“You need to be desperate to stay here!”

3 Tuns Coaching Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Pettistree B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Booked here because it said it was dog friendly and we were travelling with our two terriers and the professional photographs looked O.K. Don't believe them! New owners have taken over and have been there for 3 weeks but their answer to resurrecting this (what could be a great old coaching inn b & b) is to have live music nights on Fridays - the day of our arrival, the only saving grace is that nobody comes! The same lads loll in the bar and on Saturday morning an empty bottle of Jack Daniels and an empty coke bottle decked the car park. The broken glass from the fight last year still hasn't been mended - in fact there's more broken glass around than I've ever seen at any commercial establishment! The dogs still bark at the kennels next door, the old fashioned TVs still don't work, they still haven't cleaned the rooms or sorted the hot water, apart from a grim breakfast on bare, unlaid tables there is no food. I'm not convinced our sheets were clean, in fact I'd lay my life on the bottom pillowcases not having been changed (I wrapped my pillow in my own clean towel to have a chance of sleeping without heaving). The shower was so disgusting I couldn't bear to use it although my husband braved a lukewarm drip. The new owners may make a difference over time but not unless they've got a lot of experience of the hospitality industry and a spare £100k to spend .............. and I don't think they have.

Room Tip: Just don't do it!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AuntieMoo

Reviewed 2 April 2013

When we arrived, the B and B was locked, the manager turned up late, did not apologise.

We were given a room which was dirty, the sheets were disgusting and the bathroom very dirty, we had to ask to change rooms. The new room was cleaner but the kettle had mould in it and the cups were dirty. The walls are also paper thin so we had a really bad nights sleep. We know its cheap but we felt ripped off, don't risk it, its awful.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I read the reviews for this establishment on the way to it in the car. I honestly thought it couldnt be that bad, I was very wrong!! On arrival we were told that our reservation had not been made and after a lot of complaining about her boss telling her off and continously asking if our name was Leonard we managed to convince her our name was not Leonard (although changing it might have saved time) the girl offered us a room upstairs. To get to the room you had to walk behind the bar which was filthy and up a narrow dark staircase! We were told it would be quieter up there as apparently all the bikers would be very rowdy at 3am. The mirror in the room was filthy and there was no en suite. When I pointed out I had booked an en suite I was told I could use her bathrooom as she doesnt use it. Clearly cleaning products arent really their thing either! When I pointed out the room was unacceptable she decided she was going to throw another guest out of their room to fit us in!!! After mumbling something about a disabled guest causing problems because she wanted a downstairs room, the member of staff then let herself into Room 1 to discover that the guests were having sex, which we could obviously hear from the doorway but luckily didnt see (I dont think I would have got that vision out of my head, although the lady was clearly enjoying herself)!!! Not detered by this she then proceeded to let herself into several other rooms with the intention of moving the guest without their prior knowledge or consent! On each occasion she was opening the door saying 'Please dont be having sex' she seemed to find it funny, personally I was disgusted that she would just let herself into someone elses room after they have clearly paid for the privacy. I asked if there were any other hotels nearby and she said no, I would rather have slept in the car than spent the whole night waiting for someone to come in or move my belongings whilst I wasnt there. Luckily for us I had seen a sign for the Ufford Park Hotel which is beautiful. I did feel sorry for the girl who was trying to find us a room until I spoke to a cab driver about it and he filled me in on some of the more gory details of this 'establishment' I go to hotels regularly as much of our business involves working away from home and I have never seen anything like this, it makes Fawlty Towers look professional!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: Just choose a different hotel, a tent would be better!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Sara K
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Stayed for one night on business. No-one at reception. Had to search out someone for room key, and was told that if I wanted anything other than cod for dinner I was out of luck. Group of lads at the bar obviously drunk and swearing loudly even though this was mid afternoon. Room was short of ok. Old fashioned TV which didn't work, no Wi-Fi, no plug in sink, and the shower was ineffective with lukewarm water, and all soap dispensers empty. Bed linen was ok though. Full English breakfast ordered in the morning and I was presented with stone cold bacon and egg, with tinned tomatoes clearly just dumped straight out of the tin. Sent it back, but was still charged for breakfast at checkout by a very snotty member of staff. Needless to say I will not be going back, and have reported this back to booking.com where I made my reservation.

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Booked through Late Rooms, had booking conformation etc.
Pulled into the car park and the place looked pretty run down.
Checked into reception only to find no room available and no record of booking.
Spoke to the woman who takes the reservations and she said “I have over looked your booking”. They tried to get us a room a hotel three miles away but they were fully booked. We were then offered a room in the staff quarters with no en suite with a price reduction of only £15. The manager didn’t want to know, he just tried to blaim the booking agent. So we decided to leave.
The reason for our staying was that some friends from Australia (that we hadn’t seen for 28 years) were checking in and we were going to have a meal and spend the evening together.
They had already checked in. They had booked from Australia for 9 nights. On arrival the booking was only for one night.
We found their room on our way out only to find how disgusted they were with it. The room was small and smelly. The bathroom was filthy and after arriving after a long flight the first thing they wanted was a shower. This they got but only with cold water. No hot water available. Needless to say they repacked and checked out too.
Glad we did not stay for dinner.
Defiantly only a place to stay if you are really desperate.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank angry_bikerz1000
Reviewed 21 September 2012

This hotel was an old haunt of mine in the 1960s but it is an apology for an hotel. The Manager was very devil may care and charged undividually for evening meal He did nothing to make us welcome and took complete advantage of two lovely young men who did all the work. the linen was not changed and when we arrived back after a day out the wet room had not been cleaned and I almost slipped on a floor still an inch high with water. A fight took place on the second night between members of staff and a window was smashed and was not cleared up by the morning. there is no reception, we were not registered on arrival and nothing was said about breakfast times and on the second day the door to the dining room was locked and there was no one around so we almost left there and then. Found out afterwards they are not even registered so we left early and will never go back

Room Tip: No rating for this place avoid like the plague
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank choccyles
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I don't want to be too harsh, but this place was awful. The "reception" was like an inquisition: I was told off for not telling them we had a dog (even though they describe themselves as dog friendly) and a huge fuss was made because we had booked an upstairs room not a downstairs room (er, I wasn't given the choice with my online booking ...?)

Anyway, the impossible situation with the dog ~ who wasn't allowed anywhere near the dining room ~ was resolved when I picked her up and carried her to our room, so as not to touch any part of the floor (even though she was allowed to sit under our table while we ate).

I was then told off for booking a family room and it was strongly hinted that we wouldn't use the second bed. Um, why not? We'd paid for it. I was then told I'd booked for 2 adults and a child ~ oh, that would be for the imaginary child that I have, silly me. There's something definitely wrong with the online booking, so you might be best to phone instead of booking online.

Our room looked nice and clean at first glance, but:
- the mattresses were the cheapest thinnest ones you could buy, and didn't even fit the bedframe. Horribly uncomfortable
- the pillows are about an inch thick and offer no support at all
- there's a dog kennels next door, so we were kept up all night by barking howling dogs
- our room was above a generator, which made a horrendous noise all night too
- the TV was hopeless because it buzzed so loudly you couldn't hear your programme
- the room hadn't been cleaned since the last guests (or ever?) because there was dirty cutlery and an old nightgown in the chest of drawers
- there was still brick dust behind the TV from when the wires were put in

EATING
The food was OK, it was edible but overpriced for what it was. For the same price you could get a superb ham ploughmans at Emmett's in nearby Peasenhall, or instead go up the road to The Greyhound Inn.
The dining room hasn't been hoovered in months, so don't look at the carpets if you're eating there: our dog was chewing something on the floor, and when I looked closer, there were dozens of dead flies and woodlice on the carpet, plus what looked suspiciously like mouse droppings. There was a thick layer of dust on the skirting boards too.

I don't like leaving bad reviews, but this place was just awful, and I resent having given them £60. We only booked there because we needed to be refreshed for an event the next morning. As it was, we got zero sleep and would've been better off camping.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Awkward_Veggie

Been to 3 Tuns Coaching Inn? Share your experiences!