“Afternoon tea - a let down!”

Warner Leisure Hotels Nidd Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nidd
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Visited with family for celebratory afternoon tea. Beautiful Spring day, beautiful setting and excellent well maintained grounds....

...Sadly the edge was taken off the rest of our visit by continued poor service. The staff were pleasant enough but they seemed unable to communicate effectively with each other or with us.

They managed a Monty Pythonesque routine over the type of sparkly stuff that could/should be served and which glasses to use ... and even threw in a short waitering spat to complete the routine!

Tea selection was limited. The food was well presented and of an adequate standard.

I left feeling that I had paid for a gold plated service but Nidd Hall had fallen short of the mark.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gary K
Nidd W, Guest Relations Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Nidd Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Hello,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor with regards to your Afternoon Tea at the Hotel.

I was sorry to learn about your disappointment with the service which marred your experience. It is our aim to continually improve our service standards and to give our Guests the best possible experience and again I am sorry that you were disappointed.

We monitor all feedback from our guests and the management team will always try to resolve any guests concerns at the time. I have passed your comments to the Manager and his team to see what action can be taken as your comments are really important to us as we are making changes to benefit all our customers.

Guest Service Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,461)

Reviewed 16 April 2014

If you are looking for a hotel to stay in for a special occasion I would not choose Nidd Hall.

The food is only average and of poor quality in the restaurant or should I say Café which caters for approximately 300 people per meal. The large numbers may account for the problem. The menu reads well in the expensive dinning room but unfortunately the food doesn’t live up to expectation. For example breakfast is poor quality, cereals, bacon, sausages and rubbery scrambled eggs which says it all. Some of the staff are really friendly and helpful while others are the very opposite. We celebrated a special birthday which was ruined firstly by reception not passing on this information to the dining room as requested, secondly by the fact the main course had to be returned,thirdly the desert was tasteless and finally this fantastic meal took nearly 3 hours to serve.

The setting for the hotel is beautiful and the grounds are well kept, the facilities are plentiful and the evening entertainment is very good. The room was great and the bed was so comfortable. Our waiter was excellent and couldn't have been more efficient. For the price Warner’s charge for this “experience” the food should compliment the rest of the hotel’s high standards and some of the staff need a refresher course in how to treat guests properly and not take them for granted.

This was our first time to visit a Warner hotel and if the others are as big as this I question what their food and service is like?

Room Tip: Rooms in the court yard are spacious.
5  Thank Charlotte K

Hello,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor with regards to your short break . I was delighted to read that you found the setting for the hotel was beautiful and the grounds were well kept, the facilities were plentiful and the evening entertainment was very good. It was lovely to read that your room was great and the bed was so comfortable, coupled with a waiter that was excellent and couldn't have been more efficient.

I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed as information was not passed on which spoiled a birthday celebration and that you were unhappy with the quality of the food. It is our aim to continually improve the food and to give our Guests the best possible produce we can source and again I am sorry that you were disappointed and this has been discussed with the Exec Chef at the hotel to look at what action can be taken.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Excellent check in when we arrived and a very grand entrance. Looked forward to going to our room (room 6) up the elegant stairwell to floor 1. Most disappointed when we saw the size of the historic room small double bed in a small room with tired mismatched furnishings and furniture but when we saw the wonderful view from the front of house facing room the size of the room really didn't matter. The large sash windows have a very serious wood rot problem that need some tlc. We are in our late 40s and early 50s, it felt like we were the youngest guests at Nidd Hall but it really didn't bother us and we met some wonderful interesting people. We fine fined and the service from the two young men was superb and the chef prepared some fabulous food. The other meals in the main restaurant were equally matched. Breakfast and dinner was incredible service and food lovely. The spa area again was enjoyed by us daily through our stay most enjoyable lovely pool temperature. Massage was excellent and beauty treatments. We really enjoyed the evening entertainment particularly the comedy and entertainers singing was excellent. A little too much ballroom for our liking but the quizzes were fun. Lovely walks down to the lake, plenty of seating, great views with just the birds singing. Enjoyed the shooting range and tuition was thorough. Only one major down side. The bath in room 6 even for us was extremely dangerous to get in and out of with the overhead shower. This bathroom seriously needs to be redesigned before someone is hurt. Lunch service and the catering areas were great. We felt well looked after.

Room Tip: If you want to enjoy a view sitting in a comfy chair with the window wide open in the sun and you ar...
1  Thank ZAM18

Hi,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor with regards to your short break . I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable break at Nidd Hall; your praise for the team, the service, entertainment, beautiful grounds and the facilities are very much appreciated.

I can assure you that the positive feedback such as this is very important to us, as we continually strive to improve the Warner experience with the services and standards we offer.

I was sorry to learn that you were a little disappointed with your bathroom due to the step, as the building is listed we are looking at what changes we can make with the existing pipe work. Your comments are really important to us as we are making changes to benefit all our customers and the bedroom, dining and entertainment experience is a major part of that.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

My wife and I came to Nidd Hall for a two day midweek break to celebrate her birthday and this is the first time we have stayed in a Warner hotel. During our stay we encountered one or two issues which I brought to the attention of the hotel management team, these issues were dealt with in a friendly and sympathetic manner and resolved to my satisfaction. We stayed in the Ingleby Suite which is one of the Historic rooms in the main house. The suite consisted of a very large bedroom, a large sitting room and a bathroom with bath and separate shower. This suite is at the front of the house and overlooks the parking bays reserved for suite guests and the front garden. Despite its size the suite did not have any wow factor and in my opinion would benefit from a make over.
The main restaurant is large and busy serving a limited menu of well prepared dishes at a reasonable price. A carvery is available which we found very good. The waiting staff in the main dining room are friendly and attentive, busying themselves to ensure all guests are served in a timely manner. Breakfast is in the main dining room and is a typical buffet style breakfast with the addition of several dishes such as kippers which are cooked to order and served at the table. The service at breakfast was friendly and efficient.
The Terrace Restaurant serves an a la carte menu at a premium price. This restaurant provides an experience akin to fine dining but unfortunately on the night we ate there the service was very slow.
There are lots of public spaces in this hotel, we especially enjoyed the quiet rooms where we could sit and enjoy a pre dinner drink.
The entertainments staff worked hard to provide activities for the guests both during the day and the evening. The main evening shows were performed by an enthusiastic troupe of singers and dancers and seemed to be well appreciated by most of the guests, although, like cruise shows, I found the volume of the music and singing too loud for my enjoyment.
Overall I found this two day break good value for money and will probably book another one either at this hotel or one of the other Warner properties.

Room Tip: If having a wonderful view is important to you, choose one of the rooms at the back of the main hou...

Hello,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor with regards to your short break . I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable break at Nidd Hall; your praise for the team and the facilities are very much appreciated.

I was sorry to learn that you were a little disappointed with your suite as you did not have the views that you were expecting and the service was slow in the Terrace. Your comments are really important to us as we are making changes to benefit all our customers and the bedroom, dining and entertainment experience is a major part of that.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We were quite sceptical about visiting a mass-entertainment centre such as this for the first time, but openly concede that we had an excellent weekend. The location, the building and the views are inherited from an earlier era, but the skill in converting into a leisure venue has to be recognised. Room: spacious, warm and comfortable. Food: six meals, all of them first class (yes, first class). Entertainment: 1960s and 1970s live bans hit the target perfectly. Staff: Highly trained and motivated. Again, well done.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Simplesouls
Nidd W, Guest Relations Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Nidd Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to fill in Trip Advisor, with regard to your short break. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable first break at Nidd Hall and it was lovely to read what a great time you had.

Your kind comments and praise for the food, the team is very much appreciated and the chefs will be recognised within our rewards scheme alongside the entertainment team. I can assure you that all feedback is very important to us, as we continually strive to improve the Warner experience with the services and standards we offer.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope earnestly to welcome you back to us in the future.

Best Regards

Julie

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I think this is a great position to get around a lovely area and see so much of this county of Yorkshire. You have Harrogate one way and knaresborough the other and so many things to do a little further away.
We generally do not join in with activities as we prefer to see the local area.
The signature room we had was up to usual standard and kept nice and clean. Great waiter on our table service.
Only one gripe on our 7 th visit to warners was fruit juice was served to table, cutbacks on fruit juice?
Food was again very good overall.
The only downside to these breaks are I only book when given the 50% offer. I would be very hesitant to book normal price as our 4 night break should have been almost £800, for which I could have had a week abroad!
Entertainment team were good but why do they persevere putting young ladies in the old fashioned purple outfits?
Currently with Tour de France taking part around this area in July a big push is going on to make it a destination to visit and planting and big clean up is going on so a visit during or after will be a added bonus.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GARY M

Hello,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor following your break at Nidd Hall Hotel and I was pleased that you found the hotel up to our usual high standards.

The fruit juice has been served to the table since 2007 as part of our service standards, so guests do not have to carry it through the restaurant and our guests can have as many glasses of juice as they like.

Warner Leisure Hotels are constantly motivated to offer the very best standards of service to relax in and the teams will offer the rooms available at the time of booking. All our prices are in line with other Companies which offer a like for like experience and we feel we offer quality service and value along with giving our guests the best possible re booking offers where possible.

We try to cater for as many different tastes as possible with a variety of entertainment to suit our guests and they wear costumes appropriate to the shows and experiences they are delivering and I am sorry if it was not to your liking.

Once again I thank you taking the time to give us your feedback and we hope earnestly to welcome you back to us in the future.

Yours sincerely

Julie

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 30 March 2014

came back from nidd hall 3 weeks ago. beautiful hotel.. our room was really comfortable. a signature. the food was lovely as usual. plenty to choose from.however I was at the salad bar and a member of staff in a white over all and tried to open a drawer in front of me. instead of saying excuse me she kept trying to pull the drawe out until I had to move. how rude of her. an d one day our room was not serviced. the drinks are a ridiculous price. take your own we do. but a very enjoyable holiday.

Room Tip: make sure you have a nice view. ask when booking
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank brenda h
Nidd W, Guest Relations Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Nidd Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Hello,

Thank you for putting your comments on Trip Advisor following your break and I was pleased that you had a lovely time except for the poor attitude from one of the food and beverage team and the room not being serviced one day.

Please accept my apologies and this will be dealt with in line with our in house procedures and thank you for letting us know. I will also pass on the positives as all feedback helps us to develop and grow.

I hope we can welcome you back soon

Guest Service Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nidd
Rudding Park Hotel
3 mi away
Kimberley Hotel
Kimberley Hotel
#8 of 28 in Harrogate

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Nidd Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!