“Staff don't know what size beds they have!!!”

Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shedfield
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stayed at the Meon Valley Hotel on Friday 21st June. We specifically booked a room with a queen sized bed and received an email confirming this. On entering our room after checking in we noted that we'd been given a room with 2 doubles and not a queen bed as requested. I rang down to reception to discuss this with the receptionist only to be told that ALL the beds in the hotel were queen size and that was what we had. Their website actually states that their deluxe guest rooms have either 1 queen or 2 double beds. As it was only for the one night we didn't bother arguing the point with the receptionist as she seemed set on the fact that the beds we had were both queen size as were 'ALL the beds in the hotel'. Perhaps a little further staff training is required? This aside, it is a very nice hotel. The standard of the room itself was very good. But as with many hotels these days, only 1 shampoo and 1 shower gel between 2 people??? Pool, steam room, Jacuzzi etc all good standard and very clean. The changing facilities are very well equipped and also very well kept. We didn't eat at the hotel as they had both a wedding and a Prom night on so we cannot comment on the standard of the food. I would stay at this hotel again but would insist I be given the room I requested.

Room Tip: Insist on being given the room you booked!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,049)

Reviewed 21 June 2013

We only stayed one night before starting a cruise from Southampton. When we arrived we were upgraded to a Junior Suite which was very comfortable. The staff were very helpfulland the service was excellent.
We had a meal in the restaurant, which whilst not Cordon Bleu was good value.
I would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Just get upgraded!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RAYKAV
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Stayed with my boyfriend for our anniversary, the staff made us feel very welcome. Had a treatment each which were excellent and very relaxing. Facilities were of a really good standard, really well maintained. Food, drink and service were equally as good.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Taneth E
Reviewed 19 June 2013

If I hadn't been for the very slow service in the Zest restaurant this hotel would be spot on. My wife and I have just had 3 days at the hotel with our 3 year old and loved every minute of it! Hotel and facilities were well deserving of the 4 star rating. Zest restaurant was not particularly great but everything else was really good. I would definately recommend it for a family break.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This place is amazing! Set in the beautiful Hampshire countryside and acres of very pretty woodlands. My friend and I celebrated her 60th birthday here today with a wonderful spa package, ' ladies that lunch' . The staff were so friendly and attentive, and extremely professional. We had time in the pool and jacuzzi, and although the place was busy with golfers, the place was very quiet. ( I dare say once the golfers finish they will look forward to the 19th hole!) we sat outside for our lunch, which was delicious. My friend had a full body massage which she loved - her first experience and won't be the last! I had manicure and pedicure and the staff were excellent. Thank you very much for a very pleasant experience!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2013

When researching for a hotel in Southampton before taking a holiday the prices did seem somewhat high and then I found this Marriott Hotel and as I have used them elsewhere I knew the standard should be O.K.

Having booked on arrival we found we had been given a suite although I do not recall booking this. The room was both spacious and as always equipped to Marriott's normal uniform style which is high quality throughout.

It was well worth the extra drive away from Southampton City Centre and I guess to reach the town or docks one should allow about 30 minutes.

The location is great and somewhat of a surprise after driving through country type lanes.

One thing that struck as as we entered and went to reception was the extremely friendly and helpful girls on the reception desk. They were happy and chatty with great big smiles and not the normal bored looking people one is often confronted with. This must be due to great staff training and the genuine willingness of staff to please.

The Hotel clearly caters for leisure and has a good range of facilities and as restaurant attached.

We decided to take things easy and booked a table at the Broadstreet on-site restaurant and made sure we had a window table for a good view.

We were greeted by a very friendly waitress and had an satisfactory meal which did more than it said on the can. Normally Hotel food is plastic and tasteless and this was a cut above the norm.

We did feel that the waitress who was alone was under some pressure as more diners were seated and this did seem to slow down the service for other diners although we were not effected.

The breakfast was great with loads to choose from and should not disappoint.

Room Tip: Splash out for an upgraded Junior Suite indulge oneself.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wacky the Wizard
Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here mid week for a night while visiting Paultons Park.
First off the staff were brilliant, welcoming and professional. The only off thing was when waiting to be seated for breakfast one of the waitresses clearly saw us on two occasions but ignored us. An acknowledgement would have been all that was required. Other than this small quibble though the staff were spot on.
The room was a double and of a decent size. The beds were comfy and the water hot. The furniture was a bit dated, the carpet wasn't well fitted (rm 116) on the left as you walk in and the spy hole wasn't fitted well. But I'm just picking. The room did as required. Breakfast was good. I would return as the hotel is good. If the threw a few quid at the room decor it could be very good.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Renwick1980
Peter B, General Manager at Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Thank you for your comments, I will ensure that the team receive the feedback. I have also picked up on your observations for improvements, again thank you for being constructive.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shedfield
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#19 of 25 in Southampton

Been to Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!