“kent Holiday”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hollingbourne
Taunton, United Kingdom
“kent Holiday”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

There is no air-conditioning in bedrooms also only rails and shelves for your clothes - obviously geared up for the business traveller and one nighters, Also our room was near the extractor fans and was very noisy and didn't stop until about midnight, Food was O.K. but not fantasti but the staff were excellent. I was disappointed because I had ordered a chocolate birthday cake for my husband, through our tour company before we left, but when the cake arrived it was a cheesecake. I queried this with dining room manager and she said that no-one had informe the chef until the day before so somewhere there is alack of communication!

Room Tip: Preferably one as far away as possible from the extractor fans.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Angela
Thank you very much for your review. I have noted all your comments and apologise for the situation with the birthday cake. We are always delighted to receive special requests such as yours, which allow us to exceed expectations. I will be in touch on a separate note about this. Sincerely Dominic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Poitiers
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Hotel is in need of some refurbishment. There was no lift in our part of the hotel. The carpets in the corridors were nearly threadbare in places. Poor service in the restaurant lead us to leave without being offered dessert or coffee.

Room Tip: Would like to have air conditioning and a choice of pillow.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Franco
Thank you for your review. I am sorry we did not deliver our usual restaurant service. The 5 rooms in the manor house are reached via the original staircase. These rooms were used by the Beatles back in the 60's during filming nearby for the 'Magical Mystery Tour'. They are large spacious rooms, quiet and favorite with regulars, overlooking the grounds with morning sun. Hope to welcome you back and would recommend perhaps one of our Privilege rooms next time. Sincerely, Dominic
Lucca, Italy
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The hotel looked enticing on a summers afternoon. That's where the idyll ended.
Having driven over a 1000 miles from Italy to get here, I was so looking forward to spending time in a gracious hotel. My room did not have air conditioning although all the public did( I suppose for the staff) In order to stay somewhat cooler during a heatwave, it was necessary to have the windows open, but the noise of the nearby motorway was deafening. So much for relaxation
On my arrival I was politely asked if I would like to 'pay as I go' or give my credit card, so I offered my card and looked forward to a delicious dinner. I booked a table for 8.30.
When I arrived in the restaurant I was greeted by a sharp tongues girl who couldn't find the reservation and promptly tried to put me through the 3rd degree. When I expressed frustration at this incompetence II was accused of being rude. She went on to say I had shouted at her, however as I pointed out, that If I had shouted at her, the whole hotel would have been evacuated. But it doesn't end there. I ordered a hamburger. Half an hour later I was presented with something which was disgustingly inedible. No amount of tomato ketsup could disguise it;s awfulness, So I abandoned the dining room and had to order sandwiches in my room. These were seriously overpriced for what they contained, and to add insult to injury a additional £3 was added to the cost for room service. The bill also contained an additional space for a gratuity. It is my belief ha the Accor group need to train its staff and concentrate on prviding the minimum of guest service. Perhaps they should start by appointing a manager who has been trained in hotel mnagement

Room Tip: Just don't bother
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank David B
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear David
Thank you for your comments which have been carefully noted.I am very sorry we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and after such a very long journey. The Brasserie menu is very popular with the 100% Aberdeen Angus burgers topping the list of best sellers. Our team are continuously recognised for the their friendly and caring attitude and I will ensure this is not allowed to lapse. Sincerely, Dominic

Travellers are raving about these Hollingbourne hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed at the hotel on Friday and Saturday night.
We arrived mid day on Friday and on check in, the chap on reception must have read my booking comments requesting a quiet room (which I had forgotten about having pre booked a month before online), as we had a room at the back of the hotel.
The room itself was quite compact, but functional and served its purpose perfectly. We did visit in the middle of a heatwave, and the room temperature was crazy hot with no air conditioning, but a visits to reception to request a desk fan for the room helped a great deal.
I suspect some of the rooms we passed next to fire doors and on corridors with wobbly creaky floors would be a bit noisy, but we were delighted with our quiet room.
The facilites were great - the lesuire club with the pool and jacuzzi were a fantasic releif after a day on our feet at the war and peace revival.
As part of our online booking package, we had a complimentary meal in the restaurant on Friday night. The food was good quality and the service brilliant - attentive but not intrusive.
This was repeated for breakfast buffets on both days - a simple but comprehensive buffet with attentive service.
The hotel is easy to find from the road, and in terms of local attraction, we wanted to visit the war and peace military show at Folkstone, which was 20 mins away, and Leeds castle was an easy 1/2 mile walk from the hotel.

So overall - a reasonable hotel made into a great one by the staff. Rooms can be hot.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room (if you want one)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Idle Baldy
Thank you very much for your comments about our team and the great food & service you received here. I am pleased you were delighted with your room and that you felt expected. We are well located for Folkestone & Dover with easy access to the Eurostar also. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Best wishes, Dominic
Shropshire
Reviewed 20 July 2014

It was the second time we have stopped at this location, as the first time was fine.

The hotel room we were given was very small and very poor layout (a lot smaller compared to even a Travel Inn ?) and was so hot and airless as to be unbearable to stop in the room for even a few minutes it really was like an oven, which when you are paying over £100+ a night is poor.

You also need a sat nav and sandwiches to get to you room, the distances you have to trek around the corridors to actually get to your room is crazy. if you have trouble with walking good luck!

After 2 requested we were provided with a fan that was on 24hrs a day and just circulated hot air. We later requested a replacement top sheet to replace the tog duvet, first of all they gave us a single one and the next day the staff managed to get us a double that fit the bed !

The breakfasts were very good, pool facilities were fine, the staff were very friendly and helpful when not under pressure. The hotel is clean and well maintained and I like the art deco feel in the bar area, but this hotel desperately needs some areas looking such as fitting air con in the rooms and room access made easier.

If I was staying again, I would need to check the room size and only stop in cooler weather.It was a shame that this time was disappointing.
I could live with most things that niggle but this time this stay was not at all pleasant. It was not the fault of the staff who did what they could, but the senior management, need to take a good hard look at investing money in some serious upgrades if they wish to keep customers in the future.

Room Tip: If it is sunny/summer do not get a room facing the tennis courts, the window are above the shiny all...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear NCarlton
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found the hotel clean & well maintained by our friendly team & that you enjoyed the breakfast & extensive leisure facilities. The weather at present is exceptional & I am sorry your room was so warm. We do have a number of different room types & sizes & are always happy to offer an alternative when available. Thank you for choosing to stay with us again. Regards Dominic
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here on the way to Goodwood Festival of Speed. We arrived late but check in wasn't a problem. We were given 2 family rooms for 4 of us which was a bonus. The bathrooms a bit small. I'm 5'4" & less than the average dress size & when turning to leave the bathroom kicked the bin by the sink. There must also have been some sort of airlock in the water system as flushing the loo was like sounding a fog horn. This would have upset any neighbours as we knew from an earlier incident from another room that the walls are not sound proofed. The food at breakfast would be fine if you could find anyone to provide some plates and bowls to eat it from. After seating anyone the restaurant manager seemed to disappear only to return to answer her cell phone or to shout instructions to a member of staff across the restaurant. At one point the person being yelled at wasn't even in the same room. It took about 15 minutes to find someone to get some tea & coffee, this is probably because they were all getting in position to be yelled at at distance. In summary, the rooms are OK & you get free entertainment at breakfast if you're not in a hurry to eat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Kim
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you were welcomed with an upgrade and appreciate your comment about the loo which will be dealt with. I was very concerned to read your comments about the breakfast operation and will be looking into the matter. Best wishes meanwhile. Dominic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollingbourne
Mercure Tunbridge Wells
#1 of 3 in Lenham
Village Hotel Maidstone
Village Hotel Maidstone
#4 of 15 in Maidstone

Been to Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel? Share your experiences!