“Not really the luxury advertised”
Review of Netley Hall Estate

Netley Hall Estate
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Nice cottages set in the old walled garden BUT: there seems to be some mixed up thinking/planning going on here. Stayed in Lavender cottage, nice, clean and all rooms a good size. Bed comfortable and lots of storage space. The bathroom was clean and well presented and had a VERY expensive shower/steam room but the toilet handle almost fell off first time I used it and being Sunday, with an equestrian event on there was no one around to report it to,so had to tighten it up myself and report it on the Monday. Man called later in the day but was unable to do anything as he needed a new part. In the Kitchen they say there are limited basic essentials and they are correct. It would be difficult to cook for a party of 4 given the pans etc. The cheap crockery looks like it came from 'Wilko student deals' and though there were 4 wine glasses every one was a different size! Yet in the bathroom there was a clearly expensive pedestal candle holder made from wrought iron! The wine as others have mentioned is a very cheap bottle of Perry. Good quality curtains throughout but kitchen chairs that were weak and wobbly.
So plenty of space but a fantastic opportunity missed. Management needs to have a good think about their target renters and just sort put the really cheap stuff, stop wasting money on poor wine and put the savings into the contents or improving the non-existent WiFi.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LincolnDiveguy

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We found this place on a wowcher deal, the cottage was lovely, although needed a little tlc on decorating. The front door wouldn't open due to begin given the wrong key. The oven didn't work, they sent the handyman around, who was polite but couldn't really help, other than with the key. But this was a minor issue, the walk to the pub is lovely, the location is great, and we relaxed totally for 3 days. Just wish other guests knew how to drive and give way on the drive way, with us living in the sales we are used to giving way and driving steady, this seems foreign to some drivers!!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Staying here for 3 nights with my husband and a couple of friends, upon arrival we couldn't fault the condition of the cottage for what we paid. A 3 night deal that included chocolates and wine upon arrival for £130 isn't bad at all, especially for a two bed bungalow that was shared between us all.
The rooms were tastefully decorated, pretty clean and on a very warm day I was glad that all of the windows opened widely to allow a lovely breeze to flow through the building.
The kitchen was large but the even the 'basic' kitchen utensils etc we were told were supplied, were below what I would consider basic. There were indeed chocolates on arrival, a cheap praline selection which I'm sure are available at Poundland, but alas no wine. No problem though, the office was still open over the weekend as there was an equestrian event on, and so on our way out the next morning we called in. There was also the issue of a lock that wouldn't lock from the outside, and no recycling facilities that we could see, to enquire about.

Sadly there aren't any recycling bins at all on the estate apparently, quite shocking really in this day and age.
The lock wasn't looked at, even though they said it would be. I did notice that our neighbouring cottage also had trouble locking theirs, so is perhaps a design fault.
The wine we were promised would be in our cottage for when we got back.

Wine? Hmmmm......it was in fact a sparkling perry loaded quite clearly on the label with sugars and sweeteners. Quite tasty because of the added sugar but certainly NOT a wine. Another shame really.
Anyway, the cottage I felt was comfortable. The bath was large and with plenty of hot water that ran very quickly which allowed for a swift turnaround on a morning. A shower in the second bathroom was modern and very nice according to my husband. The TV etc could do with updating I suppose, but we weren't there to watch the gogglebox, that can be done at home. And with limited freeview channels there wasn't a huge amount to watch anyway.

Would I stay again?
At this price yes. Definitely wouldn't pay full price.

Helpful hints.....
I would suggest taking along your own tea towels, dishcloth, scourers, washing up liquid, some decent knives, and some other cooking utensils just in case.
There's also no complimentary toiletries, so make sure you take handwash.
The bed, whilst appearing to be comfortable gave me back ache because it dipped in the middle.
Upon leaving I always strip the beds. I feel it's a small thing to do to be helpful to the housekeeper. I had seen there were no mattress or pillow protectors on the bedding when we arrived but avoided looking under the clean bedding until the last morning for fear of what may be there.
I perhaps shouldn't be so fussy, but I can't help it. The bedding NEEDS protectors. Yellowing, stained pillows, stained mattress and quilt, and a thank you to my good sense not to look on day one.

Finally, the most disappointing part of my stay, the towels. The bath towels that were provided barely covered my shoulders, never mind any other part of me. It was a hand towel, and a facecloth essentially. Take your own!
Oh and if you want Wi-Fi don't stay here. It says it's included free but you can only get it a couple of feet away from the office, not in the cottages at all.

You may wonder why I'm giving this review 4/5 after all of that haha. The overall feel of the place, the comfort of the facilities, the space and the freedom you have to just wander around is perfect. You get what you pay for. On this occasion my husband and I paid just under £65 to stay for 3 nights and got a bottle of sugar rush for free and some lovely weather to boot (clearly not under the control of the venue, but it makes things look brighter doesn't it).
I don't think we could've got a better deal really for what we were provided with.
And the area is gorgeous and one we love to visit, so the cottage is just a place to lay your head really. :)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Kat W
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Having read the reviews to say i was apprehensive would be an understatement. We had a Groupon deal and for the money paid excellent value. We stayed in Jasmine cottage which was spacious snd clean. Yes the sofas could do with being repaced as could the curtains and cushions but overall the place was very comfortable.There was a big equestrian event on over the weekend but it did not cause any disturbance and as s horse lover i was very happy to sit in the sunshine and enjoy the event. I only have a few minor comments to make . The first, invest in larger signage as the gate on the main raod is private entrance so a sign at the Church Road junction would be helpful. Also, bigger signs as you approach the main reception/car park for those arriving late. Secondly, whilst clean, the bathrooms could do with a bit if attention as far as the grouting is concerned, minor I admit, but does make a difference. All in alll I would return as the surroundings a beautiful but investing in wi fi may also be worth considering as it semms to be a consistant comment.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank AnnyBristol
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We purchased a Kgb voucher for a 3-course Sunday dinner with wine in the restaurant at Netley Hall Estate and decided to use it to coincide with a day trip to Shropshire on the occasion of our wedding anniversary

We arrived at the Netley Hall estate at round 5.15pm hoping to be in good time to freshen up and to get changed for 6.00pm which was the time of our booking. There was no site signage indicating where the restaurant was. There was a Reception office but this was firmly closed and three attempts to contact anyone using the telephone number on the KGB voucher proved fruitless. After half an hour driving around, we then found out from a passer-by that the restaurant was housed in a rather anonymous function building with the entrance hidden at the bottom of some steps from a car park. A simple sign stating “Function room restaurant” fixed above the entrance of the building would have been sufficient for us to find the location fairly easily.

The table cloth was not clean and the salt and pepper containers were heavily finger marked. The voucher stated “The roast dinner is a fixed menu any variation to it may not be possible and if possible may be subject to a supplement charge. Vegetarian option of the day will be available.” It is usual on fixed menus to have choice of starters and desserts. The only starter available was tomato or chicken soup. The tomato soup was acceptable, unfortunately, the chicken soup ordered was tasteless and inedible and that comment was passed to the waitress later. After 25 minutes the starters were removed we were then presented with a roast pork dinner as main course. We were not advised by the waitress beforehand that this was the only choice apart from a vegetarian meal. Fortunately, we are not vegetarians however it may have been helpful to be asked before the dinners arrived if either of us were!!. The dinners were edible although could have done with being a little hotter. Apple sauce was provided, the waitress agreed to bring some mustard, none arrived. At no time did anyone check to see if the meal was satisfactory, which I believe to be standard practice in most restaurants. When the waitress did return to our table to collect the plates, she was informed about the lack of mustard and muttered an apology. There was no choice of dessert however the dessert served was satisfactory

Upon departure, my husband decided to use the gent’s toilets and was somewhat concerned to note there were no paper hand towels and asked what was happening when he came out as I had spotted the “passer-by”, possibly manager, who we had spoken to earlier when trying to find the restaurant. I thanked the “manager” but stated the visit had not been worth it at all. He then proceeded to be extremely rude to us and commented that all we had done was to "moan and groan" during the meal. He did not appear interested in any kind of feedback from us, wanted us to leave, ushering us out of the door and basically suggested that it would be better if we did not go back stating “hope you can find the exit”! The gentleman did not introduce himself to us during the evening so we can only presume he was the duty manager. We have received an e mail from Netley Hall in answer to our complaint, stating that he was considering offering a refund of the meal and asking us to leave immediately. It must have been obvious that we were not satisfied on how the evening was progressing as we understood that he was receiving regular updates from his waiting staff. However, he chose to remain in the background until we were ready to leave and then to launch into the tirade referred to earlier. We have not received any apology either verbal or written for the way that we were spoken to. I can confirm that as a result of this very unpleasant end to our anniversary celebration, we will be taking the advice never to return! Clearly, customer care and adequate staff training is not a priority at Netley Hall Estates within the restaurant at least

Despite the saying “You get what you pay for”, we think the kgb deal voucher system is good, we have used them a fair amount, have generally had good value and have never been spoken to like this before!!

Whatever happened to “the customer is always right”?!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pamandy_13
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We arrived at Netley Hall on 18th July for a close friend's wedding on the Saturday. As my partner was part of the bridal party we had purposefully booked for 2 nights so that we were there and refreshed ready for the day.

Unfortunately when we arrived we were told that there was no cottage available for us (despite the fact that we had made the booking in February). The young girl on reception called the owner, Colin. He arrived and stated that there was no accommodation available for us. We had just spent 5.5hrs in the car on one of the hottest days of the year so far and so we were understandably upset. He then said that he would go and have a look at the state of the yard groom's cottage and perhaps we could stay in there! I have had horses all of my life and I am well aware of the usual state of a yard groom's cottage, Luckily he came back and said it wasn't suitable. Colin said that he would try the local pub to see if they had a room available. Thankfully they did.

The problem with this is that we had booked a 'luxury cottage' and all other members of our party were staying at Netley Hall. When I asked if we would be refunded for the amount we had paid for the cottage for the night we would not be staying in it Colin laughed. He said that we had booked accommodation and accommodation is what he was providing! He also stated that he had thought of giving us a bottle of bubbly as an apology but that he wouldn't be doing that now!

Once we were settled into the pub down the road, we returned to eat with our friends. I have to say that their cottage was far from luxury! They had also paid an extra £20 for champagne and chocolates which consisted of sparkling perry and some Aldi or Lidl pound special chocolates.

We were told that we would be given the first available cottage the next morning. This was not made available to us until 11.45 and with the wedding transport arriving at 12 this was cutting it fine and made what should have been a relaxing morning quite stressful.

I would not recommend Netley Hall to anyone as although it is set in beautiful grounds it is far from luxury as the website suggests and the owner is extremely rude.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 79DeeS
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have stayed in the bungalows in the grounds of Netley Hall Estate twice this year, in March and again in July. Keen anglers, my husband and I were looking forward to trying out the woodland ponds and the main carp lake. Let's just say the fish are shy and the woodland ponds have almost disappeared under overgrown margins and rarely trod pathways. With some TLC, a bit of effort and some good water management there is a great opportunity to cash in on the angling business.
That said, there is a good equestrian centre on the estate and it seems that is much more of a focus for the estate.
Another good source of income for the estate are the wedding packages. Large or small gatherings in a very attractive setting and with a large estate, it is easy to be there and be unaffected by the other activities due to the size of the grounds.
The self catering cottages and bungalows for hire are gathered in a large courtyard/cluster setting. The cottages are pretty and quaint. The bungalows are joined in a terrace with a lawned garden area stretched out in front of them. We stayed in both a one bedroomed and a two bedroomed bungalow. The one bedroomed bungalow had the largest kitchen I have ever seen but it was did not feel 'homey'. Strangely, there were loads of cupboard and drawer space but the basic kitchen items were not to be found. An oven tray, a grill pan (there was a grill and a handle but no pan). There wasn't even a frying pan. It was all rather disappointing. However.... The bedroom was the most luxurious room I have ever seen in a rental property. It oozed comfort and the finishing touches give it a sense of luxury found in the best hotels. The living room was smaller than the kitchen and more homely but the tv and audio players are old and in need of modernisation.
The second bungalow we had had a second bedroom which we didn't use but it was cosy and well decorated. The main bedroom was nicely decorated and whilst not as luxurious as the other bungalow, it was better than some hotel rooms I have stayed in. The kitchen was well equipt and even though it was half the size of the other bungalow, it felt so much cosier. The living room was again comfy and again, needs a more modern tv. There is no wi-fi on the estate which can be a blessing or a curse depending on your personal needs.
In both properties there is a shower room with an all singing/dancing shower that blows water at you from all possible angles and has a seat built in to add to the experience. It can also be a sauna which may appeal to some visitors. The larger bungalow also had a separate bathroom. The large bath was a welcome chill out for me after a day fishing and a glass of wine helped the relaxation no end!!

If you want a short break with reasonably priced accommodation in a nice part of the country then this may be a good option. It's better than a travel lodge but not quite hotel service. You have to take the basic groceries with you as the nearest village is a drive away.

Room Tip: Very quiet at night and not close to any amenities.