“XMAS at Potters”
Review of Potters Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hopton on Sea
Potters Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hopton on Sea
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This was the third year in a row, what can I say other than brilliant. I would recommend this place to anyone a great experience once again. Thanks to all porters staff including the potters theatre company great shows to keep you entertained.

1  Thank Chris C

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I had a week at Potters in summer 2013 with my Mum. We stayed in a bungalow and had a very relaxing time. My second visit was in December 2013, this time with my Husband and we stayed in one of the penthouse suites. I enjoyed both holidays in different ways and believe Potters is a resort where there is something for everyone. It doesn't matter whether you are young,old, single or with a partner or family. The staff are all very friendly and will help to accommodate your needs.
I would definitely book this resort again especially a penthouse as the accommodation was exceptional. There is plenty going on for those who want to take part but no one is pressured into anything. Apart from 2 activities (clay shooting and ten pin bowling) all activities are included and provide interludes of entertainment without being too energetic.
Food also offers a great choice even for he most fussy of eaters.
Potters offers midweek, weekends and even one night bookings for special occasions so if you are not sure it's for you try a short break instead.

Room Tip: Hotel room accommodation especially penthouses are exceptional value
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I went to Potters for the Christmas week as a single mum with my 9 year old daughter. It was fabulous and 5 star all the way. We upgraded to a bungalow plus, but having stayed in the hotel in the summer, I found it was a lot smaller (only because the hotel rooms are large) but it was cosy and comfortable. The food was really fantastic, considering the amount of people they were catering for, it was fresh and arrived hot at meal times, hardly any waiting around, the waiters and all the staff were helpful and friendly (thank you to Adam who waited our table everyday, my daughter thought he was fab). The evening shows were outstanding, akin to watching a West End show and the general atmosphere was very friendly and festive (especially Christmas Eve, I don't think I have had a better one) and my daughter and I made lots of friends with adults and children alike. The Potters staff couldn't do enough for you, and everything that was organised was fun. My only niggle would be that I requested that we were put on or next to a table that had a child or children as you keep the same table for meals the whole time you are there. We were put on a table with two elderly couples (who were lovely by the way) but not much fun for my daughter during meal times. There were plenty of children around and I wondered why didn't make an effort to do it, as I was assured at the time of booking they would take that into account. Still didn’t spoil our enjoyment of a truly terrific Christmas break – I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I have stayed in both hotel and bungalow, but I did prefer the hotel as it was a lot bigger and 5 st...
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Afraid this this will be lengthy, however concise I try to be it never works!

We stayed as a group of 14 ranging in age from 8 months to 81 for the 2 day Family Fireworks Weekend. Potters has some very good things going for it but there were enough things I didn’t like so much to make me 50/50 about returning.

Firstly the whole complex is very clean and well maintained. One thing that was noticeable was the excellent toilet facilities, these all have automatic doors which probably help limit infections such as norovirus in the winter months with a more susceptible clientele.

We had a family suite which was excellent, separate sleeping area for the kids with their own TV and Xbox. There was a very dusty shelf in the storage area and a wobbly loo seat but that aside this was proper 4 Star accommodation.

The swimming pool, though not spectacular, was fine, very clean, good water and air temperature, friendly staff and changing areas much better than in a usual holiday camp. The one person in our party who used the gym said it was very good as well.

There were lots of activities, both my kids (DD 11 and DS 4) loved the inflatable assault course. My daughter also did the giant swing, climbing wall, crazy golf. I played 9 holes on the pitch and putt (3 over!) which was OK considering the time of year and weather. My son used the play bus, he seemed to enjoy it but as it was outside it was very cold.

So , so far, all positive. What was I less keen on?

The food! Maybe the head chef was away for the weekend but how anyone can say the food is great is beyond me. It is a pretty good effort considering the numbers of people they serve in fairly short sittings but it is far from great. Trout was acceptable but bland, cod full of big bones and a potato and parsnip gratin 100% inedible. Most starters and desserts were OK but nothing special. To be fair, the salad bar , when stocked, was very tasty, nice ham, salmon and prawns etc. Kids options, usual kids slop, pasta awful! I was especially looking forward to kippers at breakfast as I love them but my wife hates the smell, but they were the cheapest of the cheapest and not very nice. Many will think this unfair but I thought it was about Harvester standard.

The entertainment. There is no denying the quality of the Potters Theatre Company, they are indeed very good. I think “West End” Standard is a bit of an exaggeration but they are not far off. The issue was that for a “Family” weekend the two main shows were very boring for younger guests. London‘s Calling was good but only two or three songs from the last decade. My daughter loves music but knew very few of the numbers. The Musicals again was very well performed but at least a third, if not more, was Les Mis. That’s fine if you like Les Mis, I don’t hate it but it is undeniably dull. So great shows, great performance but little there for younger guests or people who don't like Les Mis :-) Maybe they could tweak the shows a little during family breaks.

The ” famous” Mark Brewer was a huge let down for all our party. I like almost all comedy and watch a lot of it, but noticed none from Mark or the team. The “skits” they did, especially the Titanic one could be videoed and sold as a cure for insomnia. His language was totally not acceptable for a family audience ( I’m no fuddy duddy it would have been fine for adult only ). He was also messing around during the bingo calling one night, might not seem a big deal but when there is over £700 at stake you really don’t want to miss a number due to this. I realise that that sounds like a character assassination, it’s not meant to be, just our feelings. To be balanced it was my daughter’s birthday at the time and Mark was very nice to her, had her on stage twice and remembered her through the rest of the break which was very good of him. Maybe he was having an off weekend? If we do ever go again, I will keep an open mind and be prepared to change my mind.

A plus for the entertainment team was the entertainment for smaller kids. My wife took my son one night and said it was very good and he had a great time. He even won one of the games. At the same time my daughter was in Busby’s Basement doing nail art, and I was stuck in the Atlas theatre jealously guarding our table and unable to get up and go to the bar! So great things for the kids to do early evening but is did split us all up.

The other main issue, and it’s an observation, not a complaint is that it is all a bit regimented. Many of the activities only run for a couple of hours and others need to be booked. To fit all this in with the short meal sittings made it feel like we were always working to a timetable. In fairness this is probably because we were on a two day break and there was so much to do. Maybe if on a four day or even a week break there would not be such a rush to fit everything in. Perhaps a less formal , longer running, lunchtime food option might be an idea.

So in summary, good staff, very clean, hotel room excellent, food average, activities good but time bound, entertainment good but needs a few “tweaks” to be a more inclusive family product on family breaks.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank AMAEEssex
Reviewed 8 January 2014

As a group we have been several times,but I have been many more times to spring ball with all my lady friends.
The very big upset,and this has happened twice before when we were told it was a one off was the disgusting smell near the doors at the side of the large bar in the ballroom,we reported it as did other people and we're told several different reasons eg someone had been sick,it was the drain in the toilet,it was the dishwasher,it was really bad all our drinks started tasting like it,and it made my husband and I felt I'll and had to go back to our chalet before 12,,unheard of and such a shame after such a lovely meal etc and spending so much money,if it had not happened before we could believe it was a one off but this is not the case.My husband and other men in the group are qualified plumbers and believe it must be a major problem not to have been repaired.And we could not move then!!! As was suggested as it was packed and I am disabled and could not walk far,I was so very,very,upset as I had booked and organized it,as it stands I cannot as I have done for years recommend Potters again or return,what a shame after many fun times.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank heardie
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed at Potters in one of the penthouse suites, with adjoining room for the grandchildren , it was so spacious excellent decor and amazing facilities, the staff are a credit to Potters especially our waitress Tracey who was so welcoming and nothing was to much trouble even our coffee would be waiting in the morning, the shows are better than if we had gone to the theatre in London, the entertainment throughout the stay was excellent , fireworks New Year's Eve was great, we really felt like we were at home was made so welcome. And New Year's Eve well you could not get a better atmosphere anywhere the party was electric will definitely be back next new year.
Well done Potters you are all amazing .

Room Tip: Stay in the hotel any room but can recommend penthouse suites
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The food was excellent and such a good variety of meals. The dining room staff were efficient and very cheerful, giving a very pleasant atmosphere.
All the staff at Potters are excellent at what they do and create an extremely friendly environment . The complex is clean and well laid out, the Christmas decorations made the whole place feel friendly and lively
All the sports facilities and entertainment are the best that I have ever experienced, and I have been to quite a few other companies. Thank you Potters for making my Christmas such a happy time

Room Tip: Premier and Standard rooms are excellent would pick either
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopton on Sea
#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Travelodge Lowestoft Hotel
Travelodge Lowestoft Hotel
#5 of 10 in Lowestoft

Been to Potters Resort? Share your experiences!