“Huge variety of accommodation”
Review of Potters Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hopton on Sea
Potters Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hopton on Sea
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Where do I start? I want to give a fair assessment and I realise that Potters is more to some than others. Plus the accommodation varies enormously which will be reflected in my review.
For me personally my stay was nowhere near a 5 star stay. I stayed in a “Bungalow plus”.
The room was small with a standard 4 and a half feet double bed (little room for bigger).
It had a small bathroom a fridge and a couple of chairs. It was reasonably modern but still reminiscent of the “Hi De Hi” chalets form years ago. Plus it was quite a trek (especially in the rain and winds) to the facilities.
If you like sport then there is a lot to choose from.
The food was ok. The drinks were OK.
The entertainment was good.
The staff were lovely, always a smile and a “hello”.
I have seen the photos of some of the rooms in the hotel and they seem much nicer and all under one roof, so maybe a 4 star rating there, but I just cannot be dishonest and give more than 3 stars from my perspective.
Would I stay there again?
Probably, but never in a chalet.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a bungalow
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AllanNorwich

Reviewed 20 October 2013

What a wonderful place to take a break. Potters should be very proud of their achievements so far as the whole experience exceeded our expectations. From the moment we stepped into Reception to book in to the moment we departed we felt as though we were members of one big family. The staff were always smiling, very willing to serve and nothing was too much trouble. Our bungalows were quite adequate for our short stay of 4 nights. They were clean, nicely decorated and beautifully warm. The beds were very comfortable with mattresses twice the standard of many hotels we have previously stayed in. It was difficult to choose which activity to try first. Badminton, Table Tennis, Archery, Shooting, Curling, Keep Fit, Dancing, Ten Pin Bowling, Golf or Swimming. Bowls was one of the reasons for our visit but as we did not enter any competitions we found it difficult to get a game, as most rinks were pre-booked. On the plus side we were fortunate enough to bowl on the International Arena. There is also a “quiet lounge” to sit and read if you wish. If the weather is good you could also take a walk along the promenade and watch the waves rolling or the fishermen casting a line or two. Take at least two sizes of clothes with you for your stay, as you will not be disappointed with the food. It is superb. Breakfast choice is good with full English or cereals, juices and plenty of fruit. Lunch is at least 3 choices and 3 courses, Dinner again 3 or more choices and 3 courses. Of course if you are still hungry around midnight there is a supper on offer. As we are early to bed and early risers, unfortunately we did not see any of the shows in the theatre room as we thought they started too late at around 9.45 pm. We gathered from other guests that the shows were exceptionally good. We are looking forward to our next visit hopefully next year.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

My wife and I went to Potters for a ladies festival Friday to Sunday lunch. This is the second time we have been and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The high standard of the evening entertainment was really impressive, just like west end stage shows. We stayed in the hotel part and our room was massive, a 3 piece suite, huge tele and double sinks in the bathroom. Magic! The only 2 problems that we had were firstly most of us are real ale drinkers and there is only 1 bar that had it and then only for a short time on the Friday night??? bit puzzling that as one would think that a big resort like Potters could have sorted that out. They do have a very good selection of excellent bottle ales so all was not lost. The other problem that we found was that the music was far to loud. This was OK in the large Atlas theatre but in the small terrace bar it was deafening, my beer glass was vibrating in time to the highly amplified music. The food was pretty good with a reasonable variety except for the vegetarian options which were pretty limited. The service was very quick once the waitress had taken our orders. It is 3 full meals a day with added burgers around 10ish in the evening plus a late curry or chilli around 12ish. It is supposed to be a 5 star but I would put it at just about 4 & not as nice as Warners, two of which are just down the road. Not enough staff in the bars and would have liked to see more daytime entertainment. Mark Brewer the entertainment manager is brilliant, had us all in stitches.

Room Tip: The hotel deluxe rooms are great and not as great amount more as I expected. Rooms away from the com...
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Potters, we should have know by the name, that this was not going to be our sort of place.
The reason we booked was to see the international super star diva Jane Mc Donald. (not proud)
We should have known, by the question we were asked when we booked. (do you have any mobility issues)
We arrived at 2.00pm and had to wait in line for 20 mins to check in, to be told that our room would not be ready until 4.30pm, but that we could go and use all of the facilities. You could prebook an early check in, but not on the day.
We had difficulty in finding somewhere to sit, as every one else was waiting for a room too. Most of the facilities seemed to consist of indoor bowls, so we eventually found somewhere to sit in a cold conservatory and sat there and waited. It did have wifi.
When we got to our room which was a premiere deluxe, it was huge with very little furniture in it, so looked strange and it was also in need of a refurb. We also found to our dismay that there was no wifi in the room, which is appalling for this day and age.
We were told that dinner was at 6.30 and that the show started at 9.30. When we got to the restaurant ( huge barn of a place) we had to wait in line for 15 minutes to get in.
The food was mediocre but the service was rushed and unattentive, with plates of food being dropped all over the place. I am tea total, but thought that I had to have a drink to get me through the evening.
We had our 5 course meal in 50 minutes and went into the concert hall. We found a free seat, as the British (not German) octogenarians had been in and put their cardigans over all of the front seats.
We sat down to wait for the Diva, to be greeted by eyes down and had to sit through thirty mins of bingo followed by a 60's disco. ( can you understand my hell) Luckily Miss McD was amazing, so did make up for what we had to go through to see her.
Breakfast was until 9.30 and we had to be out of our room by 10.00, so luckily we were out and on the road early.
Now for most of the guests that were there, it was an amazing place, but it was like a retirement home with entertainment. How old am I, I hear you ask. I am 54 so no spring chicken and I felt the youngest by a good 20 years.
I would not return even if Barbara Streisand was the star turn and will remember and shudder thinking about it until I am in a retirement home.

15  Thank men4sail
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Just got back from potters (been going for 27 years) as per usual the food , entertainment , rooms staff ,and all of the sports facilities are second to none . BUT this year I found all the bars that were open were lacking a few more extra hands . I know this was a all inclusive weekend , but I have been on a few of these weekends before and found there were adequate bar staff . But this year not enough and people waiting for up to 15 minutes to be served and most of the bar areas congested . I know potters pride there selves on a first class service . But this time I felt they let themselves down .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

A group of old school friends met up for a reunion at Potters recently and we had a brilliant time. Could not fault anything really. We were all particularly impressed by the very high standard of the evening entertainment. The stage shows were of west end quality. I will definitely be revisiting in the near future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This was our first visit to Potters for a friends 50th Birthday. We opted to stay in the hotel, huge room with comfy kingsize bed. The room was a little dated I won't rate the room as 5* more a good 3* . We were in a all inclusive package which was good value if you like a drink. The entertainment was very good. The food however I felt was a let down I can appreciate cooking for large amount of people is demanding, but the restaurant managers need to inspect what is being served. Chicken fajitas were disgusting we all complained, quality of the meat was poor, overlooked veg, also the deserts seemed cheap and cheerful, food in my opinion a disappointment . We would like to return, but would like to see improvements in the kitchen please

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
#5 of 10 in Lowestoft
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
#1 of 1 in Coltishall

Been to Potters Resort? Share your experiences!