La Madelene
Aux Tournesols(Malaucene)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewswine toursouthern rhonepainting workshopfood and winewonderful experiencegracious hostswine loversperfect pairingwine producershis knowledgeventoux areafrench winetruffle huntwonderful wineriescomfortable accommodationhomemade mealsjude
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Thank you Phillip and Jude for hosting our group of two couples for four nights including the wine tour in June. What an incredible, multi-sensory experience! The wine tour (eight winery visits + two outstanding dinners at La Madelene, a picnic lunch at Bertrand Stehelin's winery, a lunch at the Pope's summerhouse ruins, breakfasts on the patio under a big tree, and a lovely dinner at the Pont de Ormes restaurant.) Our wine tour group ended up being 12 people total (thanks to Phillip allowing my husband and me to join the group at a later date), and what a lovely group it ended up being. This sort of place attracts people who are there to expand their knowledge of wine, enjoy French cuisine, and meet others who are doing the same. Jude and Phillip are attentive and gracious hosts who exceed your expectations in every way. We hope to return!

Room Tip: There is not a fitness center, but you can walk, run, and bike the whole area.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I titled my review as hesitation for a selfish reason! la Madelene is a something I do not wish to share except with those that were there when I was. The big house is truly amazing and beautiful. Phillip and Jude went beyond description as host and hostess. The wine experience was both informative and intoxicating. The delicious meals by hostess and local restaurants, with pleasant company were outstanding! There wasn't one moment I didn't feel so very fortunate! we enjoyed this time with our friends and were delighted to meet new ones. We've traveled a lot, this is one of my top! Jackie

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jackiedomin
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Dear fellow travel colleague.
First things first: We spent a Yoga week in La Madelene with the best yoga teacher in the world who is simultaneously a rock star: Dawn Lintern - check out her classes in London. Second: Jude & Philip who run La Madelene are the kindest, most professional, helpful, well organised hosts and the cooking is a combination of Nigella, Otto, and others but in fact much better, it is simply Jude! Third: the location and the beautiful old and remote farmhouse - charming, simple but with beautiful decor let alone a brilliant old juke box safely stored away in the kitchen, so it is quiet and serene, but if you like, you could have a spontaneous boogie after a dip in the lovely pool, after playing boule or after cycling, hiking, sight seeing in the surrounding area, wine tasting. Fourth: if you think that is all: wrong. Philip is a somelier and knows all the fantastic domaines in the area who produce great wine. He is more than happy to organise well informed tours for you and he can recommend good wine to take home from your holidays. This is a place where you can make the world stop and start again, perfection. Enjoy the silences, the snail races, the poppy fields, the fresh cherries from the trees and very important, you can sleep furiously in very good beds for long hours.
Henriette

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I've been a delinquent on this but I owe it to our hosts at La Madelene to finally say a few words. My wife and I visited last year about this time and had an amazing one day and night stay (I really wish we had stayed longer). Philip and Jude hosted a fantastic dinner for us when we arrived, and at the time a couple of their friends were visiting as well - this led to a very entertaining evening of wine, food, and conversation. The following day Philip gave a tour to just the two of us and so we got a very personal look at some of the wineries in the area as well as an unforgettable lunch at a restaurant on top of a hill near an old bombed-out castle. Book this if your time and their schedule allows it!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Phillip and Jude provide beautiful accommodations and are very gracious hosts. The house is beautiful and the rooms charming. Jude is an excellent cook and the dinners were amazing. Phillip's knowledge of Rhone wine is also amazing and he is an excellent teacher and explains the complicated wine making process in a most pleasant way. My friend and I enjoyed our stay at La Madeline, our room, the tours and mostly the sampling of many excellent wines. Phillip is very generous with his extensive personal cellar at dinner! He chose excellent vineyards for us to visit. So much different than the commercialized Napa Valley tastings.

I certainly recommend Phillip and Jude for anyone who is interested in getting an education on all of the different regions within the Cotes Du Rhone, as well as having a lovely and pleasant stay in beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends