Ashburnham is a lovely tea plantation 'bungalow' - full of old world charm. It's a little worn around the edges but to be honest for me that just adds to the charm.
It's a long winding climb up the hill from Kandy but once you get there, it is a brilliant blend of breathtaking and chilled out. From the verandah (where you will spend most of your time, I'm sure) the knuckles mountains are in view: tea is served almost constantly by the every present and ever friendly Vish - within minutes we felt 'settled in'.
Peter and Mozelle, the hosts, are friendly, chatty, but give you plenty of space. We were really looked after. The hospitality of these guys and their team are really what makes this place special (oh, and the view!) You really felt that they couldn't do enough for you.
Drawbacks? The food wasn't quite as good as the reviews would suggest - don't get me wrong it is good but as we travelled around Sri Lanka we did find better. A lot of it was excellent, but some of it didn't quite hit the spot, and given that (given its locale) there are few food choices to be had, this is a drawback to be considered, particularly if you are staying for more than a couple of days.
The dogs are lovely, and kept our daughter company throughout our stay.
But all in all the location, the friendliness of the team and the chilled out atmosphere makes Ashburnham a place we would definitely return to.
its a good 30 minutes back into Kandy, but easily done in a day trip. there are lovely walks, and even a waterfall to swim in on the grounds. The bungalow is surrounded by the tea plantation so a 'tea tour' can be squeezed in to even the shortest itinerary.
A really good stop, and so much better to be in Elkaduwa than in Kandy. A very special place that made us feel instantly relaxed and chilled out and at home. thanks Peter and Mozelle and all of the team!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the foothills of the Knuckles Mountain Range, between the Cultural Triangle and Kandy, our 98 acre tea estate, offers guests a perfect location for exploring Sri Lanka's famous sites.Alternatively Ashburnham Estate, offers you the perfect spot to unwind. Relax on the veranda and enjoy the stunning views and magical sunsets. Or cool off in our swimming pool, 60 foot waterfall or Cascade Pool.With such lush natural surroundings there is ample opportunity to walk through our working tea estate, and help the ladies picking, or onto the hills to enjoy spectacular views.Our original 1930’s Principal Planter’s bungalow, offers 4 double rooms, a family room and our luxurious Ashburnham Suite; all beautifully decorated to offer unique character.So, what are you waiting for, come and enjoy the beauty of Ashburnham Estate. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LateRooms and Priceline so you can book your Ashburnham Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ashburnham Estate Hotel Elkaduwa
- Ashburnham Estate Sri Lanka/Elkaduwa