“Be Warned” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
UK
“Be Warned”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I booked this as a last minute treat for a birthday weekend away. How sorry I was not to have read the previous reviews! I booked a superior double room which consisted of a standard double bed of sub superior quality. The mattress had seen better days, there was no protector or topper just a thin sheet covering the mattress. Pillows were flat and lumpy and too had seen better days. The stunning view from the bedroom was marred by several table and chairs which had been stacked up on our balcony, so couldn't use the balcony or appreciate the river view. The bathroom had a hot tub style bath which reception had told us on check in, was not operational as the jets had been switched off. What greeted us were gaping holes in the bath which when filled, oozed some brownish gunk into the bath - hideous. A luke warm breakfast greeted us on Saturday morning with a very basic choice which was okay however, I couldn't understand why I could not dish up for myself as one had to hang around with an empty plate in your hands waiting whilst others were served.
Our key card worked once in 3 days, the rest of the time we had to get reception to open our door. There was no heating and no hot water on our last morning and no breakfast due to the kitchen being flooded. I consider myself a reasonable person and can understand you can't do anything about the floods however, customer service and basic communication was severely lacking. They had flooded over Christmas so why pray tell did they continue to market themselves knowing they had boiler and flood damage issues and yet proceeded to take more bookings. The standard of the room had nothing to do with the floods so I can't excuse them for that. Then there is is the issue with the hotel manager claiming he could do nothing about issuing any sort of a refund as I had pre booked online and it was non refundable. I paid for a service which I didn't get, Other guests were checking out at the same time as us and had similar grievances which were not at all well handled by the manager. Old Mill Lodge you have a spectacular location please don't continue to mess it up with sub standard customer service and sub standard beds and bedding. Your hotel is tired and in need of a good makeover and some fresh energized management wouldn't go amiss either. The only redeeming thing was a young man on reception who was professional and helpful but powerless to make any real difference unlike the manager who became defensive and patronizing. Oh, and we had to ask for toilet paper at 8am on Sunday morning as this had not been replenished the day before and neither were any of the dirty cups or glasses removed. All in all a very disappointing never to be repeated experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you pay for and ask for the size of the bed
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ietsie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Neath
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I had booked to stay for two days January 8th and 9th , monies for the stay was taken before the stay, and non refundable , due to the weather and flooding, hotel management informed me twice on two occasions they were not open for business and would let me know , I emailed and rung two days before the stay where they told me they were still flooded, I then cancelled my stay only to be told I was not entitled to my refund and that the hotel was reopen for business, I then lost out on my train fare and hotel stay and money.
This is very disappointing I will most certainly not be going there to stay , this is not an acceptable way to do business , a partial refund or complimentary offer was not even offered.

Room Tip: I would check cancellation policy before your stay so you can recover nay monies if you miss out on...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank rhian p
respondance, Manager at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
This guest made a booking on a non-refundable basis which means that the money for the entire length of stay is taken at the time of booing. The terms and conditions are that the booking cannot be modified or cancelled. Although during the recent flooding we have tried to be understanding and modified dates for some guests but we as a hotel have never been closed due to the recent flood. This guest was disappointed when she was told that we could not refund her money and as she was arriving by train there has been some train delays in this area but that is nothing that we as a hotel and do anything about, personaly I feel that this guest didn't want to make the journey and tried everyway she could do avoid paying for the booking she had made.

Travellers are raving about these Batheaston hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Our Anniversary weekend treat was spoilt by our stay at this hotel. Room was very small more a single with a double bed in.
Superior double room was far from double never mind superior , double bed just about fitted, bed was hard and did not have a cover on mattress . bathroom had leak behind toilet that ran along to door bottom 6inches of door wet and rotten if you used shower gel and shampoo they were not replaced nor the soap. floor had not been hoovered during our 2 night stay ( we booked 3 nights). There was a function on the Friday night , ok all hotels have them but we were not told that the party was just under our room in a lower floor function room about four steps down from us it was like having the party in your room . when we complained about it the chap on the desk just said that the hotel has functions it stated that on the form we signed on check in I felt he was just saying lump it.
Breakfast was warm and had been sat in warming trays for quite sometime . we left the hotel 1 night early during the evening because again there was a function with more noise and again we had not been informed of this even when we complained the night before. if we had known we would have gone out for the night . this was a very disappointing experience for us on what should have been a quite romantic weekend . we will never return worst hotel i have ever stayed in . Travel lodge is a palace compared to this so called hotel

Room Tip: don't stay here
5 Thank leapyear118
respondance, Manager at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
I was sorry to read this guests review. I agree we did have functions on the friday and saturday night that this guest stayed with us, these functions were christmas parties. We always try our best to maintain any noise but always insist that all music and functions finish at midnight if not before.
It is stated on our web site that we hold functions and to check with the hotel if you want a quiet night before booking.
To conclude maybe its the wrong time of year for this guest to go to a hotel that holds functions as party goers get into the christmas spirit
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Beautiful situation on a quick and frequent bus route into Bath. Food was good and staff were helpful and friendly. However the chairs in the restaurant had torn seats and the chair in our room was stained and had years of dust in the buttoned back. You had to walk up very steep stairs to the first floor(no lift for heavy cases) so the view of the treads of the staircase was in your face each time, and they were so dusty. The toilet bowl in our room had brown stains and the public toilet by the dining room was poorly attended to. Our bed squeaked and was hard and uncomfortable. The bed covering was some sort of slippery material so kept slipping off in the night. It needs someone at the helm to bring this lovely hotel up to better standards of care and cleanliness. Earlier in the year we had five weeks travelling around Australia and New Zealand. The standard of hotels and motels was exceptional, the UK needs to pull it's socks up!

2 Thank Pauline W
Castleford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Upon arrival we were greated by a rather rude and ignorant older gentleman who seemed as though everything was too much trouble.The place looked in need of a refurbishment although my room was quite tidy.When i eventualy got to bed there was a constant fan noise throughout the night and very noisy.My daughter booked our rooms through expedia( bed and breakfast),imagine our shock and suprise when the owner said we had to pay £10.50p each for our breakfast and said expedia were at fault!NOT THE CASE as it was in with the price!We did not have breakfast on principle after arguing with the owner for something we had already paid for and decided to leave..P.S The bar prices are extreemly high and the hotel is not very classy at all...WE WILL NOT BE STAYING AGAIN...infact i would go as far as saying this is the worst experience i have ever had in a hotel..In conclusion nice setting but a pitty about the hotel...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank paddywagtail
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

we have just come home from staying at this hotel. we read the reviews but as we had been before we knew all would be ok, yes it does need a bit of tlc but overall was as nice as we rememberd it our room overlooking the wier was clean and tidy staff very pleasant ., we will return .,

Room Tip: any room overlooking the river 106 is lovely
1 Thank teenys
Luton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We came here with friends for a weekend break and to meet family in Bath. The hotel consisted of rooms in the main hotel building and an annexe. We stayed in the annexe whilst our friends stayed in the main hotel. Our room was very nice, clean and warm with plenty of room to move around. The price was very reasonable and the breakfast was of a high standard. Staff were friendly and helpful. I am pleased I did not take much notice of the comments previously left on trip adviser regarding this hotel as I probably would not have booked. We found this hotel to be very nice. The dining room was very pleasant with beautiful country views from all angles. This hotel was good value for money. I would recommend it to others and would definitely stay there again. Thank you for a very nice stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank evie09luton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel
Radstock Hotel
#29 of 34 in Bath
Holiday Inn Express Bath
Premier Inn Bath City Centre Hotel

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!