Never has a hotel made me feel so welcome. We were treated as special guests and even as friends. Our perfect 5 night stay at Hunas is among the top hotel experiences of my lifetime. We came for the nature, but it was the kind and caring people working at this lovely hotel that made our trip so special.
This comfortable retreat is remotely located about an hour north of Kandy on an accessible but rugged road. (* See below for details on transport and transport costs.) Our Deluxe room was large and pleasant with a comfortable queen-sized bed and a large private balcony. The spacious bath had a nice shower/tub with hot water and a pretty vanity. Everything we needed was provided.
There are many lovely walks around the hotel, showing off the gorgeous views and wildlife. The hotel offers an impressive variety of activities and excursions. We recommend the head massage! Don't miss the short hike to Shaheen peak for truly stunning views of the entire valley below. Hikes can be done with or without the naturalist, but in either case, leech socks are a must. Pick them up from reception.
The food at Hunas is delicious. Both Sri Lankan and western dishes are well-prepared and with a homey touch. We enjoyed good wine, an extensive menu, and especially loved the morning breakfast buffet.
Location aside, it is the staff that makes this hotel so outstanding. Gracious, kind, confident, and attentive, the Hunas team happily goes about exceeding the expectations of its guests. Housekeeping paid close attention to when we breakfasted, so that our room was always immaculately clean by the time we returned. Mention a favorite Sri Lankan specialty, and you will be asked if it can be special ordered for you for your next meal. If you take an interest in something, they will do what they can to oblige, and they'll make it fun along the way. To the staff at Hunas, bravo for your outstanding quality of service! We can't wait to come and stay again.
* A note on transport. Prices are surprisingly high for short-term private cars & vans, and we found the rates to be consistent among operators. The standard one-way rate from Kandy to Hunas is currently 2500 rupees (~US$25). The rate between Airport & Hunas is 8500 each way (6000 each way for Airport & Kandy) and this can be arranged with the taxi service at the Airport, and again at the hotel for your return. We tried switching in Kandy to get cheaper fares, but it actually cost us more and took longer. We did have good luck one day taking a local bus/train combo into Kandy. Less than US$1 apiece between Hunas and Kandy, and a fun, memorable trip! Ask around for bus & train times. Currently a bus stops by the Hunas hotel at 10am and gets you to the train at Wattegama in time for an 11am departure to Kandy. Be prepared for many curious onlookers!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A score of spectacular waterfalls tumble down over rocks and precipices throughout the cool high country of Sri Lanka. Among them is Hunas Falls, which derives its name from Hunasgiriya Peak, the forest covered mountain which overlooks this tranquil landscape. Located close to the former royal capital of Kandy, Hunas Falls provides an astonishing setting for Hunas Falls by Amaya. Sprawling gardens with walkways, flowers and the lake with a bridge to cross it, a waterfall and a mini golf course all constitute a most beautiful background to the calm serenity of your room. Considered one of the most scenic spots in the country, Hunas Falls by Amaya is an alluring Sri Lankan honeymoon hotel. It is committed to energy saving practices, recycling, giving back to the community and reducing wastage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Hunas Falls by Amaya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jetwing Hunas Falls Elkaduwa
- Hunas Falls Hotel
- Jetwing Hunas Falls Hotel Elkaduwa
- Hunas Falls By Amaya Sri Lanka/Elkaduwa