“What a fun place to explore”

MAIA Luxury Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Louis
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Maia for five nights back in May/June. As you'd imagine, this is one of those places that manages to exceed all expectations. The idea of a personal attendant seemed to be excessive upon first arrival but that fear passed as the staff are extremely adept at making you feel at home...a really, really nice home.

We stayed in one of the few beachfront villas. it was fantastic. Ocean waves could be heard thought your private yard and into the bedroom. There was more than enough privacy for my liking but I can see why they offer more remote locations for those seeking total solitude. I wouldn't have traded in the beachfront room for anything. It was a pure joy.

From past reviews I got the feeling that this resort tried to keep you onsite. I like to explore and that was my one hesitation (aside from price). Let me dispel that idea. The Maia staff were happy to assist in getting a rental car and offering great places to explore.

We visited almost all the beaches on Mahe (Praslin and La Digue too). The beach right in front of your door is truly exceptional, even by the high standards of the Seychelles. While the ocean waves are strong, it's easy and fun to swim. They even have staff monitoring swimmers but I think it's mostly for a sense of security should the unexpected occur.

The restaurant was great too. While we did eat out once, we found the food and wine to be well above my expectations. Yea, the peppercorn fish was amazing. I'd go back just for that. The spa was excellent but I prefer a swim in the ocean any day.

Things I enjoyed most were; the breakfast served on the patio or by the beach, the room itself, the chef in the restaurant who made my wife's day by cooking vegetarian dishes like that was his gift to this world, and being able to walk into the ocean whenever the mood struck.

Room Tip: Rooms by the beach have a grassy yard and beach access but also lack a tiny bit of privacy. I loved...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank matblk
There are newer reviews for MAIA Luxury Resort & Spa

Reviewed 18 September 2012

If I had to describe the Maia place in word I would use EXCEPTIONAL in big bold characters.
Maia is not a hotel it's a place where all your senses are activated... You are dreaming with open eyes...
The location is amazing, the villas are outstanding, the facilities are fabulous I don't even know how I could describe this incredible experience I had there.

First of all we had a pick up arranged - a wonderful lady from the hotel came to pick us up right that the bottom of the plane. She was waiting for us with a VIP pass. Once we took our luggage we were transferred in a luxurious car.
Once we arrived at the welcome pavilion the director of the hotel greeted us.
We were then taken to our villa in a golf cart. Once in our villa we did our check in and we were assigned a private and personalized butler.
She opened the door of the villa and said "welcome home" - once again I was extremely touched by this.
The kind size bed was facing the huge full length windows overlooking the amazing Indian ocean.
The bathroom had a shower with windows everywhere and there was a huge tub in a hut outside of the villa.
The amenities where La Prairie (very posh)!

Each villa are VERY private we never saw our neighbors. The restaurant was amazing and our romantic dinner in Villa was beyond expectations.

We also tried to spa - and once again it was a dream - the massage ladies are all from Bali (they even have a Maia school of massages in Maia where they are trained to do a Maia signature massage).

One UNIQUE point is the butler - before arriving at the hotel you have to fill in a sort of questionnaire that tells them more about you and then they assign you someone. It is just not a butler it becomes then a person part of your family of your friendship circle. Our butler was constantly reading our minds - she would always do something to surprise us and it would always be something that we would want deep inside ourselves... just amazing.

I travel a lot since years and to be honest I have ever experienced this before neither after - the synonym of this place is "PERFECTION".

I cannot recommend enough to go there...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Malvina31
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We travelled to Maia in June this year for the 2nd part of our honeymoon.
Overall, the weather was wonderful with mainly blue skies and high temperatures. However, we did have 1 day of rain and a few other days when it was quite cloudy with the occasional shower but it was always warm.
The resort is about 35-45 minutes drive from the main Seychelles airport and we were met by someone on arrival and transferred immediately.
We stayed in a signature villa (think it was 205) which was very spacious and had its own butler, who was available 24 hours a day. Indra, our butler, was incredibly efficient and tended to our every need with professionalism and kindness. He really helped to make our stay perfect.
The villa had its own private small beach although we didnt really use it as the tide was always in at the times that we felt like going down to it.
We took advantage of the in-villa dining services most days for all meals but went to the restaurant for dinner on one evening. The hotel wasnt that busy so it was a little quiet but the food and wine was good. We took advantage of the in-villa barbeque experience on two of the evenings which was great. The food was cooked in front of you by one of the chefs and you had a wide range of meat, fish and vegetables to choose from. It was delicious and I would highly recommend it.
The villa has a private pool which was ideal for an early morning swim before breakfast which could be served on the terrace or in our villa. I had a couple of private yoga lessons which I really enjoyed having never tried it before. The instructor came to the villa and I had the lesson on our terrace, overlooking the pool and sea. Wonderful.
We had a couple of massages in the spa, while we were there. The therapists were good but we were outside on one occasion which was quite muggy and there were a few mosquitos buzzing round my head which wasnt that relaxing.
I agree with previous reviewers that mosquitos are quite prevalent so be sure so use some repellent.
I would say that the resort is similar in terms of service to somewhere like, Naladhu in Maldives, but the island is much more green and tropical hence why there are more mosquitos.
Overall we had a fantastic time and would recommend to anyone looking for a holiday that gives you privacy and luxury.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LondonLizH
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Seychelles is paradise which makes Maia paradise in paradise. Definitely my best holiday so far and what a great start to married life! The hotel manager opened my car door when we arrived and introduced himself. The villas, spa, food, beach, service, everything is excellent. The service received from Raphaela our butler and other staff was second to none. Michellin star food with a choice of 6 cuisines daily - and the chef can make any dish for you if you let them know 1 day in advance. Suggest you visit off peak especially for couples as it's quieter although i'm sure the service is just as great during peak times. MAIA is known for excellence in Seychelles!

Room Tip: For couples the views from the villas up the hill are stunning and the villas are very private.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LondonSach
Reviewed 9 August 2012

MAIA is a gem hidden in a very private and gorgeous area! The service is superb - the hostess welcomed us at the airport and had the hotel's private car drive us to the resort were 2 high managers came down to welcome us.

The resort has no lobby area, instead (and this makes it very special and personal), the person in charge came to our villa with the paperwork.

You can have their chef cook your private BBQ at your villa or in a very romantic spot on the beach (the BBQ is excellent). The restaurant by the beach is also really nice and serves very good food.

The very spacious / very clean / very well decorated villa has 2 terraces: one overlooking the private infinity pool and the ocean, the other having a private outdoor shower and a huge bathtub.

Samantha, our private butler, was super helpful and did everything in her power to make our stay perfect - thank you Sam.

Tips:

- The weather in July was a bit cloudy with some rain (but the temperature was perfect at 28°C/ 82°F), so if you like a more "summery" weather go in March /April.
- Its is crucial that you get mosquito repellent or else you'd leave Seychelles scratching!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suzysuzanne
Clive F, Public Relations Manager at MAIA Luxury Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Dear Suzysuzanne,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Maia Luxury Resort & Spa.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you were very happy with the facilities available at the resort as well as with the service level of our team.

It was indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,

Clive Figaro on behalf of Frederic Vidal (Hotel Manager)

Reviewed 1 July 2012

We've spent our 10-day vacation at Maia this year and I have to admit - our expectations were exceeded in every possible way. First off - amazing natural beauty Maia is doing its best to preserve, very friendly and helpful staff, great spa, delicious food and the beach which was pretty much empty most of the time. Our butler - Handrick - went above and beyond anything his job description could've possibly been. Our special thanks go out to him for making our holiday most enjoyable. About the only annoyance was caused by the mosquitos, but hey, it's their jungle too, so bring your own insect repellent :)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank peathegreen
Reviewed 6 May 2012

At luxury resorts people are used to excellent spas, nice locations, immaculate service, good food and paradize-looking beach. All of the above is present at Maia Resort. But there are things that need special attention. The most striking feature at Maia presently is a truly stunning chef, and very sincere hospitality of the buttlers, who attend to the villas. A gift of fresh lemongrass and handmade breadfruite chips as a farewell present was very touching.
Improvements, can be made at Maia, of course. For example it is advisable to quit using internal combustion engine buggies, the only visible reminders of modern urban life :)

Room Tip: ask for hill villas
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Four Seasons Resort Seychelles
Constance Ephelia
Constance Ephelia
#6 of 35 in Mahe Island

Been to MAIA Luxury Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!