“Lovely location - excellent for Golf!!”

Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shedfield
Fairhope, Alabama
“Lovely location - excellent for Golf!!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Beautiful setting, quiet location, very polite and helpful staff - we will definitely be back if we are in the area. The breakfast buffet was good, even had a chef preparing fresh poached eggs and other treats, we had a light meal the Zest Bar and the quality was good - it was a bit noisy, but that is to be expected if you have a group of golfers there!!
All in all very pleasant.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter B, General Manager at Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Great to see such positive comments. I will ensure the feedback reaches the teams. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights at the end of October with my wife.

FOR

Good location for what we wanted to do. About 15 minute drive into Portsmouth

Room was comfortable and quiet. No air conditioning but heater worked ok and window could be opened. Probably due for a refurb, furnishings were a bit 'tired'.

Zest restaurant was very good. Food was fine and atmosphere was good.

Buffet breakfast was very good.

Staff were all friendly and helpful

AGAINST

£120 per night for the room seemed expensive for the location and overall quality

The Broadstreet restaurant was expensive and poor value. More style than substance. Seemed to be more thought put into the amuse bouche and the special bread with three types of butter than the quality of the main course

Bathroom was dark and too much condensation. This made it almost impossible to use the mirror for a shave or makeup. Common problem with many hotels.

Overall, we would probably stay again. Golf facilities looked good, but I don't play.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to compile this review. Disappointing to hear Broadstreet did not meet your expectations. I have spoken to our chef who would be happy to speak to you in person should you wish on your next stay. He is always happy to offer specific dishes when guests wish, or indeed gain valuable feedback. Thank you once again.
Kent
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This hotel has lovely décor, polite staff (well mostly apart from the possible manager in the restaurant) and a lovely setting. The food in the zest bar was fairly nice, we ate here as we didn't like the look of the atmosphere in the main restaurant. However the room we had was not up to my expectations of a Marriott hotel. We had two double beds in our room which was very lucky as the main one in the room was awful. Me and my partner just rolled into the middle and had parts of springs etc in our beds. We swapped beds and thought that would be the end of it. We went to sleep feeling happy, then woke around 4am with noise coming from outside as we had to have the windows open because it was too hot and this hotel does NOT have air conditioning. This kept us awake on and off until we finally gave up sleeping and got up. Noise of lorries (probably deliveries) coaches and just noise. So if you can try to get a room that doesn't face the front of the hotel if you want to have your windows open.
Our trip did end well with a buffet Marriott breakfast which im happy to say was lovely as always.
Sorry for the not so great review but after going away for a nice romantic break at well over £100 and not having any sleep and an uncomfortable stay i feel the hotel needs improving.

Room Tip: Have a room that doesnt face the road, car park or delivery area. Make sure it faces the golf club.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review. Disappointing to hear Broadstreet did not meet your expectations. I have spoken to our chef who would be happy to speak to you in person should you wish on your next stay. He is always happy to offer specific dishes when guests wish or indeed gain valuable feedback. Thank you once again.
London
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Up until 30 minutes before we left, having checked out, I would have recommended this hotel with 3 or 4 stars. It has its up and downs, but overall we got what we needed for a nice, relaxing stay. However just as I was sitting outside with my brother on the Zest patio deciding if we would stay for lunch we had a very serious near miss with a golf ball. We were just changing seats and if it had been one second before it would have hit him in the head. I am still shell shocked and distraught that I put my brother unknowingly at risk. We had actually decided not to walk along the footpath across the 9 hole golf course because we didn't want to take any risks, at this point we were behind a hedge and right beside the glass atrium of the spa. I was shocked to realise the golf ball had actually hit one of the tables before nearly hitting us - it was going so fast I would not have thought it was a ricochet. At this point I would have had a few words for the golfer but he clearly had a "hit and run" attitude as he was nowhere to be found. But... the worst part was that when I reported this to the Zest wait staff they literally shrugged their shoulders "it happens." Others even told me of other near misses that they had had... I tried to take it up in the golf pro shop but they were unhelpful and vague, and reception were equally calm. I'm sorry but you have a choice - if this patio is part of the golf course and there is a serious risk of being hit by a golf ball then why do they hold christenings and weddings outside, putting small children in danger? If this is a patio and you are aware of the problem then why not put up nets or change the design of the course? People play away from the car park and pathways but across the patio which is ridiculous. I have said before in other situations I am not a (whatever your occupation/hobby is) but I am a mathematician and understand statistics. If this has happened on several occasions it is not a one in million possibility and you are knowingly putting your guests in danger. No matter how good the massages or food, a golf ball in the head (or into a wine bottle or glasses) is potentially somebody's life with a death or a serious head injury. My brother has already had one head injury which is the most devastating that has ever happened to "me" - so this is probably why I am also deeply upset. Don't get me wrong I walk across golf courses in my local area and have never one had a ball come within yards of me because I am looking out for the golfers and they are looking out for me, but if you are sitting relaxing in the sun with a coffee - and there was no way we could have seen or heard the golfer - well, please, if you are a professional in this area advise if you think this is acceptable?

I do a lot of things that other people think are crazy or dangerous... but I take the risk for myself and the people who work on snorkelling boats, in wildlife parks or on beaches will either put up signs or tell you what hazards there are. Safety First!!!

Anyway, if you choose to visit this hotel either taking the risks or staying inside...

Hotel rooms - nice and comfy - but large patch of damp in bathroom.

Staff - I would have said wonderful before the incident - but seemed a bit confused when we arrived saying we should have ordered spa robes in advance (NEVER!!!! and the reception ladies were flabbergasted and gave us robes), and we couldn't have an early check-in - but they very sweetly sorted this out.

Spa - told us when we filled out health forms that we may need a doctors certificate (I was livid as I told them when I booked that there were health problems and they never mentioned this) but we did get our massages, and the reflexology by Elaine was excellent according to my brother. Other treatments were also good but afterwards my mother did tell me that her massage bed was broken and they had to elevate her head with a towel - this is not acceptable when you have put on your health form the details that you have had a neck injury - not good. Also relaxation area is just a couple of vinyl couches opposite the pro shop where people may be chatting and using mobile phones. As there are no loungers by the pool either (and they seem to be very short on spa robes so you can't go easily back and forward from the pool which is a quite a winding journey away...) you really do need your own room if you want to relax after your massage. Steam room was adequate on Sunday but too cool on Saturday and the sauna is tepid and smells funny (sorry but it does), air it out, spray some pine scent in there and rename it a Sanarium(!) Hot tub is not great with random foot bubbles (nothing for your back) and is only really big enough for 4-5 people so not very effective at all. I wouldn't recommend this for a spa break but my family only use the pool which was nice.

Food was excellent although slightly experimental and I couldn't eat my spinach (bitter with mustard seeds) but I felt the excellent service, dinner package (choose starter, main and dessert - with a few supplementary dishes) and sublime desserts made up for that. Breakfast was great but I did have to send back my first cappuccino as it was salty and gritty.

It's a shame that some people at this hotel work so hard to make it a great stay - but bad process and knowledge (or possibly dumb lies to make up for the fact laundry has not been done and one of your masseurs is off sick?) and lack of ownership let it down. Of course the golf course is immaculate but it would be nice if the same care could be taken with the customer service across the board, especially as far as the spa is concerned because greeting your spa guests with "you have to pre-order spa robes (which I had specifically asked about when I booked as sometimes they put them in your room when you are a hotel guest) and you may need a doctor's certificate which we didn't tell you about" is the kind of cr%& that puts people off of spas and massages when I spend so much of my time trying to encourage people to enjoy themselves and the therapeutic value of spa treatments.

Okay, disaster averted and I will try to relax now (I may need another spa break to do so but I know where the really good ones are!)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank PearlEscapes
Thank you for completing this review, we have reviewed our risk assessment for the 18th hole. We have added fencing to ensure areas at risk are not accessible from the patio area. I can assure you that a ball hitting the patio is really a very rare issue. I am not aware of this happening before. The team assure me it was not intentional to cause you further concern. All golfers are encouraged to follow the correct protocol in line with course design. This keeps play away from the patio area. I have noted all other comments and used them to continue to train the teams on the improvements.

Travellers are raving about these Shedfield hotels

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Stay in Marriott resorts quite often but this is the oddest layout I have ever seen. We weren't told where anything was on arrival as they were so busy (the rooms are down and the leisure areas are up!), and when we went back to ask the reception staff were run off their feet with new customers. There seemed a shortage of staff everywhere. We waited for a table in the bar, we were shocked to be told we couldn't get a table as we hadn't booked...........in a hotel bar?? Can't say I've ever done that before. We had to queue for a table at breakfast as the staff couldn't keep up with the turnover of people, not their fault but the management know how many visitors they will have so they should have enough staff to cope. Rooms are tired and no air con. Room was very hot with the radiator left on full when we arrived so it was then hard to Cool.
Lovely location though and a golfers paradise

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your review, indeed the hotel layout can be confusing. I have discussed check in improvements with the tem using your feedback. It was a busy weekend and I am sorry you were unable to have a talk in the bar. Once again thank you for delivering the review.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Just got back from a 4 day golf trip and for once I have no issues with a place we have stayed. Most years at different hotels something is not right.
This is the first time we have been here and can not fault it. The service and the staff were excellent it makes a change to be greeted with a smile and a hello by every member of staff which we all thought was perfect.
The food in the restaurant was superb in the evening with a broad range for everyone and breakfast was great. The rooms were very clean and tidy and the bar was what you would expect pricewise from a quality hotel.
The 2 courses for the golf were excellent. The greens were in great condition despite the rain and the course was a proper test. the starter and the staff in the club shop were exeptional and I would highly recommend this hotel and course.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here several times on business and with colleagues. Very personable service. Staff very attentive and as hotel restaurants go they are never my favourite. However Breakfast was always worth looking forward to in the morning. Lunch and evening meals in the Zest Restaurant was probably the best I had ever had in a chain hotel. Service again in the bar and restaurant was brilliant. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shedfield
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
#1 of 1 in Whiteley
New Place Hotel
New Place Hotel
#1 of 1 in Shirrell Heath

Been to Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!