“Beautiful location.”
Review of The Wroxeter Hotel

The Wroxeter Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wroxeter
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed at the Wroxeter over the weekend on a voucher deal. First impression was what lovely grounds the hotel was in . The reception staff were very nice and although it was only just after 12 we were told we could go up to our room. The room was very clean and spacious and we later discovered had a very comfy bed. We had also booked for the afternoon tea and as previously stated found there was only one choice of sandwich but as there was 3 choices of cake and a really good Prosecco did not think this a problem.As a non tea /coffee drinker I was very pleased to be offered hot chocolate with my afternoon tea. Hot chocolate was also to be found in room. We ate off the Taste of Shropshire menu and was very pleased with food and service, if I had to make a criticism I would have liked some vegetables with my sausage and mash.We were told there would be a wedding and there might be some noise, but we weren't bothered by it. We did have a buzzing noise in room but after a call to reception it seemed to go away. You could hear people talking in another room. Breakfast was lovely with a good variety of cereal,juices etc.The tables could have been cleared quicker but they did appear to be short staffed. Tanya the lady who served us our afternoon tea also served our breakfast and remembered my hot chocolate. While you are at the Wroxeter a trip to the Roman City and the Vineyard are well worth it especially as both are in walking distance.

Room Tip: We had room 11.
1  Thank lovetogo493

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Bought a Wowcher which portrayed this place as something amazing. I was really looking forward to what was described as a 'champagne Dinner worth 'up to' £68.50'.
It was more like a £1-Brut Disaster.
I am shocked/appalled.
Despite living close to the venue I had never visited it before. As we pulled close I was impressed by the sight of the driveway which was flanked by beautifully kept lawns & lovely oak trees, with a statue languishing seductively beneath each one. Opening the door to reception my impression wasn't changed, then however we were shown to the bar. It looked like Fawlty Towers. The table we were shown to (in reception) was cheap-looking & scuffed. The young lady who took our order at the bar & provided us with menus at our reception table, was lovely & exceptionally polite, the type of host who would be at home in the type of hotel this one pretends to be. After perusing the four options the 'Taste of Shropshire Table D'hôte' menu had to offer, I chose the Chef’s Homemade Chicken Liver Pâté with Oatcakes followed by Local made Pork and Leek Sausages with Wholegrain Mustard Mash and Gravy. We were then shown to the large conservatory-restaurant & seated at what can only be described as a trestle table covered in brown nylon with chairs that matched. At least they matched. We spent the next few minutes shaking in silent mirth at the situation. When the pâté & oatcakes arrived they were presented well but the oatcakes tasted musty & the pâté looked as though it had been cut from a cheap supermarket packet rather than homemade. My main course arrived & as per the starter, the presentation was good. The sausages were excellent & the mash creamy & smooth, although there was a little too much mustard I enjoyed it. For dessert I chose lemon tart with clotted cream. It was delicious. The food was nothing special & if their 'champagne' is anything to go by (see end of review) it was probably sourced from the Oops aisle of their local supermarket. Once we'd completed our courses & paid for our additional drinks, we beat a hasty retreat. It was then that our waitress reminded us we hadn't had our champagne, surely the high point of the 'champagne dinner'! I was handed a bottle of Chaumet Premium Sparkling Perry (I looked this up on the internet & found it can be bought in a well known supermarket for £1.50) We took it & walked to our car where we once again we exploded with laughter. If the whole night hadn't been so hysterical I would've cried... I could've bought a half decent bottle of champagne from my local supermarket & a meal for two of roughly the same quality from M&S for the same price as my Wowcher. I will never go there again. I feel like complaining to Wowcher on the grounds of false advertising.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank mainlysmiles
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed for one night on a voucher offer. After booking a read some reviews on here and wish I'd read them first.
The hotel is nice, set in a lovely location. The service and breakfast were great.
We were advised on arrival that there was a wedding that night and the disco would finish at midnight but we were on the other side of the hotel and wouldn't be bothered by the noise. How wrong they were! The sound from the wedding was very audible, along with the sound of the people in the rooms either side of us.
Im very glad I had a voucher offer as feel it is not value for money at the full price, especially when a disco is thumping on below you.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed here for three nights on a voucher deal and certainly wouldn't complain that we didn't get value for money. The hotel is in a nice location and the grounds are well kept and attractive with many flower boxes around the hotel.

The hotel itself was clean and well maintained, our room was clean and more than adequate with reasonable storage space, a flat screen Freeview TV, tea making facilities and an en-suite bathroom with a shower. Only negative was the bed was not very comfortable, with a very firm mattress and despite there being three pillows each, they were thin and uncomfortable.

We had dinner from the "Taste of Shropshire" menu on the second night, (this was included in the deal) and whilst this meal was adequate it lacked imagination and was rather limited in the choices available and this didn't encourage us to dine here again. The included breakfast each morning was tasty and well prepared.

The bar had a limited choice of drinks with, fortunately for me, one real ale available, which was well kept but to only have one selection of white wine available by the glass (unless you're ok with Stowells "on tap" wine) was a little disappointing.

The staff were all extremely pleasant and service was good despite the staff being very busy one morning.

Would we stay here again? Possibly if there were a good deal on offer as it's a great location for exploring and if we knew the bedding had been improved.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Only one sandwich provided; not a selection. I know it was afternoon tea but coffee was offered so my wife decided to have a cup. It was luke warm and tasted like it had been filtered hours ago. From start to finish was half an hour. There was a workman behind a curtain drilling an hammering which didn't make for a nice atmosphere. This was to celebrate our pearl anniversary - total waste if time and money. We bought this offer through living social.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christopher P
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We spent a 2 night break with B/B and Dinner on second night at the Wroxeter Hotel in Shropshire
The hotel is located in Wroxeter a small village just outside Shrewsbury. Location of hotel is overlooking lovely countryside, pleasant views and very relaxing environment. Room was spacious and clean, large comfortable bathroom with soft, fluffy white towels, good amount of tea and coffee
just a few negative points some mould on bathroom shower which could have easily been cleaned housekeeping a little careless and sound proofing needs to be looked at as we were able to hear all movements in the room above, could affect sleep quality. Breakfast was very good with reasonable choices and well cooked. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Evening meal choice included in our special deal was very limited would advice care when booking special offers. Breakfast times were too early for the holiday trade. Plenty to do in the surrounding areas. Ironbridge, National Trust Property close-by, both well worth a visit. On the whole the break was good value and enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

we spent 2 nights at the Wroxeter good links to Shrewsbury and Telford very nice settings used a lot for weddings
hard place to find but well worth a visit if you are visiting places around the Shropshire / Wales area wine place near by which is worth a visit nice wine but a bit pricey
Could not fault the very friendly staff who was always more than willing to help if need be
well worth a visit if you are visiting this area

Room Tip: go for an upstairs room we were in room 5 nice room but you could here the floors creaking from abov...
1  Thank tony1976130
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wroxeter
The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel
5 mi away
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#2 of 16 in Shrewsbury

Been to The Wroxeter Hotel? Share your experiences!