Old Mill Hotel
Poplar House(Batheaston)
US$146
Orbitz.com
Bailbrook House Hotel(Bath)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$113
US$99
  • Restaurant
1,243 results
All reviewsriver viewwater wheelbuffet styleposter bedfull englishlovely roomvisit bathyogurtavonwaterwheelengland
Reviewed 15 January 2009

Do not go to the restaurant!

Previously, We had both visited the Old Mill in October of 2007 to enquire about hiring out the bar as a potential wedding party venue. Instantly, we were made to feel awkward for asking and told we would there was nobody available to help with our query. It’s hard to put into words, but you simply know when somebody does not wish to help you. We then decided, stupidly so, that over a year later, we would visit the Old Mill in the hope that our experience before was a one off. It was not!

The initial reception is frosty (at best) with an instant hint of entering a restaurant where you (the customer) are being dealt the most extreme honour by being allowed in the establishment to part with your money. On request of food, we were glared at vacantly and informed “I will check with the chef if we can fit you in”. We were then told we could be served food and given a menu.

We informed the receptionist/barmaid we would like to peruse the menu to decide if we would like to eat here. We had both ordered drinks. Whilst seated, we heard the barmaid make several very loud calls to the chef (within 5 minutes) to advise that we had still not decided. Whilst making a very important phone call, my wife and myself were approached by the barmaid. At which point, I had to hang up my phone call due to being barked at to make up our minds about the food. At this point, we had both decided at the same time that we did not wish to stay. I approached the barmaid and enquired to whether she was simply having a bad day and mentioned we would like to settle our bill (for the untouched alcohol). The only response by the barmaid was to point in the direction of the duty manager. By which point, the deputy manager entered the bar and asked if there was a problem. I reiterated that we felt uncomfortable and wished to leave. There was no attempt to find out the reason behind our decision. There was, however, several defensive comments being made toward me at this point by the barmaid. When I mentioned the abrupt manner in which we were ordered to visit the dining area and the phone call I had previously ended because of this to the duty manager, the barmaid replied with “Well, I did not know you were on your phone” in the driest and most defensive of manners. At this point, a simple statement of “I’m afraid I did not know you were making a call, I apologise” may have sufficed.

With a Basil Fawlty-esque style of management (terribly attempted by the duty manager during our visit), our comment of feeling rushed, uncomfortable and generally unhappy with the service was met with a comment of “well, you ordered the drinks, so you need to pay”. At this point, I need to reiterate that I did give the duty Manager the opportunity to deal with our queries, however, he seemed to not have the bredth of knowledge or enthusiasm to deal with customer queries.

Now, I do not run a restaurant or never wish to. However common sense tells me that if there are 2 very unhappy customers and they wish to leave the restaurant, you would at least attempt to save face by not charging them for any untouched alcohol.. Not in this case. In our opinion, the decision was made by the duty manager at this point that he did not wish to deal with our complaint.

Please note, that after reading previous unfavourable comments on this review website by a couple who had used the Old Mill facilities, the manager replied that the couple were in breach of contract for not informing the staff they had left their room due to the state of their accommodation, I will not accept this reason of contract law for us having to pay for untouched alcohol. My point is this. I know that we ordered the alcohol. But we did not ask to be made to feel uncomfortable in the process of enjoying it. I think the management of the Old Mill are missing the point. Train and hire your staff to deal with potential problems accordingly and you will not get as many bad comments!

If you wish to feel rushed, uncomfortable, completely unvalued as a customer and generally bad in addition to paying for the privilege, then this restaurant experience is for you. However, if you wish to feel welcome, valued and excited about a real restaurant, then continue walking a few hundred yards over the bridge to the one of the other pubs/restaurants!!

With the dated décor, dated customer service skills and attitude to boot, this experience echoed the uncomfortable feeling one may experience by being in the same room as their divorcing parents (by this, I mean the extreme tension).

• Stayed: January 2009
2  Thank January09
Reviewed 16 November 2008

I have just enjoyed a weekend break with friends at The Old Mill in Bath.
We had a great breakfast and a wonderful selection of evening meals to choose from.
All the staff were efficient friendly and helpful.
I'm looking forward to a return visit in the not too distant future!

2  Thank Maltyler
Reviewed 14 November 2008

Myself and my two sister and mother wanted a cheap w/e break which we thought was value for money and we certainly got it. The hotel Manager and staff were extremely helpful and food and room excellent. Unfortunately the ferry boat was not running from the hotel into Bath because of high waters but this was our only dissapointment. Added attraction "Boris" the pet duck. I have stayed three times at this hotel and have never been dissapointed.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank BucksBoris
Reviewed 30 October 2008

This hotel is living in the dark ages. It needs a serious revamp. the green wallpaper in the hallway is faded, and ripped in places, and you can see all the damp patches really clearly.

The ceiling leaked on the stairs over night, and was quite a huge health hazard. I was glad to see that once housekeeping had been in, there was a bucket of sorts to catch the water.

the rooms are small, but I was told they arent as small as the lodge, so good luck anyone wanting to stay in there and being able to move around! Very overpriced for what you get. the room needs redecorating, and the furniture could do to be looked after a bit better.

the younger receptionists were friendly and cheerful, whereas the elder, Miriam I believe, was quite rude and abrupt. When I did see some of what I presume to be housekeeping staff, only one spoke english, I believe she said Aimee or something similar, and she was very helpful with getting extra soaps and shampoo, as you are only given one, even if there are two of you staying!

Basically, not good value for money, and in need of redecoration and some good TLC.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank little_blue_86
l0nd0nRich, General Manager at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2008

I would like to respond to the reviewer who stayed with us recently . I can confirm as I have highlighted in previous reviews that
we have been extremely busy all through the
summer and in to the Autumn this year . This
has prevented us from being able to refurbish
the bedroom corridor without causing serious
disruption to our guests. We are now in a much quieter week this week and have already commenced the redecoration process and envisage completion of the majority of the work by the end of this week
The problem with our roof is that it is a flat
roof and having had so much rain lately it has
caused a problem which we will be repairing once it has dried out. With respect to Miriam
she may have come across as abrupt but
this is most certainly not her nature and is one of the most helpful people you could meet.
May I thank the reviewer for their comments

Reviewed 4 October 2008

Fantastic setting. Very peaceful and serene hotel with very comfortable rooms and excellent staff. Nothing was too much trouble. Make sure you stay in the main building as the rooms in the lodge are quite small. Lovely river bank walks and take a trip on the river bus to Bath. Good food and wine. Great for a small conference. Don't arrive at rush hour as you will be caught in the traffic for the toll bridge. Only criticsm that it needs to state that there are difficulties for disabled persons. Lots of steps and no lift.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)