the servings were generous and the staff were pleasant. My only criticism of the staff would be that the reception staff didn't really offer you any tourist information when we checked in, we had to ask and even then they didn't seem to know much. We ate at the restaurant on two nights and the food was good and reasonably priced. Wifi is not free and this was one of the few places in an 8 week trip of Europe where we had to pay. Over all we had a pleasant three night stay here as all we were looking for was a clean comfortable place to sleep at a reasonable price .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
Apex City of Bath Hotel
Hilton Bath City
Hilton Bath City
#26 of 34 in Bath

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!