“A very comfortable night.”
Review of The Boar's Head

The Boar's Head
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ripley
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I booked a one night stay at short notice. My husband and I really enjoyed our visit. Our room was also on the "main" road, but we had a giggle during the night when we actually heard a single car go by. At home we have a dual carrage-way, a motorway, a railway line and an airport at the end of the garden... Our room was very comfortable with all the amenities we needed. I thought the selection of hot drinks on the tray was very good.
The only disappointment was that our sandwiches in the Bistro when we arrived around 8pm were made with white sliced bread. I would use this bread for toast, or expect it for a supermarket sandwich, but not a Bistro sandwich.
Breakfast was fresh and well presented, a good start to the day.
I visit Harrogate frequently and look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Many thanks for the review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the peace and tranquillity of Ripley.
We have freshly baked white and brown bread each day for the sandwiches , so I am sorry that this didn't meet with your expectations.
We look forward to your next visit, and if you would like another type of bread, just let us know and we will supply what ever you want.
See you again , we hope.
kindest regards

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed over after a wedding at the nearby castle. Rooms were wonderful. A wonderful bed, best I've stayed in for a while and lovely room. Nice little touches with a complementary decanter of sherry too.

Breakfast was very nice although felt a little isolated. Our main party were know a separate room but we were made to sit in a different room by ourselves. No other groups joined us and felt a little forgotten.

Otherwise a really great stay. Would recommend on the whole.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Many thanks for posting a review following your recent visit for the wedding at Ripley Castle.
I am delighted that the comments were very positive apart from the seating arrangements at breakfast.
Please let me explain. When we have full occupancy , which is very often , thankfully, we set extra places in the bistro area just in case everyone comes down together so that we can avoid the situation of not enough seats for people. I remember on the occasion in question, that lots of your group held back on sitting down when they came down for breakfast and we I did , in fact ask them to consider coming in so that we could avoid the rush that can happen when everyone comes down together. I am sorry that you were the only guests that had to use the bistro area , we did try and encourage others to join you but they insisted on pulling up extra chairs to the sides and ends of tables so that they could sit together.
We do encourage people to come down between the full range of our breakfast service hours , but when everyone arrives in a 15 minute period , something has to give to ensure that we can serve everyone their breakfast without delay.

kind regards

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I visit Harrogate twice yearly and have eaten in the Bistro at the Boar's Head many times for both lunch and dinners in the past. I visited on a Friday evening (4th April) having booked a table in the Bistro beforehand. The Bistro was busy but we were served with drinks promptly and shown to our table. Whilst we were looking at the menu two women were shown to an adjacent table with quite a large dog which they sat on a chair up to the table. I found this quite out of order and inappropriate in any establishment. I did not want to eat my dinner with a dog sat at the opposite table and after discussion with my companions we decided to leave. We spoke to the man behind the bar who said that they were 'dog friendly' and unfortunately he couldn't put us in the restaurant as it was full. He offered us another table further away from this dog but we declined. Our evening was spoilt. Had the dog stayed under the table it would have been acceptable, but we did wonder if the dog was going to be fed at the table as it was sitting at a place setting.

I can't think that I will be tempted to the Boar's Head again. To add the final annoyance of the evening we were charged for the drinks, one of which was untouched. Harrogate has some excellent restaurants - and I can't imagine that any would accept a dog sitting on a dining chair at the table.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Angela Lynne M
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

I am pleased to read that you were welcomed,seated and served promptly .I am surprised that the offer of the alternative table was not taken up , even if, to just finish the drinks that you had ordered.
May I suggest, that as we do plan to remain dog friendly, ( not encouraging dogs to occupy seats though), that if you do plan a return visit, please make a reservation in our Brasserie where we can guarentee you a dog free zone.
Steve & The Team

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed one night as we were going to a gig at Ripley Blues . The location was excellent as we were across the road in Hollybank and the hall was approx. 100yds up the road. We were shown the lounges and where breakfast would be served the following morning and then taken across the road to our room by a very nice lady who was on reception who once again explained everything in the room. Nice touches of a small sherry decanter and a chocolate boars head on both pillows.It was very clean but there were a couple of frayed patches of carpet and the bathroom could do with freshening up slightly.However, the facilities were excellent but an extra light over the vanity area in the room would have been an advantage and maybe bottled water with the refreshment tray for during the night would be appreciated. The staff were very welcoming, polite and friendly and could not be faulted.We had lunch in the Bistro and on the recommendation of the waiter I had the burger, delicious and I would definitely have that again.My Hubby had the roast beef sandwich which he thoroughly enjoyed but would have preferred to have had it served on a plate instead of a basket.Great nights sleep and quiet even though it is on a main road.Breakfast was plentiful and the warm pain au raisin were very tasty.Eggs Benedict was one of the best I have had and Hubby said the cooked breakfast was very tasty.Well presented and hot.Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thanks for the 5 out of 5 !!
We are all very grateful for your positive feedback.
We are currently doing some refurbishment works in a number of rooms and addressing the issues that you pointed out.
As you mentioned, we are located on the main road, but I wouldn't want anyone to think that was a busy road , its well used during the day , but is very quiet during the evening and especially at night time.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed it so much that you plan to return , and we hope it wont be too long before we see you again for another great stay.
Kind regards

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We have just returned from the Boars Head. We have stayed a few times and always loved it and couldn't wait to return, however this time we felt something had changed. Staff lovely, rooms tired and in need of upgrade, but nice touch again with sherry , biscuits etc. Shower very small in Cayton room, but bath nice and water really hot. Room red hot all night. Food seemed different , new chef? Will visit again but might wait a while.

Room Tip: Ask for the farm house lovely big rooms
2  Thank Sharon N
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Many thanks for the review.
We are currently upgrading rooms and this is being really well received.
We are always looking to improve our guest experience and with this in mind we do, from time to time change things based on feedback. Depending on when you last stayed with us, we did change the style of our menu and dining options over 2 years ago, from a fine dining experience to more of a Brasserie type menu, and in the majority of cases, this has been met with very positive feedback.
All of our radiators are individually thermostatically controlled and can be adjusted by simply turning the dial up or down and we would have been happy to turn them down if we knew you were too hot. We aim to leave the rads on medium , but they can be change very easily.
We are currently putting an information sheet together to cover such matters , over and above the guest directory that is already in the rooms.

I do hope that you won't be waiting too long before coming back to see us again.
Kind regards

Reviewed 3 April 2014

We have just enjoyed a 2 night stay at The Boar's Head and it was delightful. We stayed in the yellow room which was very clean and comfortable. We ate both nights in the hotel and the food was excellent, different dishes added to the menu on a daily basis so plenty to chose from. The staff were friendly and helpful at all times. Highly recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Excellent review, many thanks.
we are all delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent 2 night stay with us. I do hope it won't be long before we are welcoming you both back again soon.
Keep an eye on our website for some cracking special offers.
Regards

Reviewed 30 March 2014

This was a great Groupon offer. Our room was lovely, charming and clean. Chocolate boars on the pillows and tea/coffee/biscuit facilities made it feel very homely. The staff were all very friendly and efficient, booking us in quickly and even taking us to our room to make sure we were happy. We enjoyed a very nice meal in the Bistro and a good hearty breakfast in the morning. We were advised on booking that we would be able to visit the castle and grounds included in the stay. Bit disappointed that the castle was closed for decoration on our stay so had to change our plans and find something else to take up our time. Ripley, although very pretty, is small and there's not much else to see/do - you need to get out and about in the beautiful countryside . However, we were given tickets to visit the castle at some point in the future, which we will make a special visit to take advantage of. We would definitely stay at the Boar's Head again, especially if there are any good offers.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

We are all very pleased to read that you had such a nice visit recently.
I do hope that you will be planning a return visit when you come and visit the Castle.
Keep an eye on our website for the great special offers.
See you again soon.
kind regards
Steve & The Team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripley
Rudding Park Hotel
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#14 of 30 in Harrogate
Ascot House Hotel Harrogate

Been to The Boar's Head? Share your experiences!