“Ok, but wouldn't stay again ”
Review of Old Mill Hotel

Old Mill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
“Ok, but wouldn't stay again ”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as a birthday treat with my wife. First impressions were poor, smoking area next to main entrance and skip full of old mattresses in carpark!
The young man on reception desk was very polite and helpful. Room was clean but bed a little uncomfortable.
Strange that there was no radiator in bathroom but otherwise all ok.
Breakfast was adequate, but not the best. Everything was warm rather than hot
Sure you could to better in Bath itself.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Knobby1966

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I made a booking with the Old Mill Hotel at the beginning of January online. Due to personal reasons I had to cancel this today when I rang up I was told that this could not be done as it was a special rate even though I was giving them over a month in advance in which time they will sell the room and I will lose out on 140 pounds!! When I originally paid for the booking over the phone I was charged for the whole amount, however I just read the email and they should only have charged me half the money and the other half upon arrival. I spoke to the general manager of the hotel today and he was very arrogant and rude over the phone to me! He answered me in an aggressive tone which was frightening for a young women! I was looking to go back for the weekend after but I will never set foot in that hotel after the way I was treated especially by the GENERAL MANAGER!! I ADVISE ANYONE WHOS THINKING OF GOING THERE NOT TO BOTHER AS YOU WILL PROBABLY GET TREATED THE SAME!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Alexandra2844
respondance, General Manager at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
This client made a non-refundable booking via an agent on a web site. The terms and conditions of a non-refundable booking are clearly outlined before the booking is confirmed. When the client telephoned the hotel to cancel the booking she was advised to contact the agency. For some reason she didn't understand so it had to be outlined to her quite clearly that she needed to contact the agency that she made her booking through, where ever possible we try and accommodate changes in bookings but non-refundables are usually cheaper and cannot be cancelled or modified.
I am sorry if the client thought I was being rude but I truley believe that it wasn't a case of being rude it was more the case that the client didn't get what she wanted

Travellers are raving about these Batheaston hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My review will sound a little negative overall, but this is a very cheap hotel in a nice location, so Bear in mind you cant expect it to be great when you pay a budget price..
I can only speak for my own room which was 105.. Clean but quite small, overlooks the car park.
The two single beds were very uncomfortable. The matresses were very much past there best before date !!.. Well stocked mini bar with the usual rip off prices, but the fridge was handy for our own food.
Breakfast was adequate but never hot .. Staff helpful and polite.
The hotel has an italian restaurant on site but I never saw a single customer in the days i was there.. The bar was also as dead as the grave. The hotel is situated about 2 miles from the centre of Bath but be aware that the traffic into Bath during rush hour is almost motionless.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the river.
5 Thank Chris-Mansfield
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I have just returned from a nights stay at the mill hotel and can honestly say it was fine, the room and shower room was clean and warm, good choice for breakfast and friendly staff. For a night away it suited us fine.

1 Thank Jacque M
Halesowen
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I have just got back from a lovely weekend at this hotel. My boyfriend had booked the trip as a surprise and after reading some of the reviews I was apprehensive about going but I needn't have worried. We arrived just after the hotel had flooded over christmas. Unfortunately, with a wonderful location on the riverbank this is an unavoidable occasional occurrence. Obviously, due to the flooding the hotel had a few muddy patches but nothing that a bit of a spring clean wouldn't sort out. There was some work going on in the flooded areas but it did not affect our stay in any way.

We stayed in a superior double overlooking the river which was clean and tidy with a really good shower and a very comfortable bed. Some people have moaned about the beds but let's be honest, no hotel room is going to have a bed that suits everyone. I usually wake up in the night but it was so peaceful and comfortable in our room that I slept really well.

The food here was very good. There was a selection of yogurts, fruit juices and cereals along with a buffet full English. Special mention here to the sausages which were very meaty and herby. We also ate in the Italian restaurant on Friday night and had such a lovely meal that we decided to come back from Bath to eat at the hotel on Saturday night too. They had Thatchers Gold on tap too so I was happy!

All of the staff were friendly and helpful. When we asked reception how to walk to Bath we were given directions for walking along the canal and approximate times along with a warning that it would probably be too muddy so were directed to the bus stop (2 minutes away with several frequent buses stopping there) along with a map.

Overall, we had a very good stay and would have no hesitation returning here or recommending it to friends.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I stayed here last night, its the second time and I have to say the place is excellent value for money. i only paid £39 for B&B and that was a double room. The rooms are warm comfy and nicely furbed with a walk in shower and a mini bar! the hotel is in a nice location and is quiet at night.

If you want somewhere clean comfy and wont break the bank, you could do a lot worse!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank blackdog2k
UK
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I booked this as a last minute treat for a birthday weekend away. How sorry I was not to have read the previous reviews! I booked a superior double room which consisted of a standard double bed of sub superior quality. The mattress had seen better days, there was no protector or topper just a thin sheet covering the mattress. Pillows were flat and lumpy and too had seen better days. The stunning view from the bedroom was marred by several table and chairs which had been stacked up on our balcony, so couldn't use the balcony or appreciate the river view. The bathroom had a hot tub style bath which reception had told us on check in, was not operational as the jets had been switched off. What greeted us were gaping holes in the bath which when filled, oozed some brownish gunk into the bath - hideous. A luke warm breakfast greeted us on Saturday morning with a very basic choice which was okay however, I couldn't understand why I could not dish up for myself as one had to hang around with an empty plate in your hands waiting whilst others were served.
Our key card worked once in 3 days, the rest of the time we had to get reception to open our door. There was no heating and no hot water on our last morning and no breakfast due to the kitchen being flooded. I consider myself a reasonable person and can understand you can't do anything about the floods however, customer service and basic communication was severely lacking. They had flooded over Christmas so why pray tell did they continue to market themselves knowing they had boiler and flood damage issues and yet proceeded to take more bookings. The standard of the room had nothing to do with the floods so I can't excuse them for that. Then there is is the issue with the hotel manager claiming he could do nothing about issuing any sort of a refund as I had pre booked online and it was non refundable. I paid for a service which I didn't get, Other guests were checking out at the same time as us and had similar grievances which were not at all well handled by the manager. Old Mill Lodge you have a spectacular location please don't continue to mess it up with sub standard customer service and sub standard beds and bedding. Your hotel is tired and in need of a good makeover and some fresh energized management wouldn't go amiss either. The only redeeming thing was a young man on reception who was professional and helpful but powerless to make any real difference unlike the manager who became defensive and patronizing. Oh, and we had to ask for toilet paper at 8am on Sunday morning as this had not been replenished the day before and neither were any of the dirty cups or glasses removed. All in all a very disappointing never to be repeated experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you pay for and ask for the size of the bed
5 Thank Ietsie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
Holiday Inn Express Bath
Radstock Hotel
Radstock Hotel
#28 of 31 in Bath
Travelodge Bath Central

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!