“Great time at Gamboa”

Gamboa Rainforest Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gamboa
Reviewed 17 April 2008

Lets start with we had a great time at this resort in Panama!! The rain forest is one thing to see in a lifetime. The staff and food were excellent for central america standards. The tours we took were all very good and educating. The indian village tour stands out among the others and is a must see to learn how they lived and still do live without many of modern day stuff. The sights and sounds you here and see from the rain forest to us was something that we had never exerienced. The weather was great and it only rained 2 times, once in the morning and one afternoon for 2 hours. Mid to upper 80s in the day and 70s at night.

• Stayed: April 2008

Reviewed 15 April 2008

Myself and my husband just got back to California. We went along with a large group from work.
This was by far the worst experience we had! We have many travels under out belt (Far east, middle eat, Italy, France etc...)as we love exploring new places and cultures.

The rooms were in very bad condition in fact the entire hotel is poorly maintained. You can see the leaks in the plumbing system as it is completely exposed. The hotel spares no efforts in trying to control the amount of bugs and "creepy crawlers".

Our room was not cleaned one day at all - they forgot!
Another day it was cleaned however no towels or soap or toiletries was available in the room.

And don't get me started about the service! Our group of 120 people all came to one conclusion: they simply DO NOT CARE - and it isn't the staff's fault - management doesn't care either!

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

The only things we enjoyed was the tours and scenery - there is no doubt the forest/jungle was breathtaking!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2008

I just got back from the Gamboa Resort, and I too would say save your money. The service was terrible, the food was repetitive and boring. The staff did not care about you and took their time if they bothered to come back to you at all. I was on an all inclusive trip. It was terrible, the beer was not cold, the drinks were from a mix; i.e., margaritas, and they did not wait on you. You actually had to practically beg them to get a drink. I am from the USA and speak very little Spanish. On the flip they barely spoke English. I would think they would be more fluent in the English language seeing as when I was there, it was 90% Americans. There were two of us in the room and received two bath towels and on face cloth. Panama is very hot and humid. You will definitely need more than one shower a day. The tours were good. The rainforest, monkey island, and the canal. I would not recommend this to anyone. I was hoping for a better experience in Panama.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2008

They boast being a "5STAR" hotel! More than anything your staff makes you a 5 star hotel and their staff is TERRIBLE. It seems as though NO is their favorite word. I was told I could get change for the phone at the front desk, but when I Inquired they told me they had none without looking and sent me to the tour desk. The tour desk looked but had none and I was sent to the gift shop where I am sure they would have sent me somewhere else if not for a manager standing there. The food is so so and takes forever after you order. If you do find something you like chances are the next time you order it, it will be competely different. They are always out of something you had the day before or that morning, They will not look or ask anyone if there is any more just "NO" again. The main bar MONKEY BAR is filthy dirty. I mean the bar itself, old drink straws, peanuts, food crums where there the whole time we where there. The room was clean the day we arrived but daily the room was not cleaned well. The pool was nice. But not enough chairs and the pool bar was always running out of something and that was it for the day they would not restock. NO again. The tours are o.k. but over priced except the fishing, and the marina staff was much better. All in all Stay away and spend your money somewhere else they do not earn or deserve it

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 11 April 2008

I just came back from the Gamboa Rainforest Resort in Panama from my best friends wedding... and let me just say I am glad to be out of there. First off, the hotel is WAY overpriced. I payed $200.00 a night for a primitive hotel room that had a single window unit to cool off the insane heat, no insulation, broken windows, and as an added bonus bugs! Bugs that were menacing that I could not even identify. They encourage you not to kill any of the bugs that come to "visit" your suite however I don't see what else can be done when hornets are hovering in your room waiting for you to fall asleep. The service was terrible, their staff was completely apathetic they did not care about anything, see the mentality here is that this area is very beautiful but VERY isolated. They have you... you have no where to go (you are an hour away from any type of civilization) so they have this attitude that they can treat you like crap because where else can you go? Same mentality for the restaurants I payed $50.00 for a Shoney's breakfast buffet and the service again was horrible. Our party attempted to complain however the manager simply did not give a damn. Seriously, as a fellow latin american from Mexico I am ashamed to call myself Latin because these people are truly a-holes. I am no stranger to traveling Latin America and unfortunately these people were the worst. I am not the type of person to complain about anything... but this just took the cake... STAY AWAY from the Gamboa resort.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Montserrat_Mexico
Reviewed 11 April 2008

We stayed at the Gamboa resort for five days. The service was horrible. Everyone had a chip on their shoulder. The resort only offers a limited menu---you practically eat the same thing everyday. We were never able to find a lounge chair at the pool. One of the days we waited 1 hour and 15 minutes to get our lunch. This caused us to miss our activity that we had already paid for. We were not able to change our reservation or get our money back. We asked if we could leave early for a fee and we were told that we would have to pay the entire amount no matter what. We were roomed in their historical villas located away from the actual hotel. We had several issues with the room that were never adressed. The water was boiling hot or ice cold, the sheets were dirty and looked unwashed, and when we requested to have our sheets changed nobody ever showed up. We ended up staying an extra night in the city. We found a hotel that was clean and had friendly service and we ended up paying a fourth of what we paid to stay one night at the Gamboa. There is nothing located around the resort so you have to travel 30 minutes to the nearest store. The average cab fair to the city is 40 dollars per couple one way. This gets expensive fast. If you decide to go to Panama, do not stay at the Gamboa. You can get much more from your buck in the city. You can travel back to Gamboa to do their activities which is the only good thing this place has going for it. This is not a luxury resort. It's an overpriced motel.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YGCMG
Reviewed 10 April 2008

The place is absolutely beautiful, but the staff is not very friendly. You wait forever at the bar. You need to go to the buffet to get food because if you try to order something you will wait forever. I am a git fan of ecotourism so I was very excited to go there. When I asked were was the trail to go up the montain, they told me I was not allow to walk by myself. For our own security we had to take a guide at 25$ per person. O.K., I just hiked 3 national parks on my own during that week but can't do an hour walk in Gamboa by myself??? Get real! They charge you for EVERYTHING!

Food: I had much better food,including seafood, in small local restaurant across the country. For a 5 stars hotel, they could make an effort. And the all incusive buffet is... not included on Sundays. You have to walk a good fifteen minutes under a killing sun to go eat in another restaurant.

Pool: I am not a big pool fan so no big deal, but tis one is very small. People are fighting for the few chairs all day so it you want to go to the pool well, get ther at 9 am and don't move or you will loose the only spot available.

Summary: It's one of the most beautiful hotel I saw in my life but I would never, never go back. They always make you feel like they are trying to rob you. However I will go back to Panama for sure.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katelina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gamboa
The Westin Playa Bonita Panama
Radisson Colon 2000 Hotel & Casino
Hotel Riu Plaza Panama
Hotel Riu Plaza Panama
#21 of 115 in Panama City

Been to Gamboa Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!