We were on an almost all inclusive package with Sunwing departing from Toronto Canada. We enjoyed a wonderful week at Gamboa Rainforest Resort staying in one of the historic villas just a short walk from the main resort buildings. The washroom has been renovated with a huge shower stall equipped with a rainshower showerhead. Lots of hot water and clean clear water (no smells). The king sized bed was very comfortable and all towels, linens, pillows etc. were great. There were no smells, bugs etc. in the villa although they were constructed for the Panama Canal workers (old but repainted). The maids did a good job cleaning the villa. We found the outside of the windows needs to be cleaned which would give a better view of the Agouti and birds that seemed to surround the villa.
The check in and check out was fast and smooth. The staff at the restaurants, and bars was all very friendly and attentive. We did not encounter any problems with refilling of the water, coffee, wine etc. The buffet food was tasty but the selections were somewhat fewer than you would expect from a resort this size. We dined at the a la carte restaurant (Chagres River View) twice. We were provided with great service and food. Try the steak , it is perfectly cooked and very tasty.
There are a lot of birds e.g. Toucans, parrots etc. especially around the historic villas early in the morning i.e. from sunrise to about 7:30 am. There are also a lot of animals around the resort e.g. Agoutis, Capybaras, Sloth, Coati etc. We also saw crocodiles, caimans, turtles and iguanas from the restaurant (Los Lagartos) by the Chagres River. We were also lucky in seeing the Oceania Marina sail by on her maiden voyage transiting the canal (see picture) all without getting out of our seat at lunch.
There is free Wi-Fi in the lobby area. This means that you can enjoy a cool drink while surfing/emailing. We took a local bus to Albrook Mall (65 cents per person) and a taxi back to the resort ($12 it is air-conditioned). The Mall is huge with some good quality clothes, shoes etc. at reasonable prices.
We enjoyed our one week of relaxing vacation and attached some pictures for your enjoyment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Deep in the heart of the Panamanian rainforest lies the completely unique Gamboa Rainforest Resort. This magnificent destination rests where the scenic Chagres River meets the Panama Canal and is the only resort property in the area. Few places on earth offer such an amazing natural experience while providing an unsurpassed level of luxury. Escape the noise and hectic pace of everyday life and surround yourself with the tranquility of the mystical Soberania National Forest. Here, just a short 30-minute ride from Panama City, on 340 acres overlooking the stunning Panama Canal, you can commune with nature in a pristine environment where explorers and pirates once tread. Our Panama Tours offer an exhilarating variety of jungle adventures such as an aerial tram, guided boat tours, fishing expeditions, and much more. Our tours are designed to show you wildlife in its natural setting amidst the colorful splendor of the jungle flora. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gamboa Rainforest Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gamboa Rainforest Hotel Gamboa
- Gamboa Rain Forest Resort