“Musical Rooms!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Musical Rooms!”
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at Nidd Hall whilst taking our first and last coach holiday! After contacting the coach company regarding the grade of room we were allocated, I was told that the last Signature Room was available for an extra £94.00. This was Room 75 and had a nice patio. When we arrived the coach was met by a member of the reception staff who handed out packs containing details of the allocated rooms. We were allocated Room 137. When I mentioned that we should be in Room 75, I was told rather brusquely that I should go to the reception desk. We went there to find that the usual chaos reigned, with many people queuing up to ask about their rooms, including a lady who had no idea why she was there except to say that she thought she had better, as everyone else was there! I explained that I had been allocated Room 75 with a patio and asked if Room 137 had the same. A similar brusque reply told me that it didn’t as it was on the 2nd floor and I was asked why I thought I would be in Room 75. I explained the reason and after a discussion between the staff, I was eventually allocated Room 71, which was also on the ground floor with a patio.

The following morning I noticed that the floor tiles in the bathroom were coming away and several could actually be lifted as water was pooling. Before we left for the day I told reception who said that they would sort it out. Upon our return, nothing seemed to have been done, so I had to contact reception again. A maintenance man arrived and removed all our items from the bathroom, took the bath and toilet panels off, before telling us we would have to change rooms. A telephone call advised us that we would be in Room 11 the Farndale Suite, in the main house on the 1st floor. This had a much larger bedroom with a sofa, and also a much larger bathroom. We were pleased with the room but rather upset that we had to pack and unpack our items and did not have a patio.

The evening meals in the restaurant were extremely good with the portions not over facing. At breakfast I had the worst Scrambled Eggs I have ever had, hard and cold! Toast was the hotels usual white bread waved at a toaster to make warm white bread! The waiting staff were all efficient and friendly. Very few staff in the hotel however, acknowledged us or any of the other guests.

From looking at the true price of our room, approximately £300 a night Dinner Bed and Breakfast, I think that it is overpriced, unless guests take full advantage of the many leisure activities. Internet Access was available at £1.00 for 20 minutes. In this day and age free WiFi would be more appropriate. We did however enjoy our stay but would not return.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin F
juliebracken, Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Nidd Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Dear guests,

Thank you for your comments on trip advisor I was pleased that you enjoyed your short break apart from the points you raised and I am sorry that you were disapointed although glad that the team were able to give you a complimentary up grade.

Please be assured that I have spoken to the Leadership Team to ensure that our high standards are met and changes can be made.

I do hope that you re consider to visit us again in the future so that we can ensure that you have a great time.

Julie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Have Just returned from a week at this hotel and while the hotel itself was really nice and the staff were friendly, a few things let it down. We upgraded to a Historic room, which was a waste of money. It was really small, with no room to move and I mean no room. The end of the bed was about 2ft from the wall. I regularly stay at Warners and usally get a standard room or chalet which has always been great. So was very disappointed when I arrived and saw this room. The room was dusty, tea stains on the wall and it was very difficult to open the old wooden windows, so the room was really hot. The food selection was not great, with chicken only being on the menu twice in seven days, great if you like beef or lamb. The veg had lots of pepper on but when we asked for seperate veg this was provided. The swimming pool area was nice but the changing rooms were basic and not very clean, lots of hair on the floor. Also no free Wfi which is offfered at other Warner hotels. A good stay and lots to do in the area but don't think I would return to the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Gadget23
Preston
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I have never in my life been to an establishment like this one. The place was spotless, the food was totally unsuitable for anyone just starting a diet, while the staff were unfailingly kind, cheerful and helpful. A considerable amount of money has been spent on facilities for the comfort of guests and the theatre is equiped to a very high standard.

It is the theatre though, that is the organised inconsideration. My hearing is not of the finest, but even I found the volume level of the in-house band, painful to listen to. People seemed to be intimidated by the loudness of the speakers on the dance floor and it was possible that some folks preferred to sit dances out, rather dance under them. The heavy-handed noise output was not solely confined to the band though, but they were the main offenders.

The young entertainment team worked their little socks off to try and keep the guests entertained and in general terms, they suceeded. They had a lot to do and consequently, their talent appeared to be spread rather thinly because of the variety of calls to entertain. On the Monday (or it may have been Tuesday) evening, there was a cabaret artist whose jokes, apart from being a little smutty, were more suited to a working mens club than a 4* hotel.

My wife and I were very impressed with the hotel and the staff and we will certainly be considering another Warner Hotel in the future. However, we will most certainly have to don our thinking caps, if one of us mentions Nidd Hall.

Room Tip: Go for Signature room as a minimum booking level.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gavioli
juliebracken, Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Nidd Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
Dear Guests,

Great to read that you enjoyed your break at Nidd Hall Hotel and thank you for you praise for the facilities and team as it is really appreciated and this will be passed on to them.

Please be assured that I have taken on board your comments with regards to the noise levels in the Theatre and this has been addressed along with the cabaret artist in regards to the smutty jokes.

Again once again thank you for you feedback and I do hope to welcome you back to us in the future

Kind regards

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2011

My wife and I have just returned from our 50th visit to Nidd Hall Hotel - need I say more?
except to say 'Thank you' to ALL the staff, present and past, who have made our various holidays at Nidd absolutly great. We have visited on our own and also with other couples and have always had great fun. A previous reviewer made a judgement after only a one night stay, is that really fair? All the staff are most obliging and friendly and the various activities put on by the Nidd Hall Players are always well attended and enjoyed. The resident band 'Freeway' and Barbara are great to dance to or just relax and listen to the great vocals.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LordNidd
Dear Lord and Lady Nidd,

Wonderful to read that you have had another fantastic break with us at Nidd Hall Hotel, I have passed all your comments on to the team who are all delighted that you find them all friendly and helpful.

We cannot wait to welcome you back

South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2011

We have just returned from an overnight stay at Nidd Hall, ALL staff and facilities were of top quality but I must admit to being a little disappointed at the lack of any atmosphere. The entertainment staff tried their very best to no avail. Everything from the spotlessly clean rooms to the gorgeous food was top notch but it is lacking in personality. If you want SILENCE and FORMALITY then this is the hotel for you but if you want to be more at ease and able to enjoy yourself then I would steer clear. It reminded me of a cruise on land or a holiday camp / old peoples home. I will commend the staff for being able to put up with working in such a strangulating atmosphere and wish them good luck for the future.
PS I think 50p in the pool for a towel is the hight of insult !!! I am NOT a thief and would not lower myself to steal one of your towels, some people may but I don't see why everyone should be tarred with the same brush.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank cathdavid
juliebracken, Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Nidd Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments, may I apologise sincerely for any disappointment that you encountered whilst on your short break with us. I was sorry to learn that you were unhappy with the ambience during your stay.

Nidd Hall Hotel prides it self on guest service and this is the first comments that I have seen that states that the hotel is silent and formal as all our team help to create a great experience for our guests. Please be assured that I have spoken to the Leadership Team to ensure that our high standards are met and with regards to the Leisure club towels.

Julie Bracken
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2011

We have just returned from a five day break at Nidd Hall. We have been to all of Warners places in England but Nidd Hall just had something special. Every thing about the break was very good. The staff were all so friendly, there was a good choice of food and the service was good The entertainment was good (although we thought that the audience were not as appreciative as they might have been which was a shame) The leisure facilities were second to none. The pool was a really good length and every where was spotlessly clean. We will certainly being paying another visit in the near future.
Mr and Mrs Denny

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Mr and Mrs Denny,

Thank you for you fabulous comments which I have passed to all the team members at Nidd Hall Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Devon
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Have just returned from a 4 night break at Nidd Hall. We had a lovely room in the courtyard and it was spotless. I loved the leisure centre - the size of the pool was one of the largest I have seen in a hotel and it was never crowded. We thoroughly enjoyed the entertainmnet, particularly the Songs from the Shows and the Abba tribute evenings. The entertainment team worked really hard to get people dancing, although there was rather too much sequence dancing for our taste!

We had a nice table in the restaurnat and our waiter (who was new) was excellent. Our one grumble was the standard of the food on some occasions. Pork was the only carvery option on 2 nights and the vegetables at the carvery were covered in pepper. As my brother in law cannot eat pepper he was restricted in what he could choose. . He did complain, but seemed to receive little sympathy. Rather than have pork on the second occasion, my sister and I opted for the chicken thighs. When they came to the table, we virtually needed a magnifying glass to see them! I have never seen such small chicken thighs! A couple of mouthfuls and they were gone! However we did have some lovely sweets and the breakfasts were excellent, but overall we were disappointed with the food.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank GinaDevon
Hi,

Thank you for sharing your feedback here on Trip Advisor with regard to your short break at Nidd Hall Hotel.

I was pleased that you enjoyed your break especially the Leisure pool and entertainment but I was sorry to learn that you were dissapointed with some carvery items covered in pepper and small but delicious thighs.

Please be assured that I have spoken to the Head Chef to ensure our menu is more varied and that our high standards are met.

Once again I thank you as it is through constructive feedback like this that we may strive to further improve our service standards, and hope earnestly to welcome you back to Nidd Hall Hotel in the future.

Julie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nidd
Rudding Park Hotel
The Majestic Hotel
The Majestic Hotel
#17 of 30 in Harrogate
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,652 reviews

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Nidd Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!