“2nd Visit - LOVE this place!”
Review of Undara Experience

Undara Experience
Innisfail, Australia
“2nd Visit - LOVE this place!”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My friend and I stayed at Undara Lodge for two nights for the Outback Rock & Blues Festival, this time. Due to overbooking, we were upgraded from a Quad Tent to two twin Railway Carriages. Although the rooms are comfortable, they are very small and expensive considering you only have two beds, one powerpoint, one fan and not much else. We were extremely pleased to have one room each as there would not have been sufficient room for our two suitcases. There are four rooms per carriage and the end rooms contain en-suites. The two middle rooms have no en-suite but there are plenty of amenities blocks close to each carriage. Personally, we prefer the Quad Tents, but it is a novelty to stay in an old railway carriage, and I think that is what you pay for.
We did not have the bush breakfast but did dine in the restaurant one evening. The meals are simple and expensive but contain good fresh quality products. The restaurant also has complimentary tea/coffee available all day.
We did three walks over the three days - Atkinson's Lookout - Basalt Ridge via the Swamp Track returning to the lodge via Bluff's Rock - Kalkani Crater. I am overweight and not super-fit, and I thoroughly enjoyed all three tracks.
What I enjoy about Undara Lodge the most is that no matter how many people are there (200 for the festival), nothing is ever over-crowded and you feel like you are there with only the few people that you pass on the walking tracks.
I can't wait for our next visit later this year - for Opera in the Outback!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Grace N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is my second visit -I was bringing my daughter this time, to share with her the tranquility of undara. This time, we stayed in a railway carriage, which, though very small was comfortable. We had a twin room, and they do not have en-suite facilities (and the toilet and bathroom are quite a walk away -for an older person like me, this can be an issue). There is also no tea/coffee making facility, though there is free tea and coffee available at the bar which is just a short walk. We were there in the 'Green Season' so the available tours were reduced. My daughter did both tours that were available and she enjoyed them both. Steve was the tour guide - and she said he was excellent and very knowledgeable. We also had all our meals there too, and we certainly didn't go hungry. All in all, we had a great stay, thanks to the all the staff there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 26 April 2014

As much as I enjoyed staying in the outback and the exploring the well worth visiting lava tubes, I'm sorry but paying $200 for a basic tent without a private bathroom left a big bad taste in my mouth. And why with all that space did the tents have to be virtually on top of one another? I could hear my neighbours snoring all night long and kids running around my tent from dawn! I thought I'd awoken in an expensive refugee camp! The over priced tag also applies to the restaurant and bar. I really think the park should reconsider it's pricing. By international standards they are charging 5 star prices for a 3 star service.
One thing the park doesn't need to review is the staff. Brilliant service with a dry outback sense of humour never fails. The pool was good too. Sure I'd visit again but, next time will bring my own tent.

Room Tip: Bring your own tent and food.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sydneysider70
Cairns
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed in a carriage with our two children, it is small but it's very comfortable and clean. The Sunset Tour was fabulous and the Active tour was excellent, we had Steve for both tours and he is a real credit to Undara, very knowledgeable and a great sense of humour.. Next visit will be for the Rock and Blues Festival!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Innisfail, Australia
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed in a swag-tent (which I was initially skeptical about booking as I didn't know what to expect). These are permanent canvas structures, built one step up off the ground. Even though there was only two of us, we chose to book the quad-tent as it has two tepee-shaped tents with a practical covered timber deck in between with a small table/chairs, small fridge, sink, kitchen bench/shelves, electric lighting and a powerpoint (to recharge camera batteries, phones, etc). The tent itself had two comfortable single beds in each tent (bring your own linen or rent it), electric lighting, heaps of ventilation that you can open/close and insect screens.
For those that camp, or book the swag-tents without the deck, or stay in the railway carriages, there is a large, covered, central, communal meeting/cooking area with pots/pans, large tables and a large fridge.
The pool area is beautiful, large and clean with a real resort feel.
The wildlife is a highlight - there are kangaroos hopping around (or just lazing around) the grounds everywhere. There are also many birds that visit the site, along with parrots drinking at the windmill and kookaburras to wake you up in the morning.
We did a couple of the shorter walking tracks that led to amazing views overlooking the area, but for the fitter people there are many other longer tracks that would be spectacular to do at sunrise/sunset.
Our reason for visiting was for the famous Opera in the Outback - held out in the open, under the stars. I've never been to an opera, I don't do opera, but this was an AMAZING experience and I plan to go back for this every year!
A tour of the Undara Lava Tubes is a must - they are breathtaking!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Grace N
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We were impressed with the campground and the wonderful wildlife in the area. The lava tubes were interesting but were far too over priced to be worth ones while. The tour guide was knowledgable and polite, but really should know when to put the breaks on the divorce jokes (particularly when leading a group of couples). Aside from the lava tubes, there was very little to do in the area. The landscape however lead to scenic bush walking.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Organic_Poicephalus
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Thank you to Kane and Steve for making our short visit so memorable. Friendly service; a can do attitude and an informative tour through the Lava Tubes. Wonderful. We are planning to revisit - but for a longer period - for the Country Rock and Blues festival next year. You were very accommodating with placing our Big Rig in an area giving easy access to the facilities - thank you. Lynore and Peter

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to Undara Experience? Share your experiences!