“My second visit - loved it all over again”
Review of Undara Experience

Undara Experience
Darwin, Australia
“My second visit - loved it all over again”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is my second visit -I was bringing my daughter this time, to share with her the tranquility of undara. This time, we stayed in a railway carriage, which, though very small was comfortable. We had a twin room, and they do not have en-suite facilities (and the toilet and bathroom are quite a walk away -for an older person like me, this can be an issue). There is also no tea/coffee making facility, though there is free tea and coffee available at the bar which is just a short walk. We were there in the 'Green Season' so the available tours were reduced. My daughter did both tours that were available and she enjoyed them both. Steve was the tour guide - and she said he was excellent and very knowledgeable. We also had all our meals there too, and we certainly didn't go hungry. All in all, we had a great stay, thanks to the all the staff there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Sydney
Reviewed 26 April 2014

As much as I enjoyed staying in the outback and the exploring the well worth visiting lava tubes, I'm sorry but paying $200 for a basic tent without a private bathroom left a big bad taste in my mouth. And why with all that space did the tents have to be virtually on top of one another? I could hear my neighbours snoring all night long and kids running around my tent from dawn! I thought I'd awoken in an expensive refugee camp! The over priced tag also applies to the restaurant and bar. I really think the park should reconsider it's pricing. By international standards they are charging 5 star prices for a 3 star service.
One thing the park doesn't need to review is the staff. Brilliant service with a dry outback sense of humour never fails. The pool was good too. Sure I'd visit again but, next time will bring my own tent.

Room Tip: Bring your own tent and food.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sydneysider70
Cairns
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed in a carriage with our two children, it is small but it's very comfortable and clean. The Sunset Tour was fabulous and the Active tour was excellent, we had Steve for both tours and he is a real credit to Undara, very knowledgeable and a great sense of humour.. Next visit will be for the Rock and Blues Festival!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Innisfail, Australia
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed in a swag-tent (which I was initially skeptical about booking as I didn't know what to expect). These are permanent canvas structures, built one step up off the ground. Even though there was only two of us, we chose to book the quad-tent as it has two tepee-shaped tents with a practical covered timber deck in between with a small table/chairs, small fridge, sink, kitchen bench/shelves, electric lighting and a powerpoint (to recharge camera batteries, phones, etc). The tent itself had two comfortable single beds in each tent (bring your own linen or rent it), electric lighting, heaps of ventilation that you can open/close and insect screens.
For those that camp, or book the swag-tents without the deck, or stay in the railway carriages, there is a large, covered, central, communal meeting/cooking area with pots/pans, large tables and a large fridge.
The pool area is beautiful, large and clean with a real resort feel.
The wildlife is a highlight - there are kangaroos hopping around (or just lazing around) the grounds everywhere. There are also many birds that visit the site, along with parrots drinking at the windmill and kookaburras to wake you up in the morning.
We did a couple of the shorter walking tracks that led to amazing views overlooking the area, but for the fitter people there are many other longer tracks that would be spectacular to do at sunrise/sunset.
Our reason for visiting was for the famous Opera in the Outback - held out in the open, under the stars. I've never been to an opera, I don't do opera, but this was an AMAZING experience and I plan to go back for this every year!
A tour of the Undara Lava Tubes is a must - they are breathtaking!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Grace N
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We were impressed with the campground and the wonderful wildlife in the area. The lava tubes were interesting but were far too over priced to be worth ones while. The tour guide was knowledgable and polite, but really should know when to put the breaks on the divorce jokes (particularly when leading a group of couples). Aside from the lava tubes, there was very little to do in the area. The landscape however lead to scenic bush walking.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Organic_Poicephalus
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Thank you to Kane and Steve for making our short visit so memorable. Friendly service; a can do attitude and an informative tour through the Lava Tubes. Wonderful. We are planning to revisit - but for a longer period - for the Country Rock and Blues festival next year. You were very accommodating with placing our Big Rig in an area giving easy access to the facilities - thank you. Lynore and Peter

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We drove up to undara from townsville for a two night stay, as a package deal with the sunset and archway tours, 3 course dinner and camp breakfast all inculsive. We added on an extra night when we booked.

Firstly yes it is a little expensive if you were to pay for everything seperatly but the package deal was pretty good value. The sunset tour with the bubbly and cheese platter was lovely, our guide was funny and very informative. Dinner was a choice of any entree, main and desert from the menu all of which were good sized portions and tasted fantastic. They had run out of a few things on the menu but being the end of a long weekend we've come to expect that and it made no difference to us. The campfire experience after dinner was a talk on the local wildlife, again very informative and light hearted.
Day two we did the archway tour, a 2hr guided walk along raised platforms above the floor of 3 sections of the tubes, there are some stairs and i would suggest taking your own torch/headlight. Lots of great photo opportunities and an excellent guide. After the tour we headed out on one of the well marked walking trails around the lodge. We ended up doing 3 of the walks, starting with the bluff then onto atkinsons lookout and the heritage hut. You'll need good comfy shoes, hat, water and your camera. We were back for lunch and afterwards we spent the afternoon in the pool talking with other travellers and chilling out. We had dinner in the restaraunt and the campfire activity was an sing-along. I'm not one for singing, but it was a good night.

Our tent was acceptable. It needed 3 things, a fan, a power point and a double bed. All safari tents only have single beds which i found quite crazy, considering the amount of couples who were staying in them.....? And if you want your own kitchen, you need to book a fimily tent. On the up side, the bathrooms were very well set-up with an lockable ensuite type arrangment, so you have a shower, toilet, vanity and mirror all to your-self. Always a bonus in my books.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Neata54

Been to Undara Experience? Share your experiences!