“Gorgeous Gamboa” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gamboa
Pennsylvania
“Gorgeous Gamboa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

Gamboa Resort is absolutly beautiful. My husband and I had the pleasure of staying there a few weeks ago. It was such a different experience for us staying in the middle of the rain forest, just amazing. Peaceful, quiet with stunning views from the rooms. The pool was so very beautiful with a foot long waterfall down the lengh of the pool A very tranquil, relaxing place to spend some time. We are independent travelers who found the distance from Panama City challanging. We would take the bus from Gamboa town, which definitely had it's own schelude, to Albrook bus terminal and then taxi it to various parts of town. We were able to go to Miraflores locks, Ancol Hill, Panama Viejo, Summit Gardens, Mi Pueblito, Casco Viejo, and the Amador Causeway. The taxi drivers, for the most part, do not speak English and you have to negotiate your price prior to getting in the taxi so this part is tricky. Luckily my son, who was with us, speaks some Spanish. We would then taxi back to Albrook bus terminal and bus it back to Gamboa. If you are on a budget staying at Gamoa may not be the place for you. The restauant and bars are expensive, especially compared to Panama City! We did not take any tours but heard they were good. Depending on your situation, I would highly recommend Gamboa Resort.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marialaffy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

I really find it difficult to believe that there are a (few) gripes about this place.

Have literally just returned (2 hours ago) from our 14 day tour holiday courtesy of Virgin Holidays. 3 nights Panama City, followed by 4 nights at the Gamboa, and then 7 nights at the Royal Decameron. I'll write my reviews on the other hotels later.

I feel quite privileged to have been able to travel extensively over the past 35 years and this resort will go down as one of my favourites.

I can honestly say that our time at the Gamboa was just brilliant. We had a very large room overlooking the Chagres River and the view from our room was just amazing.

We took the Monkey Island tour and the Aerial Tram and perhaps these trips may have been a little bit expensive but the £ -v- $ probably hasn't helped. I did, however, enjoy both trips but wished that the Monkey Island one was a bit longer as I didn't get to see any Howler monkeys!!

For anyone thinking about booking a holiday at the Gamboa - weigh up the reviews - you will find loads positive stuff written about the resort. As one who is not easily pleased - I can honestly say, hand on heart, that the resort far exceeded my expectations in every respect (apart from those Howler monkeys!)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank panama_patti
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

This was one of the most amazing places that I have ever been! The grounds were amazing. The adventures were wonderful. We took off early in the morning for a self-guided hike and it was beautiful! Monkeys, ant eaters, camen, toucans, and blue morph butterflies! When it became too hot we stayed in the pool. We had a rental car, so we took night drives. This is so close to Panama City, yet you feel completely isolated. The monkey island trip was worth the money. They had many free activities. The only complaint was the very slow service and the price of food. Also, the deck and hammock needed to be cleaned. I would recommend this to families looking for an adventure and anyone who loves wildlife! I would be more than happy to answer any questions on this place!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
pointe claire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

We spent four weeks at the Royal Decameron in Farallon ,( good food, good golf, good times) and then spent our last week in Gamboa at the Rain Forest Hotel.
I loved it! My husband, not so much, but he finds it a bit boring if there is not a golf course on his doorstep!

The staff were very helpful and courteous at all times and the accomodations were lovely, especially the hammock on the balcony overlooking the Chagres River.

The food was very well presented and the restaurant down by the river is a great place for lunch and watching the ships go by on the canal.
All in all a very relaxing week before coming back to snow and drizzle. Now, if they could only find a way for the mosquitos to get lost, it would be quite perfect.
Oh, by the way, the villas....Not too pretty outside, a bit old...opt for the hotel rooms instead.

2 Thank welltravelled090
San Antonio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at Gamboa for part of our honeymoon and we loved it. Like other reviews have mentioned, the service in Panama is what some consider bad. If you learn to accept that and not get frustrated, you will have a fabulous time. Gamboa is in the middle of no where, so you are stuck on the property, but there is plenty to do. I would suggest stopping at the store and grabbing some groceries before you go. I would grab sandwhich stuff, drinks, and maybe some granola bars for brkfast. That way you can eat out for dinner and cut down on the cost. You can also grab some beer; since the drinks at the bar are expensive, but the green frog drinks are really good. Just keep in mind where you are and stroll around the property. We saw a tucan and some little monkeys; along with alot of other colorful birds. Remember it's Panama and you will have a blast.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travelingtexan537
Saratoga
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2009

We read all of the reviews and were very hesitant to stay here, but in hindsight I am glad we did. You just have to understand where you are going. First, a word about the service. Yes, the service is bad. The service in Panama is different than it is in the US and Europe, and it's not great compared to what most people traveling there are used to. That said, the Rainforest Resort seems a tick worse than the country in general. A word of warning, they add a 10% "tip" to all meals without asking. This is then pooled by the hotel and the staff supposedly gets their cut. I told our servers I wouldn't pay it, and instead gave them a 10% to 20% tip that went to them (not the hotel) depending on how good they were individually. Regarding the service staff, some were very good, some were very bad. When we got there, it was 2:35 PM, and we were told no rooms were ready. The girl at the desk pointed at a sign that said check-in time was 3:00 pm. I asked for a manager and just said, are you serious??? So we dropped 5 big suitcases in the lobby and camped out to wait for our room. Somehow, about 5 minutes later, a room was ready and the manager came to get us. Some people have complained about the cost. We looked to reserve on their website and that was $425/night. No way it is worth that. Through Travelocity, we got rooms for $225/night with the third night free. It is definitely worth that. The restaurant is overpriced, and the food is not fantastic. It's not as horrendous as some of the reviews would lead you to believe, but it's adequate. You are also isolated and far away from everything, so you really have no choice but to eat there. The lobby and common areas are very nice. The pool was fantastic. I would also recommend spending a little time in the library upstairs. They have a few interesting things about Panama in there. For the tours, we did the monkey island tour, which was good, and the indian village which I highly recommend. Some people have complained here about bugs, bats, lizards, whatever. Here's a clue folks, you are staying in the rainforest. If you don't want to see bugs and lizards, stay somewhere else. The room was comfortable and clean. We stayed on the top floor and had a great view. I know in a couple of reviews here, there were some compaints about the hammock. All you have to do is reach up and unhook it and take it down if you don't like it?? Personally I liked it, it was relaxing swinging on the balcony.

All in all, it's a good place for families if you understand that you are staying in a rainforest in Panama.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank PanamaMatt
San Salvador
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2009

Just returned from our stay at the Gamboa Rainforest Resort with my family (2 boys, 7 and 3 year old)
The resort is perfect for 2 or 3 days. About 40 minutes from Panama City. You are right in the Rainforest and next to the Panama Canal.
The rooms are big and comfortable. 2 Double Beds, terrace with a hammock overlooking the whole property and the river, and a big bathroom.
The food there is good. The pool is huge and perfect for kids.
Two Highlights of our trip; first, the kayak ride with my 7 year old on the Chagres River. We got to see all kinds of exotic animals including crocodiles, howller monkeys, and we got real close to the Panama Canal and the big ships.
The second was the tour to Monkey Island. They take you on a boat to the Panama Canal, and to this island where you get to feed the Howler Monkeys by hand. It was amazing. My kids loved it.
All in all, I definetely recommend this resort for families.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank riccoq
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gamboa
The Westin Playa Bonita Panama
#22 of 116 in Panama City
Grace Panama
Grace Panama
#1 of 116 in Panama City

Been to Gamboa Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!