“Good pub grub”

The Park Gate Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Park Gate Inn in Hollingbourne is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Visited with In-laws and Grandma, so good service was essential - and it was.....
However, make sure you request the round table if there are 5 or 6 people in your party, then you will avoid being stuck in a corner in the back room!

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

After a day spent rambling in the beautiful grounds of Leeds Castle. We, (my wife, two children and I) were hungry, tired and a little damp.

This pub seemed a welcoming resting place to eat and relax for a little while. It is a pub chain, Vintage Inns, which can hit and miss at best. The problem I have with restaurant chains is inconsistency. It is a difficult thing to maintain . I have eaten in a number of vintage inns (see other reviews) some are great, some are truly awful.

The Park Gate Inn is a beautiful pub. Large with numerous rooms offering different ambient spaces to enjoy a meal and a drink. It is cosy and welcoming. We all enjoyed ourselves.

We had a friendly and pleasant waitress, Becky, who looked after us throughout our visit. Everybody enjoyed their food. It is not haute cuisine but for hungry ramblers, it was perfect!

It would not be a pub I would search out to visit but I certainly enjoyed it and would recommend it to a diner in search of a wholesome meal especially after an afternoon of rambling in the castle grounds!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Lovely pub and good food, but staff would not cater for our 7month old- we asked if they could do a mixture of side orders in a small bowl but they refused to do so and we had to buy full sized side orders- which I found is a waste of food. Not only this but the price was extortionate considering we only wanted a small portion. They just had no consideration for our needs and being a 'family friendly pub' I expected this to be no problem at all. After we had finished our meal we stayed for another 30mins and our plates had still not been collected.

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed lunch in the garden. Roast potatoes amazing, lots of gravy and they do a 3 meat platter if you fancy a bit of everything. Will be eating out here more often!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

By now I thought I'd have learnt my lesson about eating here. The pub is nice, the drinks are nice but the food terrible. I used to eat here a lot under the old management team and it was superb but now - awful. The last three meals have been to say the least so bad it was unbelievable. The first time I had the mixed grill, everything came out with obligatory grill lines (even the rasher of bacon), was half cold, dry and the steak was like shoe leather (see pic). The second time I ordered the pate, it sounded nice but when it came was a small thin edge of pate, with two pieces of walnut bread and some relish. No salad garnish nothing.

Last week's was the best though, it was Wednesday and pie night and having recently become vegetarian I thought I'd try the deliciously sounding three cheese and potato pie. It came - the pastry looked nice, the crispy top looked nice but that was where it ended. As I cut into it what looked like grey opaque wallpaper paste ran out along with 5 cubes of potato. It tasted terrible so all I could eat was the pastry and the top (luckily I had the peas and mash as well with it).

Having worked in catering and the pub trade myself this is not at all good and reflects on the whoel of the Vintage Inns name - a massive shake-up in the kitchen is needed.

Never again.