“Beware Beware Avondale Nightmare”

Avondale Riverside Apartments
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Batheaston
Avondale Riverside Apartments
essex
“Beware Beware Avondale Nightmare”
Reviewed 16 April 2007

where to start

as with the previous review we had a very similar experience.we turned up expecting the best of the 5 star reviews it had received we stayed for 6 nights but were charged for 7 with no discount for the missing night

a warm welcome awaited our arrival with tea coffee and wine all provided but no washing machine and lots of tissue paper used as building material to hold up wobbly lights in wardrobe and shower

THE PROBLEMS

COMPLETE LACK OF PRIVACY

the property is nowhere near private in the six days we were there we were disturb every single day except one

what seemed at the start of the break as the owners being friendly soon turned into what seemed like a constant lecture about rules and regulations during our stay

including constant reminders of what and what not to do with the hot tub so much so there were even written instructions placed right by it.also why we had left our dog for a couple of hours in the day and shouldnt we have taken him with us (our dog suffers with fits and has to stay in on hot days)

the hot tub towels and all the cleaning equipment was kept in the smaller property and was constantly being accessed by the owners also there was no mention of the recording studio on the web site or when booking, it was situated in the dowstairs of the property and had direct access to our apartment.

we were not happy about this duel access aspect of the property having a young child we would not have booked if we had known this

sheila mentions on the other complaint that you shouldnt leave your children but even if your in the lounge someone could easily get upstairs without you knowing.

SHEILA IS RIGHT THERE WERE KEYS TO LOCK YOURSELF IN THE ROOMS BUT THIS IS A RISK IN CASE OF A FIRE AND YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO DO THAT

LEAD LINED RECORDING STUDIO STILL PROVED NOISY
we had to knock to ask the them to turn the music down and bang on the door at least 3 times before they heard also there were people coming and going late at night

also you had the noise from the other apartment which was just separated by a small bit of wall and large double door

HOT TUB
the hot tub was unavailable for the first two days as it was being chemically treated which is fair enough but we were less than happy to arrive back at the apartment on our last night to find a note pinned to the door saying ive taken the hot tub towels from your apartment as i need to wash them for the guests tommorow.when we phoned to explain we would like to use the hot tub on our last night we were told the chemicals had been put in ready for a hen party the next day and offered no compensation just a mubbled apology

so we had use of the hot tub for 4 days out of six and even then is was locked most of the time and you had to phone to ask for sheila to come and unlock it.

really this is just the tip of the iceberg and i could go on for ages
if you are looking for peace quiet and privacy this isnt the place
for you

if you are looking for somewhere that has a noisey recording studio downstairs that robert plant or goldfrapp probably dont use and just some middle aged man and his friends that can access your childrens bedrooms and the owners are happy to take your money without making you fully aware of the above then this is the place for you

• Liked — close proximity to bath
  • Disliked — complete and utter lack of privacy
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank jules31red
sheilapex, owner/manager at Avondale Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, 17 April 2009
These guests shut their small dog in the apartments unattended and did not like my drawing their attention to it. They also misused the Hot Tub resulting in having to empty and refill ,their child thought it was a swimming pool I think. They then complained because they couldnt use the Tub on their last evening. Not welcome to come back Im afraid!

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cape Town
Reviewed 5 April 2007

My family and I (including my 3 children aged 19 months 3 and 5) all stayed here just a few weeks back. We found the owners polite and very helpful, indeed nothing was hidden from us in any way. It was explained to us the several people did have keys to the downstairs area....not a problem for us...pretty normal in most hotels in our experiance, and they told us that the studio was next door...never heard a peep from it...would'nt have minded a G&T with Mr Plant shame he was'nt about.
We loved the little touches that made Avondale feel like home from home, even though we were out most days( helped by good weather). The furnishings were very comfortable, more so than many other self catered places we've been in, very clean and well looked after. We are going back next year to explore the west country some more.
Find the other review a little odd....but there's always one jobs worth out there, I know cos I let a place of my own. Thanks Sheila & Vito see you next May
David and Cythia Parker

• Liked — Location and general presentation
  • Disliked — Busy main road
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
Reviewed 5 February 2007

This place takes the award for most jaw-dropping moments in all the places we have ever stayed...

Stayed here for a w/e with friends and our 1yr old and their 2 yr old. We got there and started unpacking. The place looked a bit nice (though sponsored by Ikea!). Soon the owner turned up, seem nice enough and started chatting, at which point she dropped into the conversation that 'oh, i probably should mention the main who also lives downstairs'.

Incredibly, they rent a room below the apartments out to someone - fair enough, but unbelievably, the staircase outside his door leads straight up to our bedrooms/bathroom without any kind of door between!!!! To say we were gobsmacked is an understatement - I have never been so gobsmacked in my life.

I chilled at the thought we had earmarked those rooms as being for the kids, and the thought that we paid a lot of money to stay somewhere where a complete stranger could simply walk up into our kids bedrooms was just amazing - I still can't believe it as I'm writing this. Immediately spoke with the owner about this crazy situation who got quite snooty and actually had the nerve to be defensive about it, as she didn't seem to think it was an issue!

Somehow, during numerous emails & couple of phone conversations she had never once mentioned this incredibly unusual and ridiculous situation, and instead chose to allow us to drive for 2/3 hours with our children to Bath and then only tell us once we were there and could do nothing about it - ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.

As it was so late we had no choice but to stay, and had to barricade the stairwell in order to feel our kids were safe at night. Not what you expect from 4/5 star accommodation is it?

Also, something which in light of this perhaps revealed their attitude to 'selective information', they had never mentioned the recording studio next door until I said how I had been curious about their email address (questmusic.co.uk) and then actually admitted that they took it off the website 'in case some people were put off by it'.

Basically, they seem happy to take your money but keep important details from you in order to secure the booking, even when they know you are bringing children. As I told her, she must have known if she mentioned about the unusual lodger situation then with our kids in mind we would never have booked it - I just don’t know how they can sleep at night.

So, only stay here if you're happy to have important details kept from you, and don't mind strangers having free access to the apartment you've supposedly rented.

I only hope this review stops other people from having the same unfortunate experience we had.

Stayed February 2007
4 Thank tx42
sheilapex, Owner Manager at Avondale Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, 4 April 2007
Someone kindly advised me of this review which is totally unfounded and over reactive. My apartments sleep either one group of 8 or two groups of 4 people. The smaller apartment has a staircase leading down to the garden door and storage rooms below for maintenance, garden machinery and one room that a sound engineer uses for storing his equipment. This engineer works in the studio and does not live there, he has a key to the garden door as do the cleaning staff, gardener, my husband and myself - so several people have access. The door to the ground floor longe has a lock and key as does the bedrooms off the first floor landing. The situation is very similar to that of many Guest house and Hotels, staff have keys and so do you. If you rent a Villa abroad the garden boy will arrive unannounced as will the maids to do the cleaning! Whilst being very aware of security issues particularly regarding children would these people seriously leave very young children unattended any where in a strange place.
I would certainly never let me apartments to families and put them in any situation I consider dangerous. I always point out the fact that we have a river close by and balconies which children might climb on, I also have strict health and safety conditions regarding use of the Hot Tub .
I was not pleased to find that these guests had piled all our garden furniture up and barracaded the staircase causing a fire escape to be blocked.
When the guest complained i dealt with it in a polite way and suggested that if he was dissatisfied I would happily refund his money and they could leave the following day.

The comment about Ikea was very unnecessary as I'm sure all Ikea fans will agree!! I have a mixture of Laura Ashley, Sofa workshop, Cargo and yes Ikea - most people comment on how nicely the apartments are furnished.

The recording studio aspect is neither here nor there as it is lead lined and separate from the accommodation. Most guests are really interested in the fact that Robert Plant, Marty Wild, Goldfrapp to name a few might be their close neighbours!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
Bailbrook House Hotel
#7 of 35 in Bath
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Apsley House Hotel

Been to Avondale Riverside Apartments? Share your experiences!