“below average, dissapointing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
St Austell, United Kingdom
“below average, dissapointing”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

stayed for 1 night.pretty location, unfortunatly we stayed in annexe, liked a room from hi-de-hi, very small, no where to put toilet bag in bathroom. room very clean. mini bar very very expensive.ate in italian resturant, food very nice. breakfast nice, but luke warm, staff very pleasant and helpful. some of the chairs in dining room were ripped, and all missed matched! would recommend on booking, requesting a room in main hotel.was glad we only stayed one night.more 2* than 3*

Room Tip: request a room in main hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paynephil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Paignton, England
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Im lsying in bed in the hotel now room 102 the room is over a boiler room of some discription and has an extractor sound running all night which is not a problem as you get used to it.monday at six the dustmen turned up loudest binmen in england im sure.Being right on the toll bridge traffic backs up so it is like being on a motorway.The nice quiet l9okbof the hotel is faje its the most noisiest hotel i have ever stayed in two inch gap under oyr door which i had to lay a jacket across,computer being used right outside the room Why?put ut in a corner somewhere.You would be better in a travel lodge!!!!

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank wyattfazer

Travellers are raving about these Batheaston hotels

Braunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We came here for a few days as it was our silver wedding anniversary.
We both enjoyed our stay.
Staff very pleasant and helpful.
Breakfast every morning was delicious.Very plentiful.
Clean towels everyday and tea/coffee/milk and biscuits were was topped up every day .
We were very concerned about staying here after reading some very bad reviews, however after arriving at our room (106) we did question weather those who left bad reviews actually stayed at this very hotel!!!!
The shower was lovely, nice and hot and very powerful, room was very nice and people have commented that the heating/radiator wasn't any good, our's was fine no problems at all.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 106 and it was lovely, good size AND A GREAT VIEW AS IT HAS 2 LARGE WINDOWS,
Woking
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Having read reviews on Trip advisor after we had booked got very concerned. However not as bad as we had read. Room in main house (112)was ok four posted bed was a bit over the top. Major problem was how hot it was even with the radiator switched off. The hotel is in need of some TLC, but they are working on upgrading. Friends were staying in the motel section and were unimpressed with size of rooms. Said good job they hadn't brought the cat!!!

Breakfast was fine and views are nice in the sunshine

Room Tip: Get in main house not motel section
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We booked here for an overnight stay last Friday before we read previous reviews. we had a pleasant room overlooking the weir in the main building, which was clean and airy. The bed was comfortable but some of the furniture was a bit tired. However the bathroom was modern and clean. Breakfast next morning was a good buffet ,with freshly fried eggs done perfectly.
Had we read previous reviews first, we would not have booked here but we have no complaint about our stay.The hotel is however quite difficult to find down a very small road to the tollbridge

Room Tip: We were in the main building which we understand is preferable to the annex
aldershot
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed in the loge .it was like a butlins holiday camp ,had to move to another room it was smelly ,burns marks window still and on the net curtains.the other people i was with had to move as well.staff rude not helpful.push us to eat in there cafe only word i can use no way.go across the bridge to eat.great food.if. You can don't go

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank boomed
Wing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

To start with I was travelling to Bath from Buckinghamshire as my father was terminally ill and he had very few days left. The manager knew this and was very helpful on the phone about how to get to the hospital and also suggested other hotels in the area for the Saturday night which he was not able to accommodate.

Having spent the day at the hospital I decided to go and book in and when I arrived in the room, number 114 (double superior) I straight away noticed an odd smell. I tried to open the window but there was no handle so I opened the Juliet balcony door to find a flower box with quite a few cigarette butts in it! The room was noisy from traffic noise and probably a huge boiler (or kitchen equipment) underneath and the windows did little to eliminate the noise. To be fair to the manager, when I asked to move rooms he offered me another double but that was smaller and just as noisy so I stayed put.

My partner and I went back to the hospital and returned about 11pm and went straight to bed. Now whilst I was on tender hooks waiting for the mobile to ring, it was not helped by the very uncomfortable mattress. In the morning it was found to be a zip system, with no topper to eliminate the springs pushing against the top making it a very uncomfortable mattress.

In the bathroom, the shower is plumbed in incorrectly; the hot is on the right and the cold on the left which is against the standards and can cause scalding to you or your children, so beware!

The towel rail was fitted into a stud wall with plastic raw plugs and is hanging off. The toilet is not fitted straight and the holders for the various items such as toilet brush, toothbrush holder etc are all wonky for the same reason.

For the first time in my life, I took the manager to the room to point out the faults and told him that I was going to breakfast whilst he thought about what he will be doing about these problems.

Breakfast was very nice with nice staff but as other reviewers have noted, you feel like you are trying to steal something when you go for more. The restaurant is in a great location, as is the hotel, but the seats are stained and threadbare.

Having checked out, I asked the manager what he is proposing to do about my complaint and he said he would be writing a comprehensive report and nothing else was offered. When I asked for the contact details of the owner, he would not give them to me and told me to email the hotel. He did eventually give me the owners name. Because the manager is hard of hearing I found I had to speak loudly for him to hear and he told me to stop being rude! I told him that I was not shouting, I was not being rude, I had not sworn or threatened him but I was angry with his attitude. Pointing to the CCTV camera, he told me that it had all be recorded which is good really, because if his boss is shown the footage he may be disappointed by his managers attitude. That is of course assuming that the cameras was fitted properly and not hanging on with raw plugs! Because

To his credit, the manager did try to please me by saying that the room, 114 (superior double), was a very popular room and guests ask for it when they return. All I can say is that they must bring their own mattress!

No doubt the manager will defend his actions and try to pass the blame, as he has in other reviews, but given that I was waiting for my father to die, I had received very little sleep the last few nights compounded by no sleep here, his customer service is lacking to non-existent and he may wish to consider how he handles customers genuine complaints in the future.

Reading the other reviews, thank god I didn't take the lodges rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid room 114
5 Thank lazysheepmedia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
Radstock Hotel
#31 of 35 in Bath
Holiday Inn Express Bath
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!