All reviewstea plantationcooking classsri lankaother guestsafternoon teaone tree hillmr dasprivate waterfallthe managersguest housestunning viewshidden gemwatching the sunsetfamily roomgreat funopen firefood is excellent
Reviewed 9 April 2016

Overflowing with character and charm, Ashburnham is out of the pages of a novel. Nestled in a remote hilltop haven of tranquility, atop a working tea plantation, is an old style homestead with views all over the hill country (and especially west towards the sunset.) The staff are engaging and enthusiastic, nothing is too much trouble and everything is done to a very high standard.
As well as the accomodation, Ashburnham provides a few distractions, just in case having a few days sheltered from the 21st Century isn't appealing enough. (Before I list them, I should point out that free Wi-fi and TV is provided, so you don't have to feel as remote as you probably want to.) We enjoyed a guided tour of the tea estate and factory, plus a Sri Lankan cooking lesson, as well as a pool and natural waterfall. There was a tennis court and gardens, plus several maps/guides for nearby hiking.
Breakfast was provided. Lunch and Dinner were available for an additional fee, which was surprisingly reasonable. ($15 US for a two course meal, $18 for a three course), with a pretty good list of options which differed each day AND the chef was more than willing to accomodate to whatever requirements or fancies you have on the day.
We were very sad to leave!

Room Tip: Most rooms are accessed via the main hall, but some have separate external enterances and private balconies.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
AshburnhamEstate, Director of Sales at Ashburnham Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2016

Thank you very much for your lovely review and we're delighted that you had such a full and enjoyable stay with us up in the hills. Do come back and visit us again next time you are back. Best wishes, The Ash team.

Reviewed 6 April 2016

Visiting Ashburnham is like stepping back in to the Colonial Era. We arrived at sunset to be presented with gin & tonics on the verandah, and were then shown to our large and beautiful double bedroom complete with its own balcony (with a different view from the verandah, giving us opportunity to enjoy both aspects). The bathroom was nicely appointed with toiletries provided. The hosts are extremely obliging, the food was delicious, and the grounds are stunning (particularly the two waterfalls). We enjoyed the tea tour activity - very interesting. It is extremely tranquil - you feel as though you're the only people around (though that means you need to allow the funds to pay for all meals / activities there).
We had the most perfect 3 nights there and are plotting how we can return.

Room Tip: All rooms looked perfect.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. It was fantastic having you to stay and do let know if we can help in your plans for your next trip. Best wishes, the Ash team.

Reviewed 6 April 2016

Our family stay at Ashburnham was an amazing and very relaxing experience. The house is fabulous and the rooms extremely comfortable and spacious. The food was excellent and staff very attentive and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. The children really enjoyed swimming in the pool and the beautiful waterfall on the estate. We breakfasted every morning on the verandah taking in the breathtaking views of the plantation and beyond. The tour of the tea plantation and meeting the people who harvest the tea was fascinating. We would definitely like to come back again for longer.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review. We really appreciate it. We are so glad that you all had a lovely stay and we all enjoyed having you as well! You would be very welcome to come back for longer next time and do some more exploring. Best wishes, The Ash Team.

Reviewed 4 April 2016

I was informed of the elevation of Ashburnham, but, like many other facts and figures I learned about it during my stay there, it must have wafted over me in a cloud of seeming unimportance. Suffice it to say that there many be many other places physically closer to heaven, but none which really capture the spirit as well as Ashburnham. This was my second visit to the property, staying for a (very) long weekend in the middle of March, and if I have anything to do with it, it certainly will not be my last. In my opinion there is no better view on earth than sitting on the terrace, watching the sun set through the trees, or when the mist rolls along the valley, or the glistening green freshness after a (heaven forbid) rain shower. True magic.
If the setting was not enough reason to plan a visit, then the staff and facilities available surely are. I was advised that the property was originally a tea plantation manager's house - those boys certainly knew how to live well! The bedrooms are idyllic - just as one would imagine life in the 1930s, with comfortable 4 poster beds, period furniture and generous-sized en-suite facilities. None of your anaemic modern hotel chain stuff anywhere in sight.
The food was of exceptional quality and abundant - I often found myself skipping lunch in order to enjoy dinner all the more. I particularly liked the way the management varied the seating arrangements at dinner so one got to know one's travelling companions and listen to their travelling experiences, or simply ate with one's own group. During my stay there, I didn't meet one guest who was other than fulsome in their praise of the place.
I also found the management attentive without being intrusive, always being in the right place at the right time when one wanted that afternoon cup of tea or essential beer to enjoy the sunset. Their knowledge of the local area, and willingness and ability to suggest and arrange different excursions, was extremely helpful during my stay.
Travel can often disappoint, with the reality of the actual not living up to the hype of the glossy brochure. Not so with Ashhburnham - your foretaste of heaven is assured.

Room Tip: All are good
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2016

Ashburnham Estate is awesome, the location is incredible it sits in midst of a tea plantation with views that are so beautiful you could just sit and breathe them in and while the day away.

The management were fab, they were so welcoming, a lot of fun to chat to and get advice from as well as being happy to sort out day trips around my needs. To top it off the food was yummy the personal highlight was a BBQ buffet with a makeshift BBQ made of palm trees!

Would whole-heartedly recommend.