I had read the reviews and said this hotel has issues and maybe isn't so bad. Maybe it is just people without the Central American experience of doing things backwards. As a person who travels to Central America a lot I offer the following review. The hotel is large and impressive situated in a little town called Gamboa 45 minutes from the city. The hotel tells everyone they are 5 star and in fact barely make 3 stars. Check in was fine room was clean and very basic with a large balcony. The food is basically ok and be prepared to pay for everything you do. Internet is $15.00 a day, drinks average almost $10.00 each with tip and the basic hamburger is over $10.00 with tip. BE PREPARED TO PAY $4.00 for a glass of milk for your child!! THEY WILL NOT TELL YOU BUT ASK FOR THE CHILD MENU IT IS MORE THAN HALF OF THE REGULAR MENU!! They do have a better restaurant and the food is basic just more expensive. Make sure when you book breakfast is included. Better yet call the 1-800 reservation number not only will you get a better rate you can negotiate breakfast. If you don't it will make the NYC city breakfast look cheap! Now some bad news DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT question a bill! If they make a mistake and you bill is wrong you question it you will be labeled a troublemaker and service is even less than the non existant service you already receive! If you need soap around dinner time be prepare for the front desk to tell the housekeeping is eating dinner and will be available in about a half hour. I assume this is Gamboa's 5 star treatment. Be prepared when you ask to speak with the manager the front desk will do everything possible to make you believe he is not there. Ask the tour desk they will help you! The free tours are excellent! ASK FOR GABRIEL HE IS AWESOME!!! HE will take you kayaking in the river and the night tours are a must! He is also a wealth of knowledge and is passionate about his job! So if you are going to stay here I would offer the following tips. 1. Do not stay for more than 2 nights! 2. Be prepared to open your wallet for the best nickel and dimming time. 3. Go to the little town of Gamboa they have a little store beers .80 with bottle, soda .50 and snacks, personal supplies, cigs etc are dirt cheap! The town is very safe. 4. Do the tours with Gabriel. 5. Do the $35.00 1 hour monkey tour! You will feel bad not giving Gamboa more of your money for an overpriced tour. 6. Do the areil lift. 7. Go see the butterfly , fish, orchard and snake exhibit. 8 TAKE THE EMBRA INDIAN TOUR!!!!! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT! 9 Relax at their large pool with waterfall! 10. REMEMBER SATURDAY ONLY IS THE CANAL TOUR IT IS A MUST!!! Would I stay here again??? I think I have seen it and could enjoy El Valle or Playa Coronado more and still enjoy all the above tours with day trips! Just my thoughts and opinions!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Deep in the heart of the Panamanian rainforest lies the completely unique Gamboa Rainforest Resort. This magnificent destination rests where the scenic Chagres River meets the Panama Canal and is the only resort property in the area. Few places on earth offer such an amazing natural experience while providing an unsurpassed level of luxury. Escape the noise and hectic pace of everyday life and surround yourself with the tranquility of the mystical Soberania National Forest. Here, just a short 30-minute ride from Panama City, on 340 acres overlooking the stunning Panama Canal, you can commune with nature in a pristine environment where explorers and pirates once tread. Our Panama Tours offer an exhilarating variety of jungle adventures such as an aerial tram, guided boat tours, fishing expeditions, and much more. Our tours are designed to show you wildlife in its natural setting amidst the colorful splendor of the jungle flora. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Gamboa Rainforest Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gamboa Rainforest Hotel Gamboa
- Gamboa Rain Forest Resort