“World famous worst ice cream”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Ripley Ice Cream

Ripley Ice Cream
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Ripley
Leeds
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“World famous worst ice cream”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

I am now 50 years old and I grew up living in Killinghall village (next to Ripley). Therefore I feel able to comment knowledgeably about the generations that have owned and traded the 'Ripley Ice Cream' brand and the many visits there over the decades both with my parents and later with friends.

I have no axe to grind and no other reason to make the following comments other than my own opinion. The current ice cream sold is a cheap quality very synthetic tasting powder based product that most ordinary ice cream vans could beat hands down. Highly priced and overhyped you would do far better to go elsewhere.

A great shame considering what it used to be like and need not be so, as selling a good quality proper ice cream isnt exactly rocket science but does bring profit margins down for the greedy.

The impression given is that if you're not catering for repeat business some people think it doesnt matter

Visited March 2012
5 Thank chucky77

Chichester, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Don't be taken in by the hype!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

As we drove past Ripley we saw a board proclaiming "World Famous Ripley Ice Cream". In which world in which universe? We pulled into Ripley and parked and queued for the worst ice cream we had eaten in a very long time. The fact that it was soft should have made us head to the door before we even bought it. Be careful of the very difficult to understand pricing policy, I had to pay £1.20 more than I was expecting. The ice cream itself was coolish tasteless mush. We were meant to be eating a lemon ripple. It had a few pale lemon stripes around the edges but I doubt any real lemon ever made it into the recipe. I wonder about milk as well. Don't believe the advertising and move on to find some real Dales icecream instead.

Visited May 2012
6 Thank Selseysilver
Leeds, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Other locally are twice as nice for half the price!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

We were looking forward to visiting this ice cream parlour this weekend as we were camping nearby. Ripley itself is a beautiful village and this stop by the numbers was extremely popular.

In essence this turned out to be no more than a single counter with three whipped ice cream machines. Three single cones cost over £10 but if we have our choice we would not have paid more than £1 each.

To us it was just processed ice cream, nothing at all special. We opted for Mint which meant it had a green colour through it but no flavour.

Our advice would be to travel 4 miles to knaresborough, head to the river and try any of the ice cream counters, There we had a huge choice of flavours, an extra flake was provided for the child with us and all under £5. Top off your trip and finish your ice cream whilst taking a boat out on the water.

Visited May 2012