Old Mill Hotel
Hotels.com
US$187
US$170
  • Room Service
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,240 results
All reviewsriver viewwater wheelbuffet styleposter bedfull englishlovely roomvisit bathyogurtavonwaterwheelengland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I took my partner there for a surprise treat for her birthday, I was so embarrassed at the condition of this obviously worn out establishment. It looks fantastic on the web, with beautiful looking surroundings. As soon as I pulled up into the car park and saw the condition of the rusty Water Mill wheel I knew this wasn't going to be a good experience. The carpets on the way up to reception were filthy and covered in hairs and all manner of matter! The staff were friendly and allowed us to check in early as our room was ready despite there being a wedding party the night before (must've been a shocker for them). There were empty glasses, full glasses, and beer bottles scattered around the hallway and staircase to the first floor to our room. Once inside I was shocked how bad the room was. It was dirty beyond compare. The balcony through the broken sliding doors had a very sad plant box full of dead vegetation. There was no trouser press as advertised or Iron and board. The tv was reluctant to work and they charged a silly amount for the wifi which, I didn't pay for. The bathroom was smelly, dirty and not a nice place to be. This was further exasperated by a shower that didn't drain. Quite simply you had to shower in under 5 minutes or it would flood, I really would avoid this establishment at all costs this room cost me £130 it wasn't worth anywhere near that. I've stayed in better Holiday inn Express that were bad but good in comparison to this! I can't comment on the Food as we didn't eat dinner only breakfast which was greasy, mundane, cold and not very nice at all. We walked across the toll bridge to the Bathampton Mill for lunch and evening meal which was superb.

Room Tip: Don't go to this tired, sadly run down, establishment.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin P
Oldmillhotel, Duty Manager at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Regarding the wheel condition, unfortunately we suffered very bad flooding this last December and most of our Hotel was destroyed, due to Insurance reasons we were are not allowed to touch the wheel until an assessment was done, the good news is that we now will have a brand new been constructed.

On reading your review it is clear from the offset when you said that as you drove in and saw the “wheel condition of the rusty Water Mill wheel I knew this wasn't going to be a good experience”, you had decided what your stay was going to be like before you even put foot in the hotel. Yes, you are right we did have a wedding function on the night before and the rest of the hotel was booked out by the wedding guests and we do apologise if they put their glasses outside their rooms and had a suitcase outside their room. I think it would be unfair for you to make a judgement on behalf of the wedding guests “(must've been a shocker for them)”. That would not be right. On the contrary we had the wedding bride and groom personally thank us and were very pleased. A lot of the guests from the wedding made an effort to personally thank myself and some of the staff. The rooms have always been complimented on their cleanliness but like I said in the beginning it was clear that you had already decided on what your stay was going to be like even before you got out of your car. We have taken on board any of your constructive criticism and will use that constructively to improve our services. With many thanks and kind regards

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night on our way to South Wales and all I can say is thank God it WAS only one night.

The hotel looks wonderful on arrival with a perfect riverside setting, the bridge & waterwheel and the building covered in ivy looked beautiful in the sunshine but that's as far as it goes. Looks really can be deceptive.

I have no complaints whatsoever about the staff, in fact I'm surprised about some of the negative comments regarding staff attitude on recent reviews as we found everyone we came in contact with to be friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was fine, served in help yourself buffet style which is usual for this type of hotel and was what we expected. It was reasonably cooked and warm with plenty of everything. Our morning waitress was pleasant and friendly, but the best bit was sitting enjoying the riverside views whilst eating.

We did have dinner at the hotel in the evening. Again, the food was fine, Italian pasta's etc but although tasty we thought it a bit pricey for what it was. We were served by the same young man who had been on reception and his service was polite and efficient. We had an issue with the TV in our room not working and he spoke to the manager who sorted the problem for us whilst we were at dinner and you really can't ask for better than that.

All the issues I have with this hotel are to do with the awful, small, dingy room they gave us in what looked like a 70's cheap motel block in the car park. It was small & dark and dingy and brown. It was so depressing that when we went out sightseeing in Bath I did not want to go back to the Old Mill until I really had to as I could not face sitting in that room for a minute longer than absolutely nescessary. For a start it was very small with nowhere to put your suitcases, we ended up leaving most of our stuff in the car overnight as there was no room for anything. The room was also very cold but we had no control over the heating and had to ring reception and ask them to put it on, then, because we had no control, it got too hot!!! and the shower room had no heating at all. We never tried the shower as there was no heating and I just wanted to get breakfast and get away as soon as possible. Also there is WIFI available but at an extra cost, we tried it but it was very slow and we had lots of problems with it. When we tried again the next morning it would not work at all but, In all fairness, the hotel did refund us not just for the hour in the morning but also for the night before so we were satisfied with that.

To sum up, the staff were fine, we found Jet on reception particuarily helpful but the room was
awful. Would we stay at this hotel again... absolutely not.... not in those 'prison cell' rooms anyway. Would we recommend this hotel to a friend.... never.

We did stay over in the area a week later on our way back from Wales but booked into different
accomodation... that says it all really.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by the lovely photos of the riverside setting, bedrooms are horrible.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Janet D
Oldmillhotel, Duty Manager at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for your kind words about our staff, we are all working so hard and it’s lovely to hear kind words like that, it is very well appreciated. We have just refurbished all the rooms in the actual Hotel building and with an extra cost we would love you to experience the Hotel and its' lovely views. The Outside/Lodge rooms are budget cost rooms. With kindest regards, Yours sincerely, Rui Esteves, Duty Manager

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Me and my partner suggested for us to go away while we both had a few days off work. We were looking at Bath and decided to go with The Old Mill lodge.
We arrived at the mill&lodge and we were greeted by a young man on reception, he was very warm and welcoming. we arrived to our room (121). The room was so nice, we had a superior river view and a balcony. the bed was ok a bit hard. we could of liked wifi but you had to pay for it which put us off, but who needs it anyway?!. It is a short drive to the city centre which is also very helpful.

We walked down to the restaurant which was Italian and the waiting staff was so polite and helpful and had a good sense of humour. Breakfast was also okay (not great) but ok.

100% will return...

Room Tip: 121 was a quiet room close to everything
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank housee1234
Oldmillhotel, Duty Manager at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review and kind words. We appreciate you taking the time to write this review. It is so disheartening when we read the bad reviews as my staff and myself are working so hard to improve things here at the Old Mill. We are so glad to hear that you had a good stay and look forward to seeing you again soon. With the kindest of regards, yours sincerely, Rui Esteves, Duty Manager

Reviewed 2 May 2014

The hotel is old as are the rooms! Needs some renovation. We had a bed that folded down from the wall and sank in the middle! The view from the public rooms was lovely and the restaurant was quite good with a good dinner enjoyed by all in our party. Oli the manager was very pleasant and helpful.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JeremyC086

Thank you for your review and we at the Old Mill Hotel value our guests and do our best to keep improving our services. We are so excited to tell you that we have completely refurbished that room and completely removed that bed and replaced it with a brand new bed with a lovely memory foam bed. We are working hard and striving with each new day to improve as much as we can and value our guests opinions good or bad. Oli is unfortunately not the manager but we are still very proud of him. He has recently started with us and am so proud of his progress and dedication to his job. Thank you for your kind words it is so lovely and does motivate our staff. Kindest regards, Yours Sincerely Rui Esteves, Duty Manager

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Lovely location. Free, but tight, parking.

Staff polite and helpful. Breakfast ok.

Did eat in the restaurant. I was looking forward to a few nights of italian dining, but the first pasta meal I had was not prepared as fresh and not worth the premium price tag. I was disappointed so did not return.

My room was in the 70's style block separate from the main hotel. Very little room, had to shuffle around the bed to get to the bathroom, so this will not be a suitable location for those less able or with a fuller frame. The room was also a bit whiffy, not very pleasant, no carpet and paper thin walls... I can't comment on the rooms in the main building.

This hotel will not be for everyone, I think good for a stop-over, travelling tradesmen or those on a tight budget. If you prefer the finer things in life you may wish to shop around and double your budget.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo