“Wonderful family. Very knowledgeable host!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gamboa
Ivan's Bed & Breakfast Birding Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Gamboa B&B and Inns
Boston
“Wonderful family. Very knowledgeable host!”
Reviewed 4 February 2009

I took a last minute trip to Panama as a personal getaway. I had only three days to spend in the country and do not regret for a minute that I spent the majority of it in Gamboa at Ivan's. In fact, I was thrilled and the three days felt like 10. Very relaxing. Extremely pleasant.

My experience with Ivan started via an online reservation through his website. (If you have trouble, be patient, the internet service in Gamboa is not reliable and Ivan is plagued by outages.) Ivan was very helpful and even sent driving directions on how to get to Gamboa. If you are renting a car, follow Ivan's directions to the letter. Dead on, didn't get lost, and probably saved myself 45 minutes avoiding a traffic jam.

There's a big resort in Gamboa, but I wasn't looking for a sterile four star experience. I went to see wildlife and relax. That's what Ivan's is ideal for.

I spent a lot of time looking for birds and critters on the Pipeline Road. Ivan is about as knowledgeable on the local wildlife as you could want. There were three men staying there while I was there, one was a very serious nature photographer. On this trip, they had a specific goal. They wanted to photograph a pit viper! Ivan knew just the guide to recommend and although I left before they completed their trip, they came home after days and late nights out very satisfied and excited with what they'd seen.

Since I'm no expert, I usually came back to the house with vague descriptions of what animals and birds I'd seen. Ivan was always quick to grab a bird book or his computer to help me identify what it was.

In addition, Ivan himself can serve as a birding/nature guide. I tended to seek solitude, but did venture out with Ivan on one occasion and his enthusiasm was contagious. He truly loves the wildlife in Panama and can tell you all about it.

Other highlights? There were a lot. Home-cooked Panamanian breakfasts and suppers using recipes and ingredients I'd never heard of before. They were delicious. Another special treat was a brief tour of the town, where Ivan showed me the dugout canoes in the town used for the annual race down the Panama Canal (both of Ivan's children have competed in this event.) Last (and least), there was a mini-fridge stocked with coca-cola and beer with a notebook nearby to log your "purchases." This simple honor system bar was perfect for self-service at whatever time I returned from my Treks.

I could go on and on. To be honest, I didn't even have to leave Ivan's backyard to get some great wildlife sitings: Toucans, all sorts of colorful birds I'd never seen before, and even a family of agoutis who walked around as happily as a family of squirrels would in the states. Just to give you an idea, at one point I was sitting in Ivan's back yard and heard some voices in the yard next door. I glanced over to see a full group of tourists with binoculars raised to their eyes-- apparently Ivan's yard and his neighbor's were a stop on a birding tour. Later in my stay, a mot-mot landed right on Ivan's bar near the mini-fridge and posed for a picture (of course, my flash didn't work.)

The room was clean. The bed was comfortable. Nothing fancy, but just as good as what I have at my own house. They put ice water next to the bed and I was amazed to find it still cold at the end of the day. Extremely hospitable.

As a woman traveling alone, I felt completely secure the entire time I stayed at Ivan's. Basically, you are staying at his house with his family and they are wonderful.

I could go on and on and on, but will close with this: If you like nature and prefer low-key local experiences to cookie-cutter sequestered holidays, Ivan's is the place for you.

PS. Excuse my photos. Disposable camera and inept photographer.

• Liked — The natural surroundings and town were wonderful. And Ivan's hospitality was a great match!
  • Disliked — I couldn't stay longer.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank Likes2GoGoGo
BirderGamboa, Owner at Ivan's Bed & Breakfast Birding Lodge, responded to this review, 30 May 2010
Thanks fortaking your time in writting your comments on Trip Advisor

Cheers
Ivan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Mt. Vernon, Washington
Reviewed 25 January 2009

Ivan's B&B is an amazing value in the quiet little town of Gamboa. With dinner included, the price was $50 per night per person. The food was prepared and served up by Ivan's family, and it was adequately portioned, carefully prepared, and very tasty. Given the nature of the neighborhood surroundings, evenings were very peaceful. Rooms are comfortable and very clean, although our twin mattress was a bit too springy for two people. The bathrooms are amazingly roomy with a five-star shower.

The main reason to consider coming here is Ivan's family hospitality. He bends over backwards to make sure you are having a good stay. His wife, mother, and two children are extremely friendly, but not obtrusive, if you prefer your privacy.

Additionally, the town is on the doorstep of the wonderful Soberania National Park. The famous Pipeline Road is a 20 minute walk, where there lies world-class birdwatching. However, even birdwatching in the town itself and the nearby ponds is wonderful. We were lucky enough to witness one of the neotropic's rarest raptors two blocks from Ivan's house.

This is the only real alternative to the near-by high-end accomodations in the Gamboa area. One thing to note: The town of Gamboa has no restaurants or gas stations. It is a sleepy residential town where most folks commute to Panama City each day. There is only one small store run out of the back of one of the townsfolk's houses where you can get minor rations and snacks. Other than that, there is an ATM (for some reason).

If you are a nature lover on a budget, Ivan's is unbeatable

• Liked — hospitality and proximity to nature
  • Disliked — mattress
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kckar
Texas
Reviewed 30 September 2008

Ivans came recomended by several people and we found the B&B to be clean and convinent. Near the good Birding and not too far from Panama City. Prices were 35.00 per person with breakfast. Do grab something from the El Rey grocery in Clayton for supper as there are no places to eat except the Rain forest Resort. If you are fishing on Lake Gatun on a budget this would be a good bet. If you need a guide I would call Kenny Fearon, an American that grew up in Panama. He knows everything there is to know about Panama. His email is [-]

• Stayed September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank swtexan
BirderGamboa, Owner at Ivan's Bed & Breakfast Birding Lodge, responded to this review, 21 November 2008
Location Corrector

Ivan´s Bed and Breakfast is not located in Colon but in the town of Gamboa at the Panama Canal aprox 25 to 30 minutes driving time from Panama City.

Nevertheless Gamboa belongs to the Province of Colon being the Chagres river the physical province devider between province of Panama and Colon Gamboa has alway being concider part of the Panama Province.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gamboa
Radisson Summit Hotel And Golf
#1 of 9 in Colon
Radisson Colon 2000 Hotel & Casino
Best Western Plus Panama Zen Hotel
Gamboa Rainforest Resort

Been to Ivan's Bed & Breakfast Birding Lodge? Share your experiences!