“Great Location and comfortable rooms”

Silver Coast Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Ngwe Saung
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
“Great Location and comfortable rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

We and our friends stayed here for 2 nights. We had 3 beach front bungalows for $45 each. The rooms were large and equipped with air-conditioners and refrigerators. Though electricity only runs from 6pm to 6am, this is typical of hotels in the area. The great things were that the rooms had nice front porches and screens in the windows (unlike neighboring hotels), so we could sleep with windows open and hear the ocean. The proximity to and view of Lovers island was nice. Also, the beach in this area doesn't have so many rocks. In addition they reserved our room over the phone so we didn't have to pay a booking fee on line. Though this is an older hotel it was quite acceptable for the money, especially since hotels in Myanmar are relatively expensive to the region. Breakfast was luke-warm but this is not unusual for cheaper hotels in Myanmar. The staff were courteous to us. Though the garden is not perfectly manicured, it has a nice feel and lots of character. Also, they have inner tubes that guests can use. There's a nice little seating area right next to the beach and the beers are cheap. We enjoyed our stay here!

Room Tip: Sea front rooms, C1 and C2 are old but nice. There are some newer rooms farther from the reception a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank annmelville

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Yangon, Yangon, Myanmar
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

We are from Yangon. We stayed there according to the recommendation of the next door Shwe Hintha Hotel, where we usually stay and love, as their rooms were all booked. There was not much difference in price, but there was a huge difference in service, rooms and people.

They gave us worn-out bedsheets,blankets & towels, distorted pillows and poorly-working shower. We didn't complain them about all these things as we knew it wasn't going to work.

There was only one delight in the compound: the restaurant and its people - friendly people, nice food, fair price - which later we found out to be a separate business. No wonder!

Here is the drama coming. At breakfast, they gave us fried vermicelli, which I'd never eat for breakfast, and coffee. When I said I couldn't eat that, they said that's the only food for the local visitors, but if I wanted, I could get toast. I said, "yes, I'm okay with toast". Then I asked for orange juice, but they said that was only for the foreigners. Again I had to say, "I WANT ORANGE JUICE!". They did come back with the orange juice, but, to my surprise, they took my coffee back! OMG! When I asked for the fruit, they repeated the same sentence!

That certainly pissed me off! I couldn't believe myself that I had to fight for a banana, a cup of coffee and a glass of orange juice, for the reason that I'm a local visitor, while the foreign guests were enjoying their breakfast without any trouble.

That really exploded me. I stormed into the manager's office, but he wasn't there. I talked to the receptionist woman, who wasn't totally sincere. She first tried to cheat me that the foreigners paid extra charges for the juice and the fruit. I told her that I could go and ask them that if it was true. Then she admitted that they didn't have to.

I then asked her why they apply such a ridiculous rule on this earth while we were giving the same price they charged us and never asked for bargain. She answered that that was the policy set by the Yangon HQ.

So I phoned their Ygn HQ and a woman from customer service answered. I told her exactly what happened and suggested that such kind of policy must be abandoned nowadays. She confirmed that that was their policy, but she said that she'll tell the office and that wasn't going to happen again the next day.

You know? The next morning, we had the same breakfast: fried rice, coffee and in addition, orange juice, but no fruit. I didn't complain them anymore as I was rather disappointed with those people. They completely ignored my concerns.

Let me sum up. This hotel is a real budget hotel and I can genuinely recommend you to stay there if you are from a foreign country and if you could happily enjoy your well-served breakfast while your next door local guests are fighting for the same food you are eating. But, this is a big BUT, if you're from Myanmar, that place is the last place you should consider to stay in Ngwe Saung.

Room Tip: Sea-view superior rooms are much better than the economic ones.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
19 Thank Hlaing_21
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

We had a problem with our booking at Shwe Hin Thar and the manager took us to this resort which has been renamed Silver Coast Beach Hotel. The rooms are big and you only have electricity between 6pm to 6am. The breakfast isn't that brilliant as they tend to precook their eggs but after asking for scrambled managed to get a hot breakfast. The staff are very pleasnt and the linen is changed regularly. Not sure how often the rooms are cleaned as the staff seem very quick. The restauant is very good and is busy as the resorts closeby are not as good.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple