“Little Gem”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Skala Kallonis
Wakefield UK
“Little Gem”
Reviewed 1 December 2009

Visited the Pela Hotel and Lesbos for the first time in July 09.

Flights on schedule with transfers to Skala Kalloni approx 1 hour.

Rooms at the Pela are quite small but adequate if your like us and don't really use self catering facilities. We had booked b&b as all the self catering studios were full but I think you would struggle to cook in them due to the lack of room. I emailed the hotel and asked for a quiet room and got one at the back away from the boat yard but we found the place was not really noisy anyway.
The pool area and bar are very nice with lots of room for sunbathing or shade. We tried the restaurant and found the food very good. The pool bar prices were only a few cents more than in the village so it was not an issue.

Skala Kalloni village is very traditional just as we like them and was about 5 minutes walk from the hotel. All the tavernas and bars are all very reasonably priced, cheaper than most other Greek Islands we thought. It was nice to have a few beers in one of the harbour bars and watch the fisherman sorting out their nets etc. The village has a lovely square with 4 or 5 tavernas around it all serving good traditional Greek food. There are also a few gyros places and they were superb for a late snack. All the greeks use them for a take away treat.

There are alot of dogs around but they do not bother you, just don't feed them if you don't want to be pestered.

The beach is approx 100 yards from the Pela Hotel, this part of the beach is quiet and sandy. There is some sea grass but it's only in places. The water is warm and great for a swim although it is quite shallow till you go further out.

We read a few reports before travelling about the grumpy owners and staff of the hotel witht their noisy dogs but we found Thekla, her father and barman Yannis most charming and good company and we hardly ever heard the dogs. Perhaps the people who made the those comments did not make the effort. We got on very well with everyone from day one.

Overall the hotel and resort are great if you like it quiet and more traditional.

We hope to visit again very soon.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank B0bbyJ0e

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2009

I will start of this review by saying that we have been to a number of Greek Islands over the last 8 years or so and have tended to stay in Self Catering accomodation, because of the benefit of a fridge to keep water cool, and also to allow us to make up rolls to take down to the beach. The fact that this hotel is advertised as having Self Catering options as well as Bed & Breakfast and Half Board led me to believe that the basic room would be sufficient for our needs with B & B and Half Board being additional options to a basic self catering holiday. How wrong I was! They have SIX Self Catering rooms. If you are fortunate enough to get one of these rooms then you would indeed have the basics that many would expect these days (and even 10 years ago). If not then this hotel is not worth booking even though it is pushed in this season's Thompson in flight magazine.

The positives about the rooms are:-

Shower Tray and curtain, and hot water at all times of day. These are indeed positives for Greece at this budget.

Drain holes in the balcony in the event of rain. Anyone who has stayed in accomodation without this and has been unfortunate to experience heavy rain will know what I mean!

I struggle to think of anything else.

The negatives about the rooms are:-

Size.

The Bed and Breaklfast ones are far smaller than the photo's shown on the Hotel's website. As a result of the limited space, once you get two people with luggage, then they become VERY small. It is practically impossible to keep things tidy due to lack of drawer and storage space. Given this the maids do an amazing job!

Noise.

Not from outside, but from within! The beds in our room were very creaky - mine in particular was very unforgiving. Any movement at all would produce a loud CREAK. This meant that whenever I moved in the night I would wake myself and my partner up. After a few days we swapped beds which did make things a bit quieter although that bed was still unforgiving to my partner's smaller frame. Her original bed that I was now in was not that much better.

The wardrobe had sliding doors. Owing to the lack of space we stood one of the empty cases in there. If we needed to access it, the doors would grumble loudly about being moved.

The main room door had clearly dropped at some stage and would grate against the floor if more than half open. Indeed you had to put some force against it to get it to move.

The shutters and balcony doors being wooden also suffered as one might expect. Wooden shutters look nice, but in this day and age they belong to a past era if they are not regularly oiled and checked to see if they have dropped. One of our doors had dropped so much that the floor had a very telling groove.

There have been some comments about dogs barking. Yes they do bark, but not all night, and it is not as bad as the Alykes area of Zakynthos when one dog may bark up in the hills setting of a chain of dogs barking down the slopes. Nor do you get much noise from Cockerals. The one in the boat yard accross the road seemed to be almost lazy in not crowing until quite late in the morning.

Storage space.

One double wardrobe with noisy sliding doors that became like the black hole of Calcutta if you wanted to look for something behind the doors (because you dare not slide them due to the noise). One drawer in each bedside table that were not particularly deep. One drawer in the dressing table which was again shallow, and three drawers at the base of half the wardrobe. Thats it!

Fridge

This was a very quite fridge, but it has no ice compartment and had a drawer underneath that did not seem to do anything. It certainly did not keep any thing cold. There is a shelf and stowage area above the fridge that we used to keep our tea, coffee and sugar.

Hairdryer.

This was noisy and ineffectual. It would be better if these were taken out and replaced by kettles.

Lacking items.

In 2009, even in Greece it is unnacceptable that kettles are not provided in rooms for tourists as standard. We all need a drink in the morning. The fact that the hotel could not even provide one is even worse. We ended up after a couple of days trying to do without walking up to Kalloni town to buy one. We could not get a tourist size so I hope that the maid has taken advantage of what we left behind - I would not want the grumpy owner to - I'll get to her later! The First Choice rep suggested that Kalloni is half an hour's walk away. It isn't. It's an hour. It's even 20 minutes or so by bike, and I class myself as a quick cyclist. If you do go to Skalla Kalloni and find yourself without a kettle try the large supermarket in Kallono on the road towards Mytelline as they have tourist kettles for 11 Euros, which we found after paying 15 Euros for a large one from the Electrical store on the opposite corner.

Turning to the other facilities in the hotel, the breakfast consists of a very basic repetitive selection of bread, toast breads, chocolate cake, tinned fruit, greek yoghurt, honey, cheese and ham slices and hard boiled eggs. If you wanted a cooked breakfast it was 4.20 Euros. I did have one of these on the last day before the airport as frankly I was fed up with the repetitive choice. The ultra thin slices of toast just about summed up the owner - again more later.

Evening meals were available at 15 Euros. It was a set menu and you had to order in the morning. We were told that the food was very well cooked, but as we found that we were spending no more than 25 Euros including drinks and 10% tip for the both of us at the restaurants in the resort we did not take up the option.

There was a very good book selection and internet facilities were available at a reasonable 3 Euros an hour. They also offered a clothes washing service for 11 Euros - we did not take this up. I know that water maybe expensive, but not that expensive surely? We have our own washing line and pegs which live in one of our suitcases for just this reason.

The owner.

Some repeat guests told us that she (Thekla was her name I think) is one of three sisters. The other two have moved away leaving her with her parents. Her father did smile in the mornings at reception, but she was quite grumpy and she immediately put us of on arrival. We had booked the holiday online and for some reason First Choice require the lead party to be the one paying for it - as we paid for it from my partner's account, I put her down as lead party. My partner wanted to look around to take in the view after getting of the coach. I went into reception to check in and was told that my partner's passport was required and that she would have to come in. I went out and asked my partner to come in with me at which stage Thekla shouted at my partner "Come on, we have been waiting for you!" Not exactly a warm welcome.

As we had not been to the Island before we went to the welcome meeting and soon discovered that a bottle of Mythos was 3.20 Euros! It is not even that much at a taverna near the airport. I am afraid the grumpy welcome and excessive profiteering tied up with the poor standard room and lack of kettle rather put us of Thekla. As a result we did not go to the bar in the evenings and are not pool people. We therefore did not spend much money at the hotel, and perhaps that was why she was grumpy, although I think that she was grumpy simply because she had been left running the hotel and does not want the job - even repeat guests were commenting on the cutbacks in options at breakfast and her attitude.

Now to the resort. We were blessed with excellant weather - it was, we were told unusually good for the time of year and we only had one shower overnight and a couple of partly cloudy days. The Island certainly lived up to its reputation as having lower levels of rainfall in October, and it was probably about the best weather we have had in October anywhere.

The Island is a working Island and does not rely so much on tourism. This is apparent as some of the locals gave the impression of being in a bit more of a hurry than they are in more touristy Islands. I think also that their dialect was very fast. Every Greek Island has its own dialect - the Zakynthions are quite musical - the brummies of Greece for example. I think that the Lesvians are either the Glaswegians or Geordies of Greece. They talk very quickly and very loud. That said they did understand my limited Greek but did not express any surprise that I can speak a few phrases unlike they do elsewhere.

The food is OK, but there were hardly any meals that were outstanding, the value was good though, as detailed above. The resort has two bakeries. One is by the harbour and sells crusty bagguettes at 1 Euro. These are good, but sometimes you fancy a change and we found a bakery selling soft long rolls at 80 cents on the road leading inland from the main village square. However if you get there much before 8AM you do sometimes have to wait whilst they take the trays out of the oven. You then go to the back and help yourself - but beware of that the trays will be hot! The head baker will helpfully tell you if you are about to choose bread from the day before.

Bike Hire is 5 Euros a day or 4 Euros a day for longer. Whilst we felt that this was a little bit dearer than elsewhere, we did hire bikes for 10 days and the so and the owner of the hire firm (one of three on the backstreets), Anastasia was very friendly.

I also had a car for a couple of days. The roads to Molivos and Skala Eressos were challenging in parts, but there were some nice views although limited places to stop and take photos. Molivos has more tourist shops than Skala Kalloni or Skala Eressos, but is not for those who have mobility issues as the main shopping road is on the hill leading up to the castle. This is a narrow road and as such gets plenty of shade and would be some where to go on a very hot day. Skala Eressos has a nice beach but the drop once in the sea is quite steep and also quite stony. Molivos beach is mainly large pebbles. I also had a look at Petra which also had a good selection of shops and has clearly benefitted from recent road improvements. If you can cope with the stretch of journey from Kalloni to Petra then this resort probably offers a bit more than Skala Kalloni.

Skala Kalloni however benefits from its position on the bay with very shallow seas. There is some sea grass, but generally you can see it and can in October avoid it.
We went to the sunbeds for a few days but we prefer beaches where you don't get any disturbance at all. We found one at the other end of the resort from the Pela heading towards the Saltworks before the river. There is a hotel up this end that was used primarily by Germans that closed at the end of the 2008 season. Last year, this stretch of beach would probably have been busy - a beachside bar had also closed up. This year because of the closures there were very few on here and we found a nice spot by said abandoned bar with some shade from a tree. They say the Germans get the best beaches, and whilst the sand is a bit more courser there is less sea grass at this end and it is well worth the walk - or bike ride at the moment.

Skala Kalloni is the resort to go if you are seeking quietness and relaxation. If you want to go anywhere else then unless you walk, hire a bike or car then you are limited on where you can go. It has no bus service - the nearest is from Kalloni and no tour offices selling trips. Even the offerings by First Choice are limited (Skala Erressos, Boat trips from Molivos - thats about it). On our return to the airport when we had to divert on a tour through Mytilene due to road works, we both agreed that it was unfortunate that there were no trips to here as it certainly appears to have much interest with its castle, port and harbour and large variety of shops and buildings of achitectural interest. It is not though a town that I would want to drive through with its one way systems!

The Airport is very small, but benefits from being only to handle one or two planes at a time. This means that you can check your cases in, and wander up to a Taverna and have a bite to eat before your flight. Prices were not inflated here (unusual for being near to the airport) but as they only have one waiter be prepared to wait to get served if you don't head their straight away. The advantage is that you can hear (but not see) a plane land, so you will have an idea whether the plane has landed. Alternatively you can cross the road from the Airport and sit by the sea - even have a paddle. It was certainly one of my more enjoyable experiences at Greek Airports.

Would we go back to Lesvos? There are parts of the Island that we did not see, whilst we do not rule it out, we would NEVER go back to the Pela Hotel. It is about the worst place we have stayed in anywhere! I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy let alone a friend!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tuliptownman
Newtownards
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Just back from the Pela,stayed from 2nd -9th July 2009. B&B basis. Firstly, the hotel is in very good location just 200yds from the beach. The hotel itself is clean and well maintained, the rooms are basic and the decor is dated. That said it was clean and tidy.
I would say that is at the top end of the 2 star category. The pool abd veranda were spacious, although we nbever used the pool, preferring the sea.
The brakfast was the same each morning and it was adequate and not the worst we have had in other hotels in Greece.

For us the hotel was let down by a couple of things.
1. The owners Thekla and her Fatherwere surly and sullen, (Janis the bar man was friendly).We found them unhelpful, we had an incident when we the lock on one of our suitcases jammed. We we went to ask if they had any tools, they said come back in the morning, this was at 9pm in the evening and it was not as if they were run off their feet, but they were too busy to help. We would have been in a pickle if we had not already had our clothesd available. We sorted the problem ourselves with the help a trusty pair of nail clippers.

2. The Hotel is situated directly across from a boat yard, this boat yeard has a guard dog which barked incessantly throughout the night at its own shadow. Add the reciprical barking of the hotel dog equals no sleep. After two nights we asked the hotel to do something about it (as had others). We would advise earplugs, especially if you have rooms that face the boat yard (our room was 306). They did sort their own dog by keeping it at the back of the hotel, and they did speak to the boat yard owners and things improved until the last night when the midnight howls were evident again. More on the dogs issue later

Skala Kalloni is a very small resort with a good selection of tavernas. The town is closed to traffic at night and is a very relaxing place. It has a nice liitel harbour whichis busy with the sardine fishermen. The beach is good and the Gulf of Kalloni is shallow and safe for children. We used a section of the beach closest to the hotel run by an English couple Ron & Carole, very welcoming and very freindly, good customer service, they provided a cool box of sorts a part of the package, excellent value at €5 for two beds & umbrella, use of lilos, even a book library;If you are going to Lesbos staying at the Pela/Aegeon/Meltemi/Kalloni 2, give them you custom.

We enjoyed our stay in Skala Kalloni, never had a bad meal and enjoyed the bar cafe of on the square, people watching. Only drawback was the pack of 6-10 dogs that roamed the square and beach area, uncontolled, they were a nuisance especially when eating at the tavernas as they were allowed to roam in an out the tables when eating and they were obviously all flea ridden. If you were frightend of dogs it could be intimaditing especially if 5 of them surround your table.

We had some excitement during our stay, part of the hillside were on fire and the Greek authorities sent in the water planes to douse the fire, they tanked up beyond the harbour we we able to watch them fly in scoop up and fly off to the fire zone, this continued all day from 1pm-8:30pm.

If you can get a trip to Petra or Molyvos very pretty resorts.

All in all a good holiday.

The Pela is a decent two star hotel, in a good location spolied only by the proximity of the boat yard and the unfriendliness of the owners.

If you go take ear plugs you may get rooms facing the road.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank greekirelander
Manchester
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We have stayed in the Pela several times and each time cannot fault it. We have to admit we love Skala Kalloni and have been visiting for 12 years, staying in different accommodation but the Pela is definitely the best. Family run, Father is so nice and friendly and the two daughters who help run it are simply superb. They look after all the guests admirably and are always smiling and joking.
The hotel is in a beautiful spot and is only a short walk from the beach. The village is a ten minute stroll and has a good selection of tavernas. We have never encountered a surly waiter and they seem genuinely pleased to see you, which is more than you can say for spanish resorts.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter D
essex
Reviewed 30 June 2009

would like to say thank you to Theckler and Yanis for making our stay. it was a late deal so not sure what we would get, could not have wished for better. 200yds from beach look out for Beryl and husband first beach beds you come too, such a nice couple you even get a cooler box to put your water in. if your looking for a somewhere to relax with plenty of sun look no further.

1 Thank EssexSungod
Wales
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We did quite a bit of research before booking our trip to Lesvos, as with most people our fortnight holidays are very precious. We read reviews about the Pela and the resort of Skala Kalloni and thought - lets give it a go. While the island is beautiful with lots of olive trees and mountains, it is very large and if you want to travel anywhere its at least an hour by road. However the main roads are good and the traffic is quiet.
The resort itself is very "old Greece" , fairly quiet, a few cafe bars and restaurants, one main minimarket and one gift shop. Although there is not a huge selection of restaurants we found a couple that we particularly liked - Enigma was our favourite - there was always a warm welcome and very good food. The beach is long and although the sand is a bit gritty and grey it was clean (this was a surprise as there is a lot of stray dogs around the resort). When we visited the beach we used the sunbeds owned by Ron and Beryl a really pleasant couple who seems to have thought of everything - even a cool box to put your water in. We found the sea to be a bit unpleasant - there is a lot of seagrass all over the seabed which was a bit weird. Lots of fish to see though and we even spotted dolphins one day in the bay.
The Pela hotel is situated a pleasant five minute walk from the beach. The gardens were really pretty and well looked after, the pool was large with plenty of sunbeds along with a pool bar that was great for lunch. It was lovely to sit at the pool in the late afternoons and watch the birds swooping down over the pool to take a drink. Our room however was badly in need of some updating. The decoration was shabby, the furniture very dated and the bathroom was functional but lets just leave it at that. Despite that the room was kept very clean - the maids visited six out of seven days and our bedding and towels were changed a couple of times a week. Anyone considering self catering be warned - these rooms are very close to the pool bar which gets very noisy late into the night/early morning add to this the noise of barking dogs and you may need earplugs to sleep - we did.
Many people seem to return here year after year and the welcome they receive from the owners is that of old friends, unfortunately if you're not a returning old friend and you don't spend a lot of time and money at the pool bar then the welcome is subdued to say the least. Whilst being pleasant and polite the owners make little effort to get to know you (despite attempts at conversation on our part). Overall our holiday was okay but we won't be rushing back.

1 Thank darkwingWales
Surrey
Reviewed 16 June 2009

This is our first visit to Lesvos and the Hotel Pela. We had two wonderfull weeks of sun and relaxation. The Hotel is run by Thekler and her father, assisted by Janis. Nothing was too much trouble and Thekler took the trouble to get to know each and every guest. Many of the guests return to this hotel year after year and now we are going to join the ranks of followers and will return next year. The food was amazing, take a tip from us and if you are on HB, then make sure you skip lunch because the portions are huge and the food is so good you would not want to miss any of it. We spent our days on the beach part of which is run by an English couple called Beryl and Ron and they too could not do enough for you. We met some really nice people and have exchanged numbers with one couple. This place is definately not for children and teenagers, but oldies like us or those that want to chill this is the place to go.

1 Thank pollypotwash
#7 of 7 in Skala Kallonis
Aphrodite Beach Hotel
Aphrodite Beach Hotel
#2 of 5 in Vatera

Been to Pela Hotel? Share your experiences!