“Not a single *care was given that day .”
Review of The Boar's Head

The Boar's Head
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ripley
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Arriving at The Boar’s Head, we could see that it certainly is in a beautiful location; walls covered in climbing plants, picturesque buildings surrounding it, and not to mention it being right next to Ripley Castle. Check-in was a little slow, as it seemed no one had explained to the receptionist on duty that we were prize winners (no-one ever actually asked why it was we were staying and dining there for free). We found it slightly amusing that we were stood there in motorbike clothing, helmets under our arms and were asked specifically for our car registration. The receptionist was, however, very pleasant and she showed us around the drawing rooms and up to our room, after booking us in for dinner at the Bistro.
First impressions of the room were that it was very nice; details like the fine selection of teas and coffees left in the room, the toiletries and decorations in the bathroom, and the chocolates on the pillows were all great. But it was hot. Far too hot! We opened both windows and left them open for the length of our stay, and despite the drop in temperature in all the other rooms and outside, it just wouldn’t seem to cool down inside. We learnt the next morning that the room seemed to be above the kitchen, which perhaps contributed to the room’s temperature. No other part of the building we were in seemed anywhere near as hot. Upon reading other reviews after our stay, we saw that several others had complained about the room being too hot, and we couldn’t help but wonder if we’d been ‘upgraded’ to this room because no full-paying visitor would stay in it.
Upon further inspection, we found things that we wouldn’t have expected from a hotel of this star rating. The carpet was up in one corner, handles were missing from drawers. The double bed was two singles pushed together. The toilet seat wasn’t properly fixed on, tiles around the bath were black, and the little line of grubby silicone along the edge of the bath, presumably to stop water from the shower running over the edge, was quite surprising. The ceiling around the impressive chandelier in the Hall was very cracked and damp, and the (presumably old) paintings decorating the Hall were hung in frames that looked as if some vandal had been chipping bits off here and there. There were dead flies in the resturaunt and the same mouldy paintwork everywhere. I could have dropped my dinner on the carpet and it wouldn't have needed cleaning.
Now, what I loved about our stay here was the meal in the Bistro. It was probably some of the best food I’ve ever eaten, and I’m sure my partner would agree. The service was a little slow, and the staff, though not unpleasant, weren’t particularly animated (we did try and have a friendly laugh with them, but it wasn’t well received). But the standard of food really was excellent, and there was a great variety of choice on offer. We were just sort of ‘left’ after our meal, though; we’d had a bottle of wine and were ready to pay, but no-one came over. After about fifteen minutes we went to the bar and waited for someone’s attention. It was like talking to a brick wall when I explained to the barman that everything we spend on the trip is less money going to charity. To which he presented us with our drinks bill. Just before we left, the barman pointed-out the tiny business-card-like ‘MotoGoLoco’ logo in the corner of their noticeboard, as if to say “hey, it’s there.” I paused for a moment as to whether or not to explain that although we won a competition from them , we were not them and had no interest if you display their logo. If he had taken a second to ask anything about us, him and anyone else who worked there, then we could have explained how this was the third year of charity fundraising, how I held world records in visiting the most castles and the most in a single trip and various other interesting things that could have benefited everyone involved. But as we found, not a single *care was given to who we were, if we had a safe trip , what are we doing in this neck of the woods, have we been before, you have a big barrel trailer on the back of your bike with a charity logo on it are you fundraising for something etc etc.
Looking forward to a good night’s sleep, we returned to our room. Now, I sleep fairly well, especially when it’s warm and I’ve had a good meal, so I couldn’t really complain. My partner, however, hardly slept. The village has a very efficient bus service which runs every 15 minutes from about 6am until the early hours. These buses happened to stop and start right outside our window (which we had to have open, remember, because of the heat), and were very, very noisy.
Breakfast in the restaurant was fairly average. The décor was again rather tired and not in the best condition, and I was glad that we’d eaten in the Bistro the previous evening. The service again was a little slow and brusque, but we didn’t wait as long as we had for the evening meal. We had plenty of toast, when I got up and found someone to ask, and the cooked breakfasts, though not particularly large, were tasty enough and nice and hot.
Check-out was a bit slow because (again) no one had communicated to the person on duty, or who had printed the invoices, that we were prize winners, and we were handed a bill for £100. It was resolved without complaint nor questions asked, though, and we were soon on our way. All in all, it wasn’t a bad stay. We mostly enjoyed it. But the disinterested service, tired décor and the cracks and damp throughout the building were uninspiring for a 5* hotel. We wondered if anyone would’ve been interested in resolving our complaints if we had voiced them. A fairly decent stay, yes, but if we’d have paid £100+ for the night, we would’ve expected much better.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Morton room.
4  Thank McNavish
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy some aspects of your recent stay with us.
I am puzzled to read that you found us to be not forthcoming to engage with you about your travels. as when we tried to explain the location of the great "geo cache " programme that motogoloco operate, you didn't seem very receptive to say the least, you were instead rather dismissive in your review about the whole programme.
I think that it is very credible that you choose to spend your free time touring the country fundraising on your motorbike , but I would like to confirm that we do not offer discount to all fundraisers as a matter of course, and nor have we ever been put in that position before when asked to bear this in mind when preparing the bill. We pride ourselves on working with lots of local charities , but we are not a charity ourselves.
I notice from your profile on Tripadvisor, that you have only ever posted poor or terrible reviews, I can only hope that you do eventually find somewhere that meets with your approval.
I do hope that your review does not damage the very positive relationship we have built with motogoloco and the many motogoloco visitors that have already enjoyed visiting us, and the many more we hope to welcome in the future. I have spoken with motogoloco about your stay, and we agree that all motogoloco visitors will continue to be welcomed here in the future.
Steve

There are newer reviews for The Boar's Head

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We visited The Boars Head in Ripley in April 2014. We booked two rooms for a one night stay for a friends wedding at Ripley Castle. The location is superb for access to the castle just a minutes walk from the hotels entrance.

The service we experienced from the reception staff was great, we arrived earlier than expected and asked if we could check in earlier, our room was cleaned and we were able to check in early which gave us ample time to get ready for the wedding. The room we had was a gardeners cottage, it had an adjoining room which was great as we were all together.

The room was clean and comfortable and had all of the amenities we required. The Wifi was a little hit and miss which was a tad annoying at times as nine if us had any phone signal in Ripley.

Breakfast was great, there was a great selection of cereals, juices and croissants etc, and the gull English was good too. We can recommend the poached eggs, nice and runny in the centre.

Check out was easy.

We took advantage of the free entrance to the castle and the castle tour which is available to guests of The Boars Head, well worth a trip if you have time.

A lovely break, would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Excellent review, many thanks.
We are delighted to read that you all enjoyed your recent stay with us.
I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Arrived here for a drink and a meal. The bar area wasn't in keeping with rest of hotel and was dark with poor decor. 2 foreign servers were in duty. We ordered drinks and was told the drinks would be added to our meal bill . We sat at table with menus - limited choice - all French based. We waited and waited and given there was only 1 more table with people on , thought we may get served? After 20 mins of being g ignored I went to the bar and paid for our finished drinks and we left . The servers didn't know what was going on nor had they any sign of customer service in them. Spoke to receptionist on way out who was friendly but what was happening in the bar - we went to eat in Harrogate instead - very nice

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ChrisJane25

I am very sorry to read that you did not receive our normal very high level of service, reflected in the review before and after yours.
I cannot offer any credible explanation as to why we missed the opportunity to serve you promptly and add your drinks to the bill as promised.
The bar area is not in a poor state of repair, but I can only assume that you do not like the décor.
We do hope that you will give us another chance next time

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed with 7 other cyclists, using it as a base to watch some of the tour de France. No complaints, food was great, we ate in both the restaurant and bar. Staff were particularly good, on what was an extremely busy weekend.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank dwitham1010
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

What a record breaking weekend!!!
The Tour de France was the most brilliant celebration of cycling that we have ever seen.
With lots more cycling events going on in Yorkshire, like The Tour of Yorkshire for the next three years, it looks like our cycling breaks will be rather popular.
Next time you are planning a cycling break , we hope to see you back at The Boar's Head.
Kindest regards

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was the second time we've stayed here. Room excellent, we stayed in Keepers Lodge, a very well appointed room near the beer garden. We thought that it would be noisy, but were pleasantly surprised. Evening meal was superb, we had three courses instead of our usual two, the Theakstons Old Peculiar very fresh, so had a couple. Breakfast as usual was a great selection followed by a full Yorkshire. Only downside was that both boilers had failed and there was no hot water for a shower, which was a real let down as we had travelled a long way in a hot car the previous day.

1  Thank martin b

Fantastic review!!!
Many thanks for the positive comments. I can only apologise for the rather unfortunate double failure of the heating boilers. They were ,however, back up and running in about 2 hrs, so a very quick result for such a large challenge. The engineers did their best and I know that one or two rooms got a little surprise with a tepid shower.
I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back again soon.
Kindest regards
Steve & The Team.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed at the boars head for 1 night only. Arrived at 2pm and shown to our room across the road . The room did have a very strong smell of disinfectant . Unpacked and settled in . The room was ok shower area could do with a face lift and maybe replace the lino and the carpet on the bottom step . but i wouldnt say superior for £166.00 per night bed and breakfast seemed a tad expencive when you are not in the hotel itself it never feels the same . ( experienced this a few times in different places ) as somebody else mentioned i do think that some areas are well used and could do with a make over . Dinner and breakfast were good and the atmosphere was lively. Enjoyed the castle trip and the grounds . Checked out and headed home .

Room Tip: Probably in the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I am a little puzzled about your "price of breakfast " comment as your rate included breakfast charges, however, many people do come in and join us for our famous Full Yorkshire breakfast , which includes our extensive cold buffet of fresh fruit salad, freshly baked croissants, Danish pastries, cereals , yoghurts, fruit compote, fruit juices, and as much fresh toast as you can eat, so for a price of just £10.50, I am not surprised that we have never had a negative comment about the price of our Breakfast.
I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I arrived later than I had intended at the Boars Head on the Thursday evening before my Sister's Wedding on the Friday because of traffic around the Harrogate and the show, though it was only around 8.30 pm. When I checked-in I asked for a table to be booked in the restaurant whilst I went to my room to refresh myself. I was soon down to the restaurant being hungry after a day at work and travel. I was shown to my table and handed a menu and then left!! After a hard day at work, traffic and the anticipation of playing the organ the following day I was in desperate need of a glass of nice cool white wine on a very hot evening. I waited and waited, trying to show intention on my face to any passing waiters. I eventually gave-up and went to the bar and asked if I could make my order, I was told to be seated and my order would be taken. However, still no rush and eventually my order was taken both for my wine and food. The wine did arrive, the food did take longer than I would normally anticipate but my desperation may have set in by then. The food did eventually arrive and very well presented. When I finished again there was no rush to clear the table or to offer me a dessert menu to the point that I had to ask again. I did eventually have a dessert order taken.

I then returned to my room to use the ensuite toilet which when I had finished I flushed to find there was insufficient power to remove my left deposits. The cistern then took an eternity to refill with the trickle of water that was coming through to it. I tried several times without any success of removing what remained in the toilet basin. Which I in a very unsavoury way had to leave for the night. I reported this to reception the next morning, though nothing from what I could see was done as the same thing happened the following evening!!

It is sad, from what looks a lovely hotel from the website, that the total lack of focus of the waiters at dinner and the ensuite toilet have very much marred my image of the Boars Head. My room was very beautifully finished, clean and well presented, with an assortment of teas, coffee, biscuits and chocolates. Ripely is a very pretty little village and the castle is outstanding, warm and welcoming with very beautiful gardens for which you get a free pass to from the hotel - perhaps better offered when you arrive rather than when leaving (so do ask for it). From what I paid to what I experienced this hotel and dining does not represent value for money and it is sad that I have felt compelled to write such a review.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul T

I am sorry to read in your very extensive review,that you experienced a short delay in getting our reputed friendly service , but I am delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to you visiting again.
Steve & The Team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripley
The Old Deanery
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
The Ripon Spa Hotel
The Ripon Spa Hotel
#4 of 5 in Ripon

Been to The Boar's Head? Share your experiences!