“Hit or Miss!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Called again today for a quick lunch. Have had great meals here but also have had poor. Consistency seams to be a problem. Staff great and lovely location. Wine glasses dirty, simple starters Smoke Cod Fish cake was cold, wet and coating overdone. Chicken starter really dry. We did say to staff as we didn't finish meal, but told 'sorry about that'. Paid in full and went elsewhere, never again.

2  Thank Feetofflames35
There are newer reviews for The Governor Rocks

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Great for lunch, great for dinner and now great for breakfast!
Good quality produce, cooked well and great value as tea and coffee is included.
Can't understand how its not rated no.1 in Donaghadee.
It is miles ahead of the others in menu and service.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This restaurant really surprised me, first impression was it was very simply laid out and didn't look that good buy after we where seated and looked round it was very nice. The staff where very friendly and helpful throughout the whole meal, the atmosphere with all the candles lite on all the tables added to it all. We shared our starter: Mussels with White Wine, followed by two main courses: Governors Fish Pie, Braised Lamb and some chips which where all washed down with a few glasses of wine. Dessert: Sticky Toffee Pudding & Pannacotta. The whole meal was without doubt gorgeous and faultless. Not only would I recommend this restaurant but I intend to visit this place again and again.

1  Thank seirceil
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We visited for Sunday lunch on a Groupon voucher. The menu was pretty comprehensive and all available. We chose the goats cheese with parma ham and whitebait as starters both of which were very good. For mains my wife had Roast Sea Bass with prawns and capers on samphire with new potatoes whilst I had the duo of Monkfish and Mackerel with sweet red onions, roast potatoes and a massaman curry sauce (which I had on the side). They have a very nice Chablis which complemented the fish really well. We followed it up with the cheese board. The cheeses were ripe and tasty and served with crisped homemade bread. I do not think the prices were exorbitant given the quality and quantity of the dishes and £24.00 for a good Chablis is no over the top (we didn't realize you could bring your own wine). The staff were very young and friendly if not totally au-fait with the dishes but then this was not Deanes. The decor is definitely different but does not detract from the atmosphere. An enjoyable experience and we will probably call again.

1  Thank MHJ62
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Let me be honest, I am a huge fan of this quaint little restaurant, and I am gobsmacked that it is rated 5th on this site when another restaurant has only had 5 reviews at the time of my writing this.
If you are a tourist and thinking of visiting The Governor Rocks, take my advice, GO!
I have been attending 'The Gov' on Saturday and Sunday mornings of late to sample their Breakfast menu, normally sticking to the Eggs Benedict or Florentine as I am not a huge fan of an Ulster Fry. Finally I took the plunge and had the full fry, and what a fry it was!
Many restaurants when doing a full Ulster go for size, throwing together a mountain of breads and sausages, eggs and bacon, normally swimming in grease, and it was always this that put me off.
Not so here! The chefs in 'The Gov' have remembered one important fact... flavour. With thick cut flavoursome bacon, succulent steak sausages, mushrooms sautéed in butter, obligatory fried egg, potato and soda bread and (one of your five a day) fried tomato, this is a first class full Ulster (and thank God, no beans in site!). My faith is restored in the humble cooked breakfast. No cheating involved either, everything done traditionally in a pan, unlike some places who use deep fat fryers (yeah, really!) just to make sure that the bread is dead.
The food was well presented, non greasy, busting with flavour and highly enjoyable. I'm craving another as I type this review.
All in all, great food, ever reliable and friendly service, in funky surroundings with one of the best views in town,and for the price of £6.95 which includes a generous glass of orange juice and tea or coffee, a bargain! Highly recommended.

1  Thank Michael M