“NOT 5 STAR”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Kargicak
Dundee, United Kingdom
“NOT 5 STAR”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We have just returned from a two week holiday here . The views are to die for and our accommodation was really spacious and nice. Maid service was excellent as were the Animation team around the pool etc. We were on a family holiday but have to say we were glad to come home. The amount of rude people we came across was ridiculous to say the least. They pushed in front at meal times, pushed and reserved seats on the shuttle bus so others couldn't sit down. Reserved sun beds and never appeared for hours. The marble floors were soaking daily with kids and adults walking through the hotel straight from the pool, which was extremely dangerous. There were also rude people shouting their orders for drinks ahead of the Brits and getting served by the staff, which made it worse. I wish I could say the staff were a joy...but unfortunately that was not the case. There are a few that are polite. My 15 year old daughter hated being "leered " at in the dining room and also by photographers by the pool. This could be a marvellous place to go for a holiday, but you really need to take a look at the way things are and do something about it....NOW. I also watched a photographer take a child from a sunbed while mum wasn't looking (which was a real worry) The mum had booked photos to be taken the day before and now this guy thought it was ok to just take somebody's child....NO it's not ok. The mum was panicking as she thought the little 3yr old girl had gone into the pool and was going about looking for her. My daughter and I saw it happen and were able to tell her who had taken her. As you can imagine she was not at all happy. So all I can say is, watch your kids and young daughters. We were All Inclusive and wish we hadn't because the food was luke warm every single day and really not catering for the British traveller at all. One day a young lad was sick at the entrance to the toilets near the pool and my daughter told reception as people were walking through it is bare feet and flip flops, but it was never disinfected or closed for cleaning and then a few moments after this event an elderly man blew his nose with his fingers beside the sunbeds........Absolutely Disgusting..... Drinks were often warm and no fizz. We asked to pay to keep our room as we were not leaving til evening and were told it was not possible, so did they have a room for guests to get washed and changed then, oh yes you can use the spa facilities they said. Well the whole changing area and shower area was a disgrace, it was smelly and needed a good clean and then the hairdryer didn't work. Think this was disgraceful as we paid a lot of money for our holiday and this place just did not meet our expectations. To not even have a room for people to freshen up in to go home is just not right .
I want to write good things about this place....but I just can't.

You have a prime location, you should be looking after it and your guests.....From ALL COUNTRIES, not just Russia and Germany etc. The hotel is looking tired inside and out and is certainly not worthy of 5 Stars.

Be warned of the LONG,LONG transfer.

Sorry to say we won't be back.

Room Tip: Stay in the hotel as the hotel is on a very steep hill and has villas also and request high floors.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank valheggie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed for a week mid-June. The hotel makes a great first impression but once you get a bit of a closer look a few things need updating. Our room was fantastic and we had been upgraded to a family suite but some of the living room furniture was looking a bit shabby. Again, the pool area was brilliant but the sunbeds and parasols were looking a bit worn, a bit of investment in this area would really improve the overall image of the hotel. We found the seating area by the water slides was a lot nicer, and quieter.

The staff were ok, you need to get to know them and definitely tip as it is customary. The restaurant staff seemed overworked at busy times during dinner service. Most evenings we got down to find there were no clean tables with cutlery. We soon found that it was a lot nicer to come down for dinner early and sit in the outdoor area by the pool. Food was typical of an all-inclusive buffet. Some things were repeated every night but there was enough variation in the main dishes to stop you getting bored. Plus a meal at the al-a-carte restaurant is included in your hotel booking - definitely the best meal of our trip!

The slides were fantastic to keep you busy during the day and there are plenty of bars and shows to visit in the evening. We went to the rooftop zodiac bar on our final night as we really wanted to try it. Although it had looked closed all week some very friendly staff happily served us and turned on all the lights and music for us.

Goldcity has a free shuttle to the beach, which is well equipped for lunchtime food service and has plenty of sunbeds. You can also pay 1 euro for a shuttle to Alanya which was nice to see, but a bit too 'touristy' for our liking. It made us glad our hotel was tucked away up a hill. The only downside to the location is that the airport transfer was 3 hours. We did book a speedy shuttle, but private transfer is quicker.

Room Tip: The rooms on the west side of the hotel are quiet and have a great sunset view Family suites have s...
4 Thank Miss_S_87
GoldcityManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Goldcity Tourism Complex, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Guest.
Thank you very much for the review. We are glad your stay with us caused only positive emotions. We will be happy to see you among our guests in the future and make you feel like home.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Can clearly see why it's 5*. The main pool is massive, waiters are generally great and the Irish bar is a must! Views from the 16th floor bar are amazing! Shuttle bus service is a bit hit and miss and always crowed but overall a great hotel. The transfer from Antalya takes 2 and a half hours though... Going into Antalya for a night out is a must, quite a few bars and clubs and loads of taxis to get back to hotel in the early hours of the morning. Only criticism I have is that breakfast isn't great and the all inclusive runs out at midnight but oh well could be worse!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank EssexKane

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Well where do I start.. as this was our first ever holiday abroad.. I was absolutely petrified I was going to book somewhere which was horrendous... Gold City Tourism Complex was our decision and my god were so thankfull we choose it.. although its just under a 3 hour transfere from antalaya airport..went really quick.. some fantastic views and building to see all tge way...arrived at 6.30pm with my partner and 3 children.. very friendly welcome from reception.. they said go and eat in the restraunt first then we'll check you in.. they stored our suitcases for us while we went to eat.. food was brilliant.. great choice.. all so fresh looking.. kids loved being able to go and get there own food and drinks.. or the waiters would order and bring your drinks if you asked... checked into our villa.. WOW!! We were not expecting a two story villa.. with incredible views of alanya and mountains surrounding... 3 bathrooms and a jacuzzi bath.. 2 double bedrooms.. 1 twin room..lounge and kitchen..washing machine with washing powder provided..dishwasher.. 12 bottles of fresh bottled water in the fridge.. 2 balconies and a bbq.. air conditioned rooms..swimming pools are absolutely brilliant.. we all loved them and so many to choose from.. waterpark is the iceing on the cake really.. makes this hotel 10/10.. evening entertainment was spot on.. African acrobats.. lion king musical.. fashion shows.. quizes.. turkish night.. bingo.. disco's.. light and fire show from croachia.. and many more.. people were all lovely.. all very friendly and wanting you to have a fantadtic time.. must recommend having a turkish bath in there own amazeing spa downstairs.. kids even had a chocolate massage at the same time with us.. I could go on for hours writing.. but please dont read a bad review and be put off.. this place is ace.. free bus to the beach .. last one leaves at 8pm..regular buses to alanya town.. about 10 lira for 5 of us.. (£3.50)ish..
Gold cable park.. is brill although this is extra but the kids loved the wake boarding.. we saved this untill the last day.. definitely return again next year.. no negatives at all.. could do with more high chairs for children but that's all..thanks goldcity.. xx

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Jenni R
GoldcityManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Goldcity Tourism Complex, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Jenny R,
Thank you very much for your nice words. As a Touristic Complex we do our best for our guests because if you are happy, we are happy too. Hope to see you again.
Best Regards,
Tatiyana
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Travelled here 1 week ago with my boyfriend and overall had a brilliant experience and lovely holiday. would definitely recommend! Probably go all inclusive as town is a bus journey away as your so high up a hill that you end up eating at the hotel everyday anyway. they were quite confused by our bb bands so musnt get many people staying that way.

Pros
-Forget what others say the staff are really lovely! there is a language barrier but this doesnt mean they are rude! still very helpful and polite, especially those in the up hill restaurant. the chef and a particular waiter went out of their way to make me feel comfortable as i have a nut allergy, always checking to see if I was okay and offering to make anything to cater for this. food was lovely, try the hot chocolate cake!!
-The hotel itself is beautiful, with amazing pools and views! plenty to do table tennis, a personal water park and beach, shows put on in the evening. It seemed they made sure there was plenty for the children to do.
-It was clean

Cons
We stayed in a villa which was beautiful, but had problems trying to get a hairdryer! I read on the hotel page they were provided but was told as some villas are owned privately they might not be provided by owners, which I deemed a bit unfair as I was a guest just like those staying in the main hotel. It did take a few days to resolve but was sorted all in the end.
-We arrived very early in the morning and reception staff didnt fully explain the concept of the hotel to us. eg. that money has to be put on a card which is only accepted by the hotel, no cash. so took us a day to settle in and understand this but nothing to major just a pre warning.
-Breakfast did get a little monotonous after having to eat pancakes everyday, unless you like the mediterranean style of cheese meat and olives in the morning.

Definitely go to the beach if you want to do any activities, the goldcity people there sell it much cheaper than the guy who approaches you in the hotel.

Room Tip: For less walking try and stay in the main hotel.
2 Thank 590nik

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

After our 4 hour bus journey from the airport, our first impression the hotel is quite phenomenal, it sits imposing on the top of a hill, completely over shadowing the maze of sky rising hotels in the town below, everything appears to be quite immaculate and they have tried quite hard to offer anything you could possibly want and need. My boyfriend and I had chosen to stay in a villa, and to be on a bed and breakfast board. Let me express that was a mistake because the entire time we were there i never saw anyone else with purple (b+b) bracelet you got on arrival, everyone had the all inclusive gold, and with good reason, because everything was organised for people who were all inclusive, I don't know how I missed the memo! At dinner in the buffet (which had an adequate choice of savoury and a great amount of fun little taster desserts) my boyfriend and I would wait at the entrance for 5-10 mins before anyone would come over so we could pay, while everyone else could walk in (it was very tempting to do that as well) similarly at the beach bar when they saw I was not all inclusive they didn't even know how much to charge for the drinks!
This takes me on to some of the hotel's metaphorical 'cracks'. It was greatly let down by its staff. Varying from being blunt to rude to being especially slow, they all had politeness short comings beyond the language barrier, and I ended up feeling more or less shirked off by them after every encounter.
Another point to take a lot of notice of is that the complex is indeed on a hill and of you're staying in a villa like we were you are reminded of that every time you have to climb the dreaded stairs to the hotel. The ones closest to us were so, sheer and small I ended up slipping and doing some serious damage to my backside (don't laugh) and leg, and we were always out of breath while we reached the top, I could almost say it was worth it for the views but having to climb those stairs put you off wanting to up to the hotel if you came back to your villa.
The villa itself was split into 4 apartments , ours had a dining, sitting and kitchen area with a balcony and outside table and chairs, a bathroom and a double and a single bed in the bedroom(which were very hard!), it was very pleasant with marble floors and air con however when the maids washed the floors they didn't dilute the soap so the floors felt constantly soapy even when dry and if you spilt water you'd be sliding everywhere, having soapy floors also just generally feels nasty and we had to keep our shoes on all the time. Something lovely we found was a beautiful pool with amazing views next to the villas, away from the hotel it seemed like only people in nearby villas would come across it, and it was almost always empty which added an extra secluded element and the pool itself, like all of them was lovely and clean.
Having frequent buses to the beach was great, it's was goldcity's private beach, a 10 minute bus ride away with sun beds with shade over them which was very welcome. The beach was fine, the waves were breaking hard the day we visited so there was not much swimming but the sea was decent. Something we found with the buses, especially the one for alanya which you have to pay for is not to line at the front as you would a normal bus to pay, there is always a scrabble for seats, so if the door in the middle of the bus opens, go for it, dont fret about paying, as you pay at the end, standing in what was a coach rather than a bus with no handles for half an hour was no ones idea of fun, another little issue, although it may be personal is the the buses leave 4 hour intervals between dropping off and picking up in alanya, so you may find yourself with time on your hands at the end of it after you've exhausted the souvenir shops which are selling almost exactly the same products in every place you go, be prepared to barter, although it can be fun when you get into it.
For all it's short coming goldcity was a great experience in part simply for the sheer size of it, it is immense, but they haven't forgotten the little details, o e night my boyfriend and I watched the sun go down on a little wooden look out post we found as we were walking by, I thought it was a lovely touch, it cannot be denied the amount of detail is exceptional with every different bar, club and restuarant having a completely different style with a lot of effort put in to authenticate and make it feel less like a giant complex and more like individual places.
Lastly be warned if you are looking for a relatively noise free holiday think again, there are huge numbers of young children at the resort as you would expect, and they are forever crying, shouting and wandering erratically at all times, adults also could push in lines and be rude, but of course to a lesser extend, people on here have said the Germans and Russians were rude when they visited and it is true they make up the majority of guests but it was certainly the staff who were ruder than the guests. Also there is a family of semi feral cats and kittens living on the complex, I personally love cats but they are very skinny so I can't imagine they are really being looked after, it also may be unpleasant for some people to have semi feral cats around the place, but saying this I wouldn't want them to be removed as they would probably be put down, but just a warning to those who don't like cats.
All in all it was a good holiday, the supermarket was handy and having a kitchen meant we could cook for ourselves which saved us money especially with only being on a b+b board basis, and I bought some lovely things from the souvenir end of the supermarket, my only regret is that I didn't do more that the hotel has to offer. It's definitely better than anywhere around and the views are to die for, it was a good experience, that was worth the long bus journey, and although I probably won't go there again, I will look back fondly on the memories.

1 Thank Olivia M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Once you there ?! You wish to return !
Both myself and my wife stayed at Gold City for 10 days. The hotel was exactly how we had read on the reviews. The location is a couple of hours from the main Antalya airport.
The hotel provided a free shuttle to the beach and to the city.
We booked a couple of excursions .Make sure you go all inclusive, this is definitely worth every penny.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bledar J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kargicak
SENTIDO Gold Island
#6 of 368 in Alanya
Diamond Hill Resort & Spa
Diamond Hill Resort & Spa
#18 of 368 in Alanya

Been to Goldcity Tourism Complex? Share your experiences!