“Great for a short break”

Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shedfield
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We arrived as many families do, overnight as part of a break to Peppa Pig World/Paultons Park.
The car park was rammed at 5.30pm with golfers but the hotel check in was swift and efficient. Our room was on the ground floor with easy access for our buggy. The room was spacious, bright & clean with 2 double beds and plenty of room for the cot, buggy, cases and family paraphernalia.

The beds were very comfortable with lovely fresh linen.

Downsides to the room- the bathrooms were a little cramped, dated and needed a bit of a re-grout/freshen up. The chrome fittings were also rather tired looking which made it all appear dirty, even if it wasn't. Also no air-con. It was a warm evening & fine but if it was any hotter it would have been far too stuffy particularly for a family of 4 in one room.

We had to get room service (jacket spud for a hungry 1 year old) earlier than the rest of us were ready to eat, which came within 10 minutes and was wolfed down very quickly. Service = Excellent. Food = good.

The restaurant meal in the bar was fine and the nicer restaurant across the hall also looked lovely. Service was great as always, however the floor was filthy with the leftovers from the previous table occupants.

Breakfast was also very good with a great variety of foods (except for the powdered scrambled egg - yuk!). I liked the fact they provided sensible ikea high chairs, cutlery & crockery for the little ones - practical and appreciated :)

Unfortunately we didn't have time to explore the grounds or spa facilities properly but they looked very nice indeed and would make the time to do so in the future.

Tips for the hotel:

Your staff are an absolute credit to you in terms of service - polite, efficient, friendly. Keep them!

The cots have a thin padded base but these aren't really proper travel cot mattresses. For a small additional expense to the hotel, it would be better to provide a proper foam mattress for little ones as we have at home and would have brought with us had I not been advised they were included. These thin padded boards cannot be comfortable, as was evident in my daughters restlessness in the night.

Wifi - I appreciate its free in the public areas but there really is no need to charge for wifi in rooms nowadays as its so low cost to a business. I'd rather pay more on the room and get free wifi than have to set it up separately & pay by the hour. There is no 3G or mobile signal here so its essential to pay which was unfortunate...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sarahw742
Peter B, General Manager at Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. I have noted the food under the tables with the team. We are currently working through our bathrooms to freshen them up. I am also working on signal boosters throughout the hotel. The team were delighted with your comments, thank you.

There are newer reviews for Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We booked two adjoining rooms and after a pleasant welcoming check-in were allocated the rooms we'd requested for my wife and I and an adjoining twin for my daughter and grand daughter. In 107 the table is very wobbly and the bed had no valance to cover the unsightly and torn bedstead.
Dinner was enjoyable but there was only limited choice for the coeliac (GF) in our group. The service started off fine but gradually decreased so that Megan was unable to get an ice cream.
Plenty of parking which was a bonus.

Room Tip: Adjoining rooms available on request for families. No air conditioning.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Peter B, General Manager at Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review, I have noted & rectified the housekeeping issues - I will also ensure your comments are passed onto the teams. Many thanks.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed here for a weekend as part of a deal through Avios. The hotel is clean and comfortable. It is well located and surrounded by beautiful parkland /golf course. It does however also have some typical bits that annoy me about some hotels. The wifi is charged at £15 for 24 hrs. I pay less than that for a month at home. The breakfast is double the price of the cafe down the road, where we went by the way. The leisure centre is nice but the pool not as big as it looked in the picture. Still nice. Some of those extra charges are not needed. The bigger chains use it to boost profit but makes me as a customer feel exploited when I know the next place I am staying at the wifi is free or apt least part of the room rate.

I wondered about 3 or 4 for the rating. What made me give it a 4 was the helpfulness of two members of staff. Firstly a waitress in the main restaurant who made us fee special, remembered our plans and made a point of asking how we enjoyed our day. Secondly a young man on reception who helped create a bespoke pack to explore the new forrest. Both went beyond the minimum. They will do well and Marriott would do well to support these people in the future.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RajaMukherjee

It is nice to see the team have been highlighted as the increase on rating. I have passed on your comments to those involved. Please do make use of our free WiFi in all restaurants and public areas. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here a couple of weeks ago as a 2 night break for both us; golf for me and the spa stuff for her. We booked it through Booking.com and the price worked out at £58.00pppn B&B.

On arrival I too was asked for a £50.00 credit card authorisation (see previous posts), but they refused to accept a debit card, insisting upon a credit card, which would have been a problem for my partner because she doesn’t possess one. They came up with what I can only describe as a cock and bull story about it being for our protection and some nonsense about how long the debit card companies retained the authorisation. Frankly I neither understood nor believed a word of it.

The room was clean and comfortable, and was available before the stated check-in time of 2pm.

After lunch, which was fine, we discovered that there were no spa treatments whatsoever available for the duration of our stay, because we hadn’t booked. Whilst the Hotel website (which we didn’t book through) states “Appointment is required”, it does not mention anywhere that advance booking before arrival is required, or desirable, or recommended, in order to avoid disappointment. So we were disappointed.

The most positive aspects of the Hotel were the evening meals in the Broadstreet restaurant. The food was extremely good, and the staff were all first class, particularly Holly, who looked after us on the first night. Holly wants to work for Virgin Airlines, so listen up Sir Richard – when she applies, snap her up. I wish I could employ her. Charlotte, on the second evening, was similarly engaging and is a credit to the Hotel.

The only downside to the restaurant came when we asked for a glass of Prosecco; they don’t sell it by the glass, they only sell it by the bottle, and it’s £39.00 for a bottle. The only “sparkling wine” they were prepared to sell by the glass was champagne, at £12.00 for a glass. The corporate answer was trotted out – not much call for it, and it would be wasted. So, that’s another answer I frankly don’t believe for one second, particularly not as this weekend I bought 2 bottles of extremely decent Prosecco from Waitrose – not the cheapest supermarket on the High Street – for £15.98, which means they could sell a glass for £8.00, and in the unlikely event that nobody else wanted it, if they threw the bottle away 3 days later they have lost precisely nothing. This then would seem to be yet another example of the corporate greed for which Marriott are fast becoming synonymous.

Breakfasts were reasonable quality, but I would certainly echo the sentiments of a previous reviewer in relation to the powdered scrambled egg; it was revolting, so avoid it all costs. I was able to play golf at a reduced rate, and very much enjoyed it.

In summary then, an acceptable Hotel at the price paid, but definitely not at the published rack rates. Certain members of staff lift the Hotel to well above average. Certain aspects of the Hotel push it right back down again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank The_Bookman
Peter B, General Manager at Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for your review and your many positive notes, especially about the staff. I have forwarded your comments to the teams, so thank you again for the positive feedback. Also please do rest assured that your comments will and have been taken seriously in view of the value around drinks & booking processes. It was a helpful review to understand how we can improve the customer perception and improve the journey. I appreciate the time you have spent in sending in your review.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Lovely quiet room, comfortable bed, and feather pillows. However the bath was dirty and had black mould stains , after complaining someone did come to clean it. This had little effect, the mould still existed. The company needs to get a more efficient cleaning method.
Tried the room service soup which did not seem home made (was told it was) and nothing like I make.
Friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

I appreciate your comments on our room. Unfortunately this bathroom does have a stained bath. We are looking to replace as well as upgrade our bathroom. I have spoken to our chef, we do make all our own soups. Please do ask for a different soup when you next stay.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

28 guys attended our annual 3 day golf weekend on the 25 to 27 April. We travelled from North wales, Birmingham and Kent to play the course and meet up with old friends. We arrive and the course was closed due to rain so we all stayed in the bar all day and at £4.20 per pint it was quite an expensive day, we were then given a voucher for us to play the course up to December for a £1 a hole, which is a bit of a cheek as we had already paid to play it and were give 4 jugs of beer as compensation, between 28 it wasn't even a pint each. Dinner Friday night was good but there wasn't enough staff on to serve us all at the same time. Breakfast Saturday was good apart from the powdered scrambled egg (disgusting) and two of our guys could sit in the breakfast room as they had shorts on!!!, we were also not all together and just mixed with the other hotel guests. Golf was good on Saturday and we were put in a side room for dinner and not allowed in the bar as there was a wedding and a 90th birthday at the hotel. Again 2 staff to serve food and drink to 28 people, we were given again 6 jugs of beer free. We finally went in the bar about 9.30 when the crowd had gone.
Sunday we awoke to rain and breakfast was in a large room with us all together. The course was again closed. No vouchers or anything else was offered. Was the course close to protect it for the televised Trilby Trophy at our expense? We found out later that another society had played on Friday on a course about 3 miles away that was open. No one in the pro shop suggested going somewhere else. We meet every year and we will never go back to a Marriot hotel because we were just filling the hotel whilst they milked us for our bar money. No satisfied.
Beast

Room Tip: Go to a De Vere Hotel as you get good service there.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I enjoyed a lunch this week - not just for good and well prepared food but the key thing I noticed was the nice friendly and professional team. You also enjoy some of the very best beautiful views of Hampshire countryside with plenty of pleasant outdoor seating areas where you can eat, drink and relax. I would love to have been staying for longer!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SuzanneJHeaven

Our team were delighted with your comments, we hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shedfield
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Jurys Inn Southampton
Jurys Inn Southampton
#6 of 25 in Southampton
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7

Been to Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!