“Paradise Found”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gamboa
Riverview, FL
“Paradise Found”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2010

We stayed at the resort the first week of May 2010. My ONLY complaint is the directions on how to get there from the airport on the website. It is very cryptic at best. But it allowed us an unscheduled tour of Panama City before finding our way. I am glad we arrived in the day time. I recommend getting a rental car. There is plenty to see and do in the area. And you can stop by Rey Supermarket (next to Albrook Airport) and get some food and beverage to help save a little money.

We liked the Monkey Island Tour at the resort. We also did the Pipeline Road/Discovery Center/Observation Tower on our own. We went to Colon inadvertently while trying to get to Portobella and Isla Grande (Carribean side). We had to turn back because there are no gas stations there.

The rooms were spacious and clean. The grounds maintained very beautifully. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I thought the food was at best OK. My wife thought the food was great. Los Lagartos was the best of the options. I liked the food better at the Albrook Mall food court. That should give you an idea of my sense of taste. At times it seemed like we were the only people in the resort and other times 4-5 buses of people showed up for dinner and/or tours. The pool was very clean.

My favorite thing about the whole stay was the incredible view from the balcony. And we were only on the second floor. The view was a bit different every morning because of the rain clouds and mist. I looked forward to it every morning with the coffee provided in the room. I think it was called Duran and I will be looking for it.

Panama and the Gamboa Resort is very very beautiful.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2010

First I have to say that we just went for the day and didn't stay so I'm not an expert on the rooms. This is part of the old American Canal Zone and there was US housing on this site, some of which you pass on the way in to the hotel. That sets the sene for a hotel that is reminscent of a Cuban all-inclusive hotel or a 3-Star Club Med. The setting is amazing with fabulous views of the Chagres River and rain forest, but the facilities are all looking rather tired. That said, the service was helpful and friendly, and the tours that they organise are fantastic.

We did the aerial tramway through the rain forest and climbed the tower to the canopy. Good knowledgeable guides made this an amazing trip, and the return to the hotel via the orchids, crocodiles and butterlflies was a great bonus. We saw wild toucans on the way down and heard Howler Monkeys when it started to rain.

Lunch was a rubbish 3 Star buffet in a tired dining room with old furniture. Perfectly edible though.

Afternoon was a trip to Monkey Island in a small boat with another really good guide and we got to travel along a couple of miles of the Panama Canal on the way, passing an enormous freighter. We saw juvenile crocodiles, white-faced capucins, and a two-toed sloth. A really great trip.

There are other trips available, including kayaking and fishing. I would be tempted to risk the 3 star trip, and stay overnight and do more excursions. The lakeside restaurant was a great location, but looked like a municipal canteen. The pools at the main hotel were good.

Overall I think this a great place and a must-visit in Panama. It does need urgent updating, but the tours and guides are world class. I recommend you go, but wear your low-expectations hat for the food and hotel rooms and public areas. It's worth it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Clarenville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

I spent 5 nights here, and thoroughly enjoyed the experiences associated with its location.
I walked around the exhibits provided by the hotel (fish, reptiles, orchids, walking trails), and enjoyed sightings of local wildlife (lizards, turtles, agouti, capybara, herons, hummingbirds, and innumerable small songbirds)
The tours organized through the hotel were more reasonable than those provided through the tour operator (Sunwing) and, judging by comments from other guests, the quality was comparable. I did the Embera Village tour and the Birdwatching tour, as well as the free kayaking and night viewing tours.
The pool was lovely: spacious and well-kept.
The rooms are looking a little shabby: walls need repainting, linens look their age. The room I was given had a shower that didn't drain properly and flooded the room (no divider, just a slight sloping floor), but at my insistence they found me another room where everything worked.
Nightlife is almost non-existent; I only saw the disco open once, and the quiet little bar did have a live performer one evening. The hotel giftshop is tiny, and the nearby town is almost equally tiny. However, I didn't go there expecting clubs or shopping malls.
Most of the staff were quite pleasant, and spoke adequate English to deal with travellers who were mainly American, Canadian, or British.
This is a great opportunity for families or individuals who want to experience the diverse and fascinating flora and fauna of Panama.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank centralNFLD
Varsseveld, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

Hotel is located in a beautiful surrounding. Main building is very nice. We had an appartment in one of the cottages. Could use some paint, but roomy and clean. Shower gives some hot water, once you found out how it works. AC is loud but working ok. Breakfast is excellent. Lunch and diner from the menu also ok. Diner Buffet should be avoided. You can make several trips. We did the Pipeline Road (saw howler monkeys, sloths, several birds etc), the Aerial Tram (not so exciting, but with a very nice view at the top) and Monkey island (nice boat ride, saw howlers, capucin monkeys, crocodiles etc).

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Walter077
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2010

We stayed at Gamboa for 3 nights (which is enough). The resort is lovely, and I would recommend staying in a room that faces the river (which faces east) if you enjoy waking up to the sun and seeing it’s warm reflection on a river. The rooms are clean, and have aesthetically pleasing décor. If I had to sum up the resort I would say it is relaxing, almost zen-like, and a great place to get away from any hussle and bustle you may have at home. The pool was large, surrounded by lounge chairs, and a bar. It was also large enough so that you didn’t have people on top of you. It also has a large kiddie pool area.
I’ve read elsewhere on Tripadvisor, that the food was pricey, and I thought that may not be my perception, because I’m from New York, and pricey might be a relative thing. But I have to say the food was pricey for what you received. The food wasn’t really bad, but it wasn’t great, and you are dropping quite a lot at each meal. You also have no choice but to eat at the resort because there is nothing around. So be prepared to over pay for mediocre buffets (although everything seemed fresh, but not always hot).
They also offered a variety of tours (some free, some at a cost) that you can arrange at the main building. We had taken the aerial tram canopy ride with a guide ($55 per person). We saw no animals, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. We have travelled to almost every other Central American country, and I have found the best way to see animals is often on horseback with a guide. My husband did the monkey island tour for a fee which he said was worth it because he saw lots of animals up close. We did 3 free tours --- a guided walk, a night safari and a kayak tour – which I recommend because you can’t be free and they were fun.
I also had a Swedish massage at the Spa. It was very good, relaxing with the background “music” of birds, and I thought a good value for $70.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TeacherNYNY
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

This place is amazing. Only 30 minutes outside of Panama City and you are in the middle of the rain forest!

Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Kingfisher007
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

This hotel is one of a kind, you get the luxury and relaxation of a beach resort but in a new setting with lots of beautiful and amazing things to discover. You can't get bored at this resort as there are numerous excursions to do everyday (both free and for a fee). I recommend the free kayaking in the river, its a great way to see some of the wildlife as a slow and relaxing pace. I would also recommend the Radio Station Observation Tour, it is well worth the $50 as you get to participate in a short hike to see some of the old American WWII buildings and feed some monkeys all while taking a great boat ride on the canal to see some of the container ships. The service at the hotel is superior, our hotel room was beautiful as we were in the newer section of the resort (room 322). The food is fresh and very nicely prepared. Having an a la carte dinner at the Chagres Riverview restaurant is very romantic! A definite must! an having lunch at Los Lagartos near the marina is quite an experience as you can watch the turtles and crocadiles while you have lunch. The pool by the Cascades Pool Bar is amazing! A refreshing break from the HOT panamanian sun! There is tons of wildlide to see around the resort if you choose to go looking but you can also steer clear and just chill out by the beautiful pool :o) All in all a great vacation, similar to going to an all inclusive beach resort but with a new setting and tons of things to do. I say that Panama is convienent because the water is very safe to drink, it is safe, they use the same voltage as Canada and the US so there is no need for a voltage converter and the plane ride (from Toronto) is only 5 hours.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gamboa
The Westin Playa Bonita Panama
#26 of 116 in Panama City
Melia Panama Canal
Melia Panama Canal
#1 of 9 in Colon

Been to Gamboa Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!