“Perfectly Warming (when you have the cold!)”
Review of The Governor Rocks - CLOSED

The Governor Rocks
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Feeling under the weather despite thinking I had shed the dreaded lurggie, I couldn't shake off a new cold. The answer was simple, 'The Governor Rocks' Spicy Tom Yum Soup! Arrived in just before the end of lunch service, (as I didn't want to infect anyone else) to find the place ticking over with a healthy crowd of diners. I asked young Alex McMillen on the floor for the extravagant Thai influenced seafood broth I have mentioned. It took no time to arrive.
The relief to my nasal passages was instantaneous with my first breath of the soup. It does not lie when it says it's spicy! Head cleared on first spoonful, and I started to feel a little a bit more human again! Packed with chilli, mussels and big chunks of cod or similar, it was just what was needed. Perfect for the cold, blustery winter afternoons but equally suitable for a light spring or summer dish, it was what the Doctor would've ordered! (He was having the fish pie at the next table!)
The décor is cheeky but welcoming, and service from Alex was perfect. All that plus Aimee Macs' inquisitive concern for my snuffles, big smile which could light up a room, and genuinely nice nature, my heart was warmed!!!
Ignore the negative reviews, they never seem to be able to list what they had, (although the drunk lady complaining about not getting a free birthday cake had me laughing out loud, worth the read for her bad spelling/typing/attitude!)
For £10.00 which covered the soup, a bottled beer and the tip, bargain! Today was just the pick-me-up I needed. Aimee, Alex, Bob and wee Phil, fantastic as always and many thanks!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Such a lovely place, food was delicious, staff were very friendly and attentive. Really nice atmosphere. Would definitely recommend. Look forward to visiting again

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My two friends and I came in for a meal on NYE and what a night it was! Amazing food and amazing staff, we had a extremely pleasant waitress Amy, very attentive. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone! I never feel the need to write on trip adviser about anything even if it is a bad experience but I always have a nosey on trip adviser before I go anywhere and due to some previous negative reviews, I felt the need to let everyone know about our experience in the restaurant and how much of a pleasure it was. The food was also at an exceedingly high standard for a cheap price and there was a lot to offer for non fish lovers like myself. I would highly recommend and it's definitely worth the trip!

1  Thank MartinB122
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Had another great night in GR! Staff are great. & so attentive. Sorry to see a post here from New Year's Eve. Seems very destructive which makes me think this is not a 'true customer' but a competitor who is trying to destroy them. No matter what format candles for birthday were brought to me, the fact staff made an effort would be enough!!! I pose the question... Did they complain about problems on the night or use this site to slate a wonderful restaurant. We go on a regular basis & feel trip advisor should remove it as it review names names which is against the 'rules' Sorry to see such a fab place get such an unjustified review . Will def be back soon! Great food & fab staff

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Booked a table of 19 people for 30th December at 8.30. Within half an hour of arriving we were the only table in the restaurant. Unfortunately as the night progressed it was apparent the staff would rather not have been working at all. Our order was taken swiftly and starters arrived. These were all received well and of an adequate standard. Unfortunately as the starters started to be removed the main courses arrived so some people were literally having their starter taken away as their main course was set down!
As some of the party walked past the open kitchen on their way to the toilet the chefs were sitting on the work tops drinking cans of beer.
At no point during the entire service were any bottles removed from the table.
As regards food quality the table were generally happy and the prices are good value but unfortunately with such bad service I'm afraid it's not a restaurant I would return to.

3  Thank Jean P