“Our short break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hollingbourne
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Our short break”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The room we were allocated was satisfactory but very warm, however it was clean the tea and coffee facilities were very poor. We had booked to have breakfast but having seen it on our first morning we cancelled as the restaurant was messy and the breakfast was not as advertised. The main complaint was that the disabled lift was not working though out our two day stay so my husband had to wheel me round the outside of the building and through the fire doors which were very heavy and it was difficult to pull them open with one hand and push me with the other it was fortunate that the weather was fine otherwise we would have been wet thro. What staff was available were very pleasant but not aware of any difficulties we were having.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Daphne
Thank you for your review. The Mercure breakfast is a popular one and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I have noted each of the points raised and would like to apologise for the platform lift that was not operating during your stay.Thank you for your comments about the staff. Sincerely, Dominic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

What a disaapointment our stay at the Mercure Great Danes was. We came for 3 reasons, to celebrate my birthday, our anniversary and to also have a good night's sleep (as with having a 2 year old who does still not sleep well at night I have not had an undisturbed night sleep in 2 years!)
But our celebration was completely ruined thanks to this hotel.
Upon arrival we walked into our bedroom (after a fairly long walk too, felt extremely sorry for the elderly people in the hotel who had to walk that far too their rooms) and the heat of the room blew us away. It was ridiculously hot and when asked if we could have a fan they had run out.
There was only 1 large towel in the bedroom and the first thing we normally like to do at a hotel when we arrive is too read all about the amenities but there was no information provided.
The size of the room was not big enough to swing a cat in and we were shocked at how small the size of the room was, extremely disappointed with this.
The shower was also dreadful as had very little power and with thick hair as you can imagine this took a lot of time to be able to wash it!
Basically the room is quite simply on par with a room from a Premier Inn....but smaller!

Now for the worst part, as mentioned this night away was mainly to catch up on sleep yet we had none! The next door neighbours decided to have a party in their room from 11pm (just as we had got off to sleep) until 3am! There were 4 people in there (despite them only being allowed 2) and all we heard was expletives and loud aggressive behaviour.

We called reception who send a security guard to go to their room, instead of asking 2 of the people to go back to their own rooms he just asked them to keep the noise down. As soon as he left the noise began again with shouting off "who is the f***ing grass"!! So of course we were then concerned that they would come banging on our door (luckily they didn't).

I feel the security guard should have then maintained inspection of the room to ensure that they kept the noise down but he didn't and we had to make a further 2 phone calls (We couldn't even put the TV on to try and drown out the noise as that was not working properly!). Finally at 3am the other 2 people left the room and the noise stopped, we then managed to sleep until 6am when all the banging of the doors began.....each bedroom door is so heavy and bangs shut extremely loudly so no body expect a nice lie-in at this hotel!!

I felt more tired leaving this hotel then I did upon on arrival and we both had pounding headaches due to a combination of lack off sleep and the unbearable heat.
We spoke to the manager who "said he will pass our details on". I am just upset we had paid in advance as we certainly would not have been paying on the morning we had left!

It is such a shame that this happened as the restaurant/food was lovely and had a great singer on (although drinks very expensive) and the gym and spa were great, plus lovely gardens.

However I feel that the nice part of our stay was completely destroyed by the quality/size of bedrooms and that not more was done to stop all the noise, the most important part of staying at a hotel is having a nice undisturbed sleep!!

Such a shame that nothing was done for us the following morning, not even a complimentary breakfast! Will not stay at a Mercure hotel again as a result of this experience and for quite simply ruining our birthday and anniversary.

Room Tip: Don't book if you expect a good nights sleep and/or a quality room, premier inn etc have better...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma T
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Emma
Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry that your special weekend was spoiled by such inconsiderate guests and that the matter was not completely resolved to your satisfaction. I have noted all your comments and was pleased that you enjoyed the food, the gym, and the entertainment. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again to a Mercure Hotel in the future where I am sure this unusual incident will not mar the occasion again. Yours sincerely, Dominic

Travellers are raving about these Hollingbourne hotels

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a Ball. The walls are very thin. I could hear every word people where saying. The room was basic but fit purpose even though the kettle was hidden away and it was a very hot day and we had a get someone to get a fan for us. Staff were a little put out when our friends asked for assistance with luggage. We had to lift our cases up and down stairs to get to our room

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear TonyandAnna
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are always ready to assist with any luggage demands as this forms part of our daily lives. I am really sorry that this was not the case with your friends. I do apologise and will follow this up. All the best meanwhile, Dominic
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I booked the hotel for my partner and I as a place for us to relax and unwind. We stayed for 1 night on 06/06/2014. Cannot fault the location, food, staff and overall service. However two things prevented a 5 star review.

Peacocks making noise very early in the morning. Would love to have shut the windows but the room was like a sauna! No climate control and fan provided was about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Matthew B
Hi Matthew
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your comments and apologise for the disturbance, which happens only occasionally. Let me know if you intend to visit again and I will personally manage your booking. Sincerely
Dominic
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a 1 night leisure break, everything was lovely can't really find much to complain about, the lady bar staff weren't the happiest face felt like an inconvenience to her, spa, pool and jacuzzi was a lovely relax.
£50 to upgrade room we didn't and the room we has was fine, although 2 single beds pushed together isn't my idea of a double and if you don't like firm beds beware ours was rock solid
Restaurant food was beautiful and breakfast was a lovely choice
Would hesitate booking again because of the uncomfortable beds
We went for a break and didn't really leave feeling refreshed because if the nights sleep.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Natalie R
Dear Natalie
Thank you very much for your review, I was pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We have replaced nearly all our beds with really good feedback. Not certain which was your room but will check any outstanding. I have noted your other comments and hope to welcome you back again. Regards, Dominic
Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Overall we were very pleased with our stay at the Mercure Great Danes Hotel, Maidstone. We booked a two night stay on a promotional deal and felt that it offered good value. As we weren't intending to visit Maidstone itself, the fact that it was outside the town didn't bother us. We liked the location as it was just off the Motorway but was surrounded by countryside. The grounds were very well kept and we enjoyed a nice walk round in the sunshine on the afternoon of our arrival. The Hotel is promoted as a 'Wedding Venue' and offers facilities to hold the service outside. Our room was at the back of the Hotel with views out over the grounds and surrounding countryside which was pleasant and quiet with no traffic noise. The room wasn't that big but clean and comfortable with everything you would expect in a standard room provided and in working order. Our only complaint was that it was very warm in our room, which seems to have been mentioned in other reviews as well. There was a fan which we used but no climate control. I would imagine that this would be quite unbearable on a very hot day. Restrictors were on the windows which didn't help as this meant we couldn't open them very wide. A buffet style fixed price menu was offered as well as a brasserie a la carte. On our first night we felt that the food from the buffet was a little on the cold side but this didn't seem a problem on the second night. The selection offered at breakfast was very acceptable and there was always plenty of food available. We enjoyed using the leisure facilities and liked the pool, steam room, jacuzzi and sauna. All the staff were friendly and helpful. If we stayed again, we would probably consider upgrading our room.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the Hotel are away from the road and have good views but they get very hot...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your positive review. Our upgrade bedrooms are popular and include Privilege rooms and Superior suites with a separate lounge area. Hope to see you back again soon. Best wishes, Dominic
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights (currently still here on last night) whilst on business and the hotel itself is nice, has well kept grounds, mine was a clean and decent sized room.

The breakfast is the best aspect of the Accor group of hotels and this hotel did not let me down. Across the hotel chain this is excellent with plenty of choice and variety. The dinner in the hotel was average, filled a hole but did not really impress. There were a couple of bus tours here at the same time so maybe this a detrimental affect on quality, I don't know.

The room was spotless and I had a great view but was a touch on the warm side. There was a small fan in the room but didn't really have any impact on cooling the room down.

The hotel has a well equipped gym, which I used while I was here (main reason for staying). The equipment is old and in need of upgrading but did the job.

There are a few things, in my opinion, which let the Mercure part of the group down. These are small things but if they were changed my rating would have been higher. The TV system! How old and slow is it? If the TV froze once it did it several times a night, hence the reason I'm writing the review on my last night here.

The toilet roll, toilet paper, loo roll what ever you want to call it. You get a better quality in a supermarket toilet. Accor, don't scrimp on the small things!!

Biscuits in your room, you get them in the Novotel but not in the Mercure? Again a very small thing but would make a "room" cup of tea taste so much better.

Would I come back? Possibly I would, if and when I'm in the area again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank zippysnr
Dear zippysnr
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoy the Mercure and Accor breakfast experience. Our brasserie menu is also available and the Summer menu was recently launched with great feedback. Thank you for pointing out the TV issue which we will look into directly. I hope to welcome you back and worth mentioning that 2mbps wifi is now available FREE throughout the hotel. Regards Dominic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollingbourne
Mercure Tunbridge Wells
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
Village Hotel Maidstone
Village Hotel Maidstone
#4 of 14 in Maidstone

Been to Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel? Share your experiences!