“Awfull”
Review of Square Meal Cafe - CLOSED

Square Meal Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Food is terrible cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired, give it a miss go to the village for some decent food.

1  Thank Ann S

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I am revisiting this Cafe as it has been taken over by new owners. The new people have virtually renovated from floor to ceiling and it is now light, bright and airy. The front facade has been opened up to make it appear even bigger. The previous owners decorated this cafe as a 'Bikers Cafe' which may have had a tendency to frighten people away just a little but the new owners are endeavoring to make it a family-friendly establishment. As I say, the decor is light and it is still a work in progess as other knick-nacks are added to make it even more homely and welcoming. The brand new flooring was very much needed and enhances the building considerably. I read somewhere that the food was 'bland' and although I have not been through the extensive menu I can only speak as I find and I have been very satisfied with what I have tried since the re-opening. I will keep returning here as I believe the new owners will put their stamp on it and will make it a welcoming eating establishment. As said in my previous eview, parking is avalable front and rear and you can get your car valeted while you dine. I wish them well because they are putting in a great deal of effort.

1  Thank Tedthedog_12
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I am reviewing again since a management change in the New Year. There is no longer any decoration on the walls, which are now painted white. The previous management achieved wonders in terms of cooking and the hospitality was second to none. I shall miss them.
I returned recently and found the food awful, overcooked and bland. No taste whatsoever. The new management are indifferent and unwelcoming.The atmosphere of cheerfulness gone.
It's a bit of a tragedy but I shall never go there again.

2  Thank Robert E
Reviewed 13 November 2012

If you want a warm welcome and great food then this is the place. It is the first building on left as you enter Birchington from Canterbury and London. Easy to miss as it is a bit hidden by trees and the big red canopy of a car wash but don't let that put you off. In fact you can have your car done while you eat delightful food served by welcoming people. The menu is vast and varied but even then you can 'pick your own' as the owners are very obliging. Ample parking front and rear, it is situated right on the main road so no searching for it. Garden seating, too!
Try it....you won't be sorry and once tried, you will come again as my burgeoning waistline testifies! That said, if I have a Salad I don't know whether to photograph it or just eat it as it looks so good! They take so much pride in their presentation.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

Just had breakfast here. Easy to miss it as it's right on the edge of Birchington.
Absolutely brilliant, much, much better than your average cafe. Perfectly cooked eggs, amazing chips, golden and crispy, fresh mushrooms. They have a very diverse menu too with unusual things for lunch like Rabbit and Bacon Pie. According to locals who know it, the cooking is uniformly excellent. Also very clean. Open from 7am till 3pm. There's also a very good hand car wash and valet place right next door so you can have your car done while you eat.

1  Thank zetec2000