“Eco tour was amazing”

Panama Canal Boat Eco Tour
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Carl is the tour..he is incredibly funny and knowledgeable and you feel 10k miles from home. We really loved paddling via kyak to the waterfalls after his powerboat tour of the canal. Do this and an Embera villia

1  Thank DStrips98
There are newer reviews for Panama Canal Boat Eco Tour

Reviewed 13 October 2012

Captain Carl’s tour is an entire day. There are other tours that are mornings only; they don’t include the afternoon of activities on his houseboat. We had to find our own ride to the boat ramp. We hired reliable driver Fernando Kelly <fekelly2006@yahoo.com> who took us down the lush jungle road to the Gamboa public boat ramp with no problems, held our luggage, and picked us up at the end of the day – dropping us off at the airport. He only charged $60 total; all the other quotes were $100.

Captain Carl is the type of guy who tells so many jokes, you never know when he is being serious. I think it is because his reality is unreal.

Picture Disneyland's Jungle Cruise, and you can imagine just what our day was like (minus animatronics and a headhunter). The boat and jungle shore looked just like the ride, but real. Captain Carl took us right out into the canal, passing the container ships. A few different times he would pull up to the shore and call for ... Something. The trees started shaking like King King or Mighty Joe was going to come out (and attack us), and out pops these little, very cute monkeys! We saw 4 kinds: a howler, several capuchin, and 2 others. The capuchin monkeys jumped into the boat for bananas. (Note: Captain Carl did not bring food; one of the passengers had bananas.) One of them looked two-headed... It was carrying its baby on its back! At this point I was thinking the tour was pretty amazing, and unlike anything I have ever done.

Our next stop on the tour was Captain Carl's houseboat tucked off one of the waterways of the canal. He served us a very good, hot lunch - and gave us time to swim (with the crocodiles? No thanks) or lay in hammocks. Or get a picture of a baby caiman on our head.

Then the group of us got in kayaks and went up stream. Oh yeah, now it is raining (Panama hard) and thundering but it makes no difference and doesn't dampen the experience one bit. We paddled through the muck of water plants and reached a tucked away waterfall.

The jungle cruise excitement ends here. I'm cold and wet, and can't dry off. No point in changing into my dry clothes because it is still raining. Note to self: bring a towel.

6  Thank Folsom5outback
Reviewed 29 August 2012

The boat driver Karl Davis surprised his clients by been rude, pretending to bully his clients, other tour operators and the local natives. He tells people that the islands belong to his company and that no one can land or beach at his islands. He miss treats the natives that fish and work in Lake Gatun. The Canal Zone and 2 miles in width on each side is the Parque Nacional Soverania of public use, therefore no body has properties rights in this land. Some people have been allowed to build shacks and docks, but this does not give them the exclusive right of use of this places. Karl loudly screams, cruses and bullies people in front his own clients and other operators tourists, embarrassing everyone. He should be given a warming by ACP and a reprimand by the Tourist Authority of Panama.

14  Thank Carlos C
Reviewed 4 August 2012

This Eco-tour will be one of my most memorable excursions. Captain Carl is indeed very charismatic. His sense of humor added to the enjoyment of this tour. Word of caution to those who take things to seriously, this may not be for you. Captain Carl knew the animals by name. Great photo shots. I did things I would never have thought of doing. I held a snake, baby crocodile, and a monkey on my shoulder. I also fed a Tucan. All of this took place on the house boat when you stop for lunch. The lunch is not a typical sack lunch. We had a nice hot and delicious meal. After the meal, the group ventured off on the kayaks.. The journey ended at a beautiful waterfall. The return back to the houseboat allowed time to try out the hammocks or try your hand at some fishing. My niece caught a fish. This excursion is a must do while you are in Panama.

4  Thank Elaine B
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Exciting tour! Everything we learn at school when we were kids, we can see right there, while riding thru the Panama Canal, along with those huge ships.